arkos
Re: New Jomox Alpha Base - drumcomputer

Post by arkos »

It's a sampler with 2 analog voices :D

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

oh and a crappy fm voice, don't forget that..

game changer imo

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Huck Farper wrote: game changer imo
:D

tbh though : do you guys own any Jomox gear (or did you ever own any in the past) ?
Just asking to be sure you're not having a laugh with something just looking at the specs (without having ever tried any of his products).

I used to own the Airbase99, then sampled it completely and sold it (too much menu-diving),
later on I got myself the Xbase888 (which actually broke down after 2 weeks or so, but obviously I got it repaired for free).
A friend of mine bought an Airbase99 based on hearing it here, and is now happily controlling it with some M4L preset.

I'll be honest, I have very mixed feelings about Jomox gear (just talking about his drum computers here now, not the 1 or 2 exotic things he ever did).
There are parts of it that I really don't like, and other parts...
well... you can't deny the guy is able to make some fucking great sounding kicks, (also nice snares and hats)
and it's really easy with his gear.
In my sample pack I included about 50 kicks, of which approx. 20 were done with my Jomox, 30 were done with an (older) plugin (Waldorf attack),
I doubt many would be able to tell the difference in a blindfold test,
but yeah, the ones done with the Jomox were done in minutes, while the others took me quite a bit longer.

what bothers me most with this product, is the fact that he hasn't changed anything at all (as far as I can tell from here) about his sequencer.
I was for example quite excited when I saw some video's of the DrumBrute, mostly because of the sequencer.

Jurgen Michaelis just drives far too much on repeating the same style of products.
Most of what his products do, they do very well, but it's always rather limited,
and when he adds some extra stuff, he makes it look as if it's totally revolutionary while it's still ancient (specs-wise) compared to what we can do nowadays.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I am looking at an M Base right now, any feelings on those? I feel like I need a dedicated kick synth and am super leary of the Volcas for some reason...Even though I think I'm gonna pick up the volca Kick to pop my cherry.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

Hades wrote:
Huck Farper wrote: game changer imo
:D

tbh though : do you guys own any Jomox gear (or did you ever own any in the past) ?
Just asking to be sure you're not having a laugh with something just looking at the specs (without having ever tried any of his products).

I used to own the Airbase99, then sampled it completely and sold it (too much menu-diving),
later on I got myself the Xbase888 (which actually broke down after 2 weeks or so, but obviously I got it repaired for free).
A friend of mine bought an Airbase99 based on hearing it here, and is now happily controlling it with some M4L preset.

I'll be honest, I have very mixed feelings about Jomox gear (just talking about his drum computers here now, not the 1 or 2 exotic things he ever did).
There are parts of it that I really don't like, and other parts...
well... you can't deny the guy is able to make some fucking great sounding kicks, (also nice snares and hats)
and it's really easy with his gear.
In my sample pack I included about 50 kicks, of which approx. 20 were done with my Jomox, 30 were done with an (older) plugin (Waldorf attack),
I doubt many would be able to tell the difference in a blindfold test,
but yeah, the ones done with the Jomox were done in minutes, while the others took me quite a bit longer.

what bothers me most with this product, is the fact that he hasn't changed anything at all (as far as I can tell from here) about his sequencer.
I was for example quite excited when I saw some video's of the DrumBrute, mostly because of the sequencer.

Jurgen Michaelis just drives far too much on repeating the same style of products.
Most of what his products do, they do very well, but it's always rather limited,
and when he adds some extra stuff, he makes it look as if it's totally revolutionary while it's still ancient (specs-wise) compared to what we can do nowadays.
Sure, I've owned a Mbase 01, Mbase 11, T-resonator, and M-resonator over the years.

I don't miss any of them. Sure the kicks were nice, but they mostly all sounded the same, had this tone you couldn't shake if you wanted to. I prefer ITB kicks for production. I've kept an mbase for live fun.. because jomox kicks on a system sound like world war.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

I was told by a friend who owned a Jomox 999 that programming the sequencer is a bit of a pain in the ass so Hades is correct about that.
But I wanted to post this as drumcomputers are always interesting and maybe Jürgen fixed some issues with the sequencer.
I still want to try the Jomox Mbase11 for the kicks :D .

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

WOLF! wrote:I was told by a friend who owned a Jomox 999 that programming the sequencer is a bit of a pain in the ass so Hades is correct about that.
But I wanted to post this as drumcomputers are always interesting and maybe Jürgen fixed some issues with the sequencer.
so this is how far I've sunk,
you need a friend's opinion to believe my words.
godverdomme. :D

come over here for a day and check out my Jomox if you want to hear the kicks and try out the sequencer for yourself. ;)
(or you can get my Live pack and have about 20 kicks already)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Hades wrote:
WOLF! wrote:I was told by a friend who owned a Jomox 999 that programming the sequencer is a bit of a pain in the ass so Hades is correct about that.
so this is how far I've sunk,
you need a friend's opinion to believe my words.
godverdomme. :D

come over here for a day and check out my Jomox if you want to hear the kicks and try out the sequencer for yourself. ;)
(or you can get my Live pack and have about 20 kicks already)
:D :D Hey Moatjen!
I DO believe your opinion but I was told this already a few years ago by a gear obsessed producer.
I was hoping that Jürgen also fixed the OS with his new drumcomputer, because that's a very important issue in the hardware world. If hardware does not work the way I want (or call it understand) it gets sold over here.
All the love for you Hades! Someday we meet in a massive hardware music gangbang :D!

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

With hardware you mean the new "Jamal 3000 XL (Black Edition)" dildo, right?
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Hey Mono, thx for pointing out the Jamal 3000 XL, seems like some big ass pounding hardware to jam with :D .
If you have some other recommendation about great hardware (maybe the JoCox but-plug?) then feel free to add your review to this topic.
What lubricant do you advise to accompany the Jamal 3k XL?