Where's all the right wingers?

General Chat // Music Discussion
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Where's all the right wingers?

Post by jordanneke »

Just listened to a doc on how we all live in social bubbles, like through facesuck, twatter, and instawank.

However, even on here, we are all within reason fairly similar in our views...

Are there any conservatives that like techno, any rightwingers who dance to house?

Or did we kick all those people with different views off this forum?

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Re: Where's all the right wingers?

Post by msl »

Listening to EDM and bro step...

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Techno, house, jungle, d&b, jazz, ambient etc

Whatever sounds good and soothes the mind.

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

I've come across only a few right wing house fans IRL, they tend to be pretty small in numbers since I suppose dancing to music that came from black, latino, queer, trans etc. peoples (or being heavily involved in much outside of 'traditional' interests, career aspirations, etc.) is never gonna be a hotbed?

Tbh these thoughts are at least partly inspired by the horrible news from Oakland over the weekend and some of the reactions I saw to it - it's clear that there's a lot of people out there who hate you and simply don't value your life just if you're, say, an artist, in any way living an 'alternative lifestyle', pierced or tattooed, a potential Democrat voter, generally even a bit outside the mainstream, etc...

Maybe there's more in the more mainstream sides of house music?

I do however know a fair few moderate/liberal* types in the club scene, the type of people who'd deny that the music scene or society at large has issues with race, gender, etc, or if not at least claim that making a big deal out of these things just puts people against each other more. The ones who denigrate safe space policies, despair at making "everything about race/gender/sexuality", think a lack of female DJs is just the way it is, blame the "reactionary left" when people vote in a right-wing leader, accuse those criticising racism of being as "intolerant" in the bad sense as the racists themselves... IMO they're almost as bad as the proper right-wingers, I'm losing patience for the centre ground these days, either you oppose oppression or your silence keeps you complicit. At least their hearts are more in the right place I suppose? House/techno didn't come from people whose races, sexual orientations and lifestyles fit the conservative mold.

*to clarify I'm meaning liberal as a specific ideology (from my background of slight involvement in politics in the UK), not in the American "pretty much anyone left of the centre-right" sense

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Ofc there are, in minority probably but still..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I don't run in to many on my techno travels.
My old partner in soundsystem days was as right wing as fuck.
Racist, sexiest, volatile, conservative... He was also a true psychopath and a very damaged individual.
He was also my best mate.
Weird as it sounds.
Its complicated.

Other than him I don't really deal with many right wingers day to day. The arts tend to be left/liberal.
Where I live though, out in the east end, there are a lot of die hard right wing, bnp types and I have had a few arguments when out and about and encountering racism.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Underground dance music tends to be centered around big citities which are more liberal in general than rural areas. Also the dance music scene is mostly people under 40 which are also more liberal than older peple. Not to mention that conservatives tend to hate the hedonistic dance music lifestyle.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

So there's no-one on here who is a right winger? I mean I get that we are mostly male, educated enough to write without spelling mistakes, some of us even properly speak 2 or more languages, but are we even similar with political views?

Dance music has 'properly' been a major force in youth culture in europe since 1988 or so. That means that the original ravers are in their 50's now. So it's not just because we are 'young' that we are liberal.

So what do all the right-wingers listen to and make and party to? All those who desperately want to leave the EU, all those who don't want refugees, all those who think Trump is a good idea?

They all can't be at home rocking out to Nazi punk, can they?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Maybe it's MDMA that stops people being right wing?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

jordanneke wrote:are we even similar with political views?
I haven't seen anything from one prominent member since the Brexit thread, which is a shame.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Well our movement is very liberal in lifestyle, economics and everyday views, mostly. And I mean original liberalism, not as in neo liberal or borderline conservative crap. So it's no wonder there are not that many right wing people.

Find the right wingers over at the biggest EDM festival shoving their hands in the air to music that takes any decently skilled creator approx 40 min to make per track, with good result.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

Not sure if I ever met a real right winger in my life, ever. Except from the retards shown on TV talking about lost memories (got to love southpark's member berries!) and how awesome the world was ages ago.
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

Patriek wrote:Not sure if I ever met a real right winger in my life, ever. Except from the retards shown on TV talking about lost memories (got to love southpark's member berries!) and how awesome the world was ages ago.
I hadn't come across loads until my job led me to spending a lot of time working in the South of England, turns out your stereotypical Daily Mail reading, military-glorifying, benefits-claimant-hating, Legitimate Concerns About Immigration types aren't just a caricature ;)

A lot of people are quite conservative even if they don't shout loudly about it though, surely UK and US election results are revealing of that.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Planar wrote:
jordanneke wrote:are we even similar with political views?
I haven't seen anything from one prominent member since the Brexit thread, which is a shame.
Recognized this as well.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

disparate wrote:
Patriek wrote:Not sure if I ever met a real right winger in my life, ever. Except from the retards shown on TV talking about lost memories (got to love southpark's member berries!) and how awesome the world was ages ago.
I hadn't come across loads until my job led me to spending a lot of time working in the South of England, turns out your stereotypical Daily Mail reading, military-glorifying, benefits-claimant-hating, Legitimate Concerns About Immigration types aren't just a caricature ;)

A lot of people are quite conservative even if they don't shout loudly about it though, surely UK and US election results are revealing of that.
Agreed! But I wonder if those voters/people are actually right winged, or just ignorant and plain stupid and only think about their own needs.
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well yeah right wing/conservatives do close up about it.
I think this is part of the whole political correctness/social marxism they go on about. They feel they can`t talk about it for being castigated.
There is a great drive to increase dialogue between left and right, but the problem is in some cases you have to overcome endemic ignorance.

That whole rejection of experts thing.

I had an argument with my mum only the other day when she visited.

She asked me "don`t you think the country is full?" to which I replied
"mum I live in london, everywhere I travel has a lower population density than london, so no, I have yet to see people clinging on to the side of the country desperately hanging on due to there being no room".

To which she said "well I just use my eyes, there are too many people".

I tried to get her to look at some statistics on net migration and population distribution, and she just said "well, figures can`t be trusted, I just know we are full"

When people deny facts you can`t argue with them. You have nowhere to go.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Why do right-wingers clam up?

Honestly, if you have a strong opinion about shit then you should be able and willing to defend your opinion against others that have differing views.

If you can't successfully defend your views, then perhaps you need to change opinion.

Or if you're scared that your views maybe seen as shameful, racist or sexist, then perhaps you should change them too.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I think the main thing is that people dont listen. The left doesnt hear the right and the right doesnt here the left. Only this topic alone is proof. In almost every reply you can read an implementation that one is better that the other.

I think that people simply want to be recognized, they need someone to that acknowledges their ideas and simply share some thoughts.

I suggest to hear someone out before you argue with them, tell them you understand their point of view instead of making them change it. Then, when you've reaches a level of agreement you can introduce your view in a neutral way.

The person has no choice but to consider your opinion too or at least talk about it like adults.

The problem for this polarisation is that people dont fully engage in such discussions. They domt have 'time' to listen to another so they imidiately jump to their point of view. This way the transaction of thoughts skips the most crucial step.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I completely understand what you're saying, but the point that I was surprised at is that even on here, we're all pretty much the same.

I mean I know fuckbook is an echo chamber, but I didn't expect that here, a bunch of random cunts that the only thing we have in common is that we like music that goes 'untz untz untz'.

Even subsekt is polarised! But again if you think different to people, and get butt-hurt cos people call you out on it, then we are all doomed.

I get that the internet quickly raises the stakes to being called a nazi or stalin due to anonymity , but at least people should be prepared for the discussion.