Ableton Live - Simpler vs Audio

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
yentz
site spammer
Ableton Live - Simpler vs Audio

Post by yentz »

Hi,
just watching some videos regarding simpler and wondering if there is any advantage to using simpler instead of audioediting.
I am not talking about sounds that I am going to "play" with the keyboard. More about loops / recordings. I am getting the idea behind simpler but if I don't want my edited sliced whatever loop to be static I have to edit the midi notes, automate parameters and then workwise I am where I am when using audio except that audio gives a clear visual feedback when looking at the arrangement.
Very open to hear what others think of it and new ideas... .

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Ableton Live - Simpler vs Audio

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well simpler almost has all the features of the audio engine now.
The difference is as you say in that simpler allows midi playing and everything that comes with that, but audio offers much more detailed warp function and direct audio manipulation.

So they both serve different purposes.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

right on,

I mainly use a simpler with a pattern and start swapping samples with that quickswap function
on the right bottom of the simpler in ableton.
After that i drag the sample to an audio track and pitch it to the root of the track,
for percussion I use the Beat warp for audio with only 1 arrow pointing to the right and tighten it up.
freeze / flatten (or resample)and drag it to a simpler or a sampler
(depending on if i wanna play a melody or just sample it)
and tweak so it fits the track :)
tweak the envelopes a bit to tighten it even more and slap an eq + some desirable effects after it.
GG, tight :D

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

Gonna try this One.
Is there any way to slice in simpler and edit the slices individually without spreading them onto a drum rack?

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

yes actually there is, but it is quite complicated the first time, ima search a video for you on it.

edit:
https://youtu.be/mniqlV2VKA4

this is also an option wich might fit your needs :)

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Your timing posting this literally couldn't be better. I was wondering about this at lunch! Thanks so much!

tenga
brown envelope

Post by tenga »

Ive think about this A LOT !!! and i think you are right... there is something fishy about simpler.... i notice it a lot when i use a drumrack...the drums just dont sound as good as if i do it directly in the wave editor..... i've noticed there is a diference specially with kick sounds....

even if i match the -12db on the volume and compare , it sounds quite better on the wave editor....
maybe it is the parameters that simpler uses as default need a little tweak ... i DONT KNOW ....

But since i noticed this , i do my kicks in the wave editor , and i get better results a LOT FASTER.... TRUST ME !!! Kicks just sound lousy bad in simpler...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

tenga wrote:Ive think about this A LOT !!! and i think you are right... there is something fishy about simpler.... i notice it a lot when i use a drumrack...the drums just dont sound as good as if i do it directly in the wave editor..... i've noticed there is a diference specially with kick sounds....

even if i match the -12db on the volume and compare , it sounds quite better on the wave editor....
maybe it is the parameters that simpler uses as default need a little tweak ... i DONT KNOW ....

But since i noticed this , i do my kicks in the wave editor , and i get better results a LOT FASTER.... TRUST ME !!! Kicks just sound lousy bad in simpler...
sorry, but from what you describe you probably just got some setting wrong in Simpler.
There really is no reason for kicks to sound worse in Simpler than in your external audio editor.
My guess is your envelopes aren't correct somehow.
For something like a kick you'd probably want your amp envelope to be 0 attack, 0 decay and full sustain and a little release (if your kick even makes it to the release part of your envelope)
Also, be aware that even if you match your levels, if you trigger Simpler with a note that doesn't have a high enough velocity and the velocity setting is on in Simpler (I think it's standard on something like 50 or 60%, not sure), your kick will of course sound more quiet than normal.

There would of course be a difference between the different settings (beats/complex/tones/...) of audio clips.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

I only use Simpler when I want to play the sound chromatically...

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

tenga wrote:Ive think about this A LOT !!! and i think you are right... there is something fishy about simpler.... i notice it a lot when i use a drumrack...the drums just dont sound as good as if i do it directly in the wave editor..... i've noticed there is a diference specially with kick sounds....

I think this is a case of a bad workman etc...

I`ve been using simpler for kicks for years, and whilst I don`t claim to have the best kicks in the world, they sound pretty good to me.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.