Akai new MPC

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amøbe
Moderate
Akai new MPC

Post by Amøbe »

http://cdm.link/2017/01/akais-standalon ... ur-laptop/

So there's a new MPC without a computer. What do you guys think?

I've personally thought that the industry of music making has been moving towards the tactile for some years now, and this is just reinforcing it. I wonder if there will be a major move in ten years towards software again or something? (or maybe I'm just wrong)

arkos
Re: Akai new MPC

Post by arkos »

Personally I've never got why people wan't to sequence anything with a tiny little screen like those old Mpc's but this looks like it actually might be a joy to use. I'll never pay those prices for either of those though.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

arkos wrote:Personally I've never got why people wan't to sequence anything with a tiny little screen like those old Mpc's but this looks like it actually might be a joy to use. I'll never pay those prices for either of those though.
You don't sequence with the screen, you sequence by pressing record and banging those sweet pads! Simple as chips, that's why people love them.

Editing is not always fun with them though and learning to play those pads takes a while.

I've made several MPC tracks where everything is unquantized live playing with those pads. It's one way to work, though I do understand that if you come from a "point and click with a mouse" kind of workflow it can take a while to really learn to appreciate MPC's.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Amøbe wrote:http://cdm.link/2017/01/akais-standalon ... ur-laptop/

So there's a new MPC without a computer. What do you guys think?

I've personally thought that the industry of music making has been moving towards the tactile for some years now, and this is just reinforcing it. I wonder if there will be a major move in ten years towards software again or something? (or maybe I'm just wrong)

Looks like an MPC with a computer to me, it has a screen :o must be rubbish for that reason cos screens are wack and little LEDs are BETTAZ!!!
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

Think everything is great fun machines, computers etc but I must say I always have a little chuckle when people stress there's no computers involved. There's something very I eat food out of a dog bowl and ride a vegan bicycle about it as a statement. It looks fun though ha

arkos

Post by arkos »

Barfunkel wrote:
I've made several MPC tracks where everything is unquantized live playing with those pads. It's one way to work, though I do understand that if you come from a "point and click with a mouse" kind of workflow it can take a while to really learn to appreciate MPC's.
My first sampler was Akai S2000 with a tiny lcd :mrgreen: But yeah I chose the wrong words there as I surly meant to say editing :mrgreen:

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Interesting... Still lacks allot of the possibilities and ease of use compared to Ableton for example. I dont see myself buying one especially for that price. I am however think of the mpc1000 for live setup purposes. I really like how Octave One uses it in their setup. A used mpc 1000 goes for about 1/4 of what they are asking for their new base model!

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

The only thing that will replace my 7 year old laptop will be a new one.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Although I'm a dedicated hardware guy, at that price I'd easy go for a laptop/surface, midi pads, knob box, soundcard and duct tape.

akai wtf? you can get a raspberry pi with 7" touchscreen for 1/10th of the price.

arkos

Post by arkos »

innovine wrote:Although I'm a dedicated hardware guy, at that price I'd easy go for a laptop/surface, midi pads, knob box, soundcard and duct tape.

akai wtf? you can get a raspberry pi with 7" touchscreen for 1/10th of the price.
There is nothing a little rape tape can't fix :lol:

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

Markus Wolf wrote:Interesting... Still lacks allot of the possibilities and ease of use compared to Ableton for example. I dont see myself buying one especially for that price. I am however think of the mpc1000 for live setup purposes. I really like how Octave One uses it in their setup. A used mpc 1000 goes for about 1/4 of what they are asking for their new base model!
I dunno about that - as far as I know a used mpc 1000 will set you back at least £400, probably more like £500, and the mpc live is looking to be £800 new, and a shitload more powerful. Sure it's a lot of money, but looked at that way it's not unreasonable. Cheaper than an Octatrack I think? I want to know a lot more about it before I switch into drool mode, but they most definitely have my attention.

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

I was hoping to find a post on this. Been a while since Ive been on subsekt, good to see the comedy levels are in good order.

From what I read, I don't see anything revolutionary about this piece of kit. Probably because I do not know much about the MPCs.
Could someone briefly explain, for example, how you would write a track on the old one, compared to this one?

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

You'd probably record a track in the very same way, either with bashing on the pads or by playing an external keyboard. One difference would be in the editing of midi events, the mpc1000 with jjos shows notes on a low rez green lcd screen, and you move a cursor around with shift and arrows to move between notes and change their duration and velocity. Its not very painful, but its not entirely smooth either. This new one gives the impression that you could easily use the touchscreen for this, but I'm not going to speculate more. The stuff about audio tracks is interesting. There is very primitive support for audiotracks on mpc1000 with jjos already but its kinda a hack. No idea if the new one does it better, but one would hope so. Since I've not heard of anyone actually having used one yet, I'm not about to jump to any conclusions... akai have released nothing but disappointments in a row for the last 10 years

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

Hmmm. So not so much in that sense except for an upgrade on the screen functionality.

Does anybody know how you would use custom grooves with something like this?

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Esh wrote:
Turn off quantization, press record, bang those pads, there's your custom groove.

I mean, this is the attraction about MPC's.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

Barfunkel wrote:
Esh wrote:
Turn off quantization, press record, bang those pads, there's your custom groove.

I mean, this is the attraction about MPC's.

Yes true that is the point, and one way of doing it. But I meant when specifically being able to apply a groove from another part of your track?

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

The cv outs are pretty cool run them into some eurorack drum modules and you'd have a upgradable drum machine

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

im actually interested in this even though I have never really gelled with my previous mpc 2000 and mpc 2500s

yes it doesnt do anything that ableton and launcpad and fader box does

but sometimes its nice just be different for a change

and realistically Ill get more use out of loading this with 5000 drum samples than a tr8 or drumbrute