DSI Evolver desktop

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Be without
Opposite
DSI Evolver desktop

Post by Be without »

Hello
I was wondering if anyone on here has any thoughts/experience of the dsi evolver desktop synth. There is one for sale in my local area but don't know much about them. Looks an interesting little box.

Thanks

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: DSI Evolver desktop

Post by Críoch »

I've got a MEK - The one with the keyboard.

Its a great synth.. but you have to spend some time with it to learn its controls. Theres a lot there.

Its crazy.. 4 independent sequencers that you can use to modulate anything. 4 LFO's. A Mod envelope for anything. 2 analog Osc's and 2 Digital - that you can FM & RIng Mod. Its got a 5th dial in Noise OSC.

You can also use it as an fx module. It has Distortion. A Bitcrusher. A resonating feedback thing. And 3 delays! You can use it as a filterbank, sequencers running, changing this that & the other, all affecting the audio signal in. It can sound fucking mental on incoming stuff. Stereo In.

You can open the Osc's and make evolving drones with it too. Its fucking crazy. I love it. Its a great synth, can totally sound clean sounding or dirty if you like (quite easily) and is also a crazy fx module all in one package. I'd definitely get one if you can afford & if its not for you, move it on.

Only weakness has been the encoders.. which is SUCH a pity. They skip values.

If you are going to consider it.. really spend some time checking it out. Try each encoder & make sure it is not skipping. I'm not sure if the problem was on the desktop version as well, but sure you can research that beforehand.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

and I forgot.. the seq's are cool. I dont know how to explain it, but you can have 4 steps 1/16, then the next 2 1/12 and so on etc..
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

and.. it loves a nice reverb & delay. If you do get one, hook a midi keyboard into it, make some PWM type pads & you can get some seriously epic sounding walls of sound from it.

Been playing mine lots this evening.. my enthusiasm probably shows :D

Be without
Opposite

Post by Be without »

Thanks. I really want one now. Would it be suitable as my only hardware synth? I don't have much space. Is it a decent all rounder.
I contacted seller and he wants £350 o.n.o. Good price?

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I started with the Mopho keys but sold that and now have a Evolver desktop. Soundwise the evolver certainly was a upgrade.
The desktop version is often hated for the matrix style of programming but If you put some time in it you will get it.
I am familiar with the matrix style from my Yamaha An1x.
Also keep in mind that the display of the desktop module is very small compared to the display of the keyboard version. I never had problems with my encoders but the keyboard version is well know for encoder malfunction.
If you ever get a keyboard version get the version with potmeters because the encoder version comes with a bottle of DeOxit :shock: .
Also read 'The Definitive Guide To Evolver by Anu Kirk' manual. It's far better then the original manual.
It's possible that one day I will buy a key version to add to my collection because the Evolver certainly is a special synth for me (slut mode on ;) ).
When buying one, do ask if the serial number is above 1859, because otherwise you might need to upgrade the Main PIC processor.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

They might go for a little cheaper on ebay if you hold out.. but it's probably a good price, worth the extra to go & see it / totally check it out before you buy.

I think I'd be able to handle the editing matrix now, just cos I understand how the mek works.. but i dont think it would be that bad if you were willing to give it a go. You would need to know what you are doing to some degree. I can't imagine that there would be instant gratification with the desktop.

It definitely needs a keyboard hooked into it to get it singing. Looking at it as a groove box; sequencer is kinda wrong. It's a module.

That anu kirk manual is wicked.

I hope to get the PE boards this year at some point. I went for the ALPS (??) Encoders to replace the dying encoders. They're grand.. but dented. Going from 0 to 2 on some parameters like the HP filter is very noticeable, like on/off. I know I'll end up spending more money on this synth.. including new knobs.. but it's incredible. Well worth it. I'd hate to ever get rid of it. It's a beautiful thing.

Be without
Opposite

Post by Be without »

Thanks for the advice people. I'm 40 in a couple weeks so would like to buy myself something special. This could be it although I was hoping the seller was going to come back with a lower price. Will need to give it some thought. Would like a decent synth to keep and learn.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

All rounder synth? Hmm.. it's as deep as your imagination. There's so much it can do. I haven't really got great drum sounds from it lol.. but sure it's so good at being itself , who cares.

I made this fucked up bitcrushed stab tonight, right outta nowhere. Fitted perfectly into what I was doing. It was sounding like a ww2 air raid siren 15sec before that. I don't mind that it can't do drums for me.. but of course, it can do percussive.. but you know what i mean.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Be without wrote:Thanks for the advice people. I'm 40 in a couple weeks so would like to buy myself something special. This could be it although I was hoping the seller was going to come back with a lower price. Will need to give it some thought. Would like a decent synth to keep and learn.
Cool! Congrats :)

Look.. nothing is permanent. It might work out.. maybe not & you can sell for something else. I had my MEK for a good while before I 'got it'. I probably only really feel 50% at ease with it if truth be told. But it's amazing. Probably over promising a lot here :) .. but it will reward you if you can give it the time.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hey Wolf..

Just a question about your desktop. Do you have a midi keyboard hooked up to it? Have you ever had any success using an external keyboard to input notes into the step sequencer?

The MEK has an Arp feature.. hit a certain amount of keys & it'll cycle through them. However I think I've read somewhere about inputting pitches via an external midi keyboard &/or the MEK's keyboard. I havent had any luck doing it yet. I've tried doing it with the laptop keypad - no dice.

Rereading the Anu Kirk & MEK manuals again tonight - but just wondering what you get up to.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Got it working. Did an os update.

Great synth.. been totally lost in it with headphones for the last 2hrs. Whenever I sit down with a plan, it always comes up with a more interesting one :)

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Hey Crioch,

I fire the notes to the Evolver with my Zaquencer.
I almost never use the internal sequencer but your post is triggering me to use it more often.
Although that's one of the reasons I want to buy a key version someday.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

That's cool. It is easier just to run it off midi :)

It's a great synth alright. I think if I could only choose one to keep...

I've never used any other DSI stuff, so can't compare, but it's incredible how many modulation sources there are. You can fill up & assign the sequencers.. and also map them to 4 other places.. or lfos. So many cross modulation options.

Found out that you can use noise to modulate too. Been spending a lot of time with it the last few days. Never fails to impress. Sometimes its as versatile / fully featured as a piece of software.. in that youre spoiled for choice & can do anything pretty much. I can see why people say that's it's a bit modular in its dna.

And the sequencers can run different lengths at the same time! :mrgreen: