Another mid budget monitor thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
borg
Lifer
Re: Another mid budget monitor thread

Post by borg »

ok, I'll jump on the wagon, instead of starting yet another thread in a few months time.

At the moment I'm looking MunroSonic Egg 150. While they look not as nice as a rectangular speaker, they're supposed to sound real well. Passive, with matching amp, the headphone amp inside is supposed to be top quality, great sound stage, depth, tight bass and whatnot. Anyone?

At the moment I'm using Adam A5 I got really cheap, and have Event PS8 boxed somewhere, too big for my current small room. When ordering the Events, I got a pair of Klein&Hummel demo speakers in the meantime. When finally the Events arrived, and I had to bring the K&Hs back... night and day difference. Of course the K&H were 3 times as expensive.

When the new room is ready, I'll try what I have first, but I know there's many leagues above these speakers.
The Events are active, and lack heat sinks, which alters the tone with prolonged work when heat builds up inside, I read somewhere. I haven't used them for years, so couldn't tell.

Those amphions look nice! Just slightly above my intended budget for the package.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

borg wrote:ok, I'll jump on the wagon, instead of starting yet another thread in a few months time.

At the moment I'm looking MunroSonic Egg 150. While they look not as nice as a rectangular speaker, they're supposed to sound real well. Passive, with matching amp, the headphone amp inside is supposed to be top quality, great sound stage, depth, tight bass and whatnot. Anyone?
Haven't tried them, though a local hifi dealer has them (which reminded me that I should pay them a visit and listen to some speakers). I have read about them though and they got an ok from my (now former) girlfiend, which might or might not be an issue, depending on whether you live alone or with someone.

Strange that you don't find them attractive though, to me they look the kind of speakers where looks have been thought of as well, not just the sound. Definitely girlfriend-approved, as opposed to most speakers which usually look very tool-like, not something to decorate the house with.

Of course, if you have a separate studio space, looks might not be an issue, except perhaps to attract clients.

Those amphions look nice! Just slightly above my intended budget for the package.
I've had a listening session with the Amphions (One18 model to be specific) and they are VERY nice. Of course cost a bit more than most hobbyists (and might be a bit too much for low-level pros as well) can afford and you need an amp as well (Amphion makes a matched amp, though the local dealer said it's not optimal and suggested something that costs 5k instead - not sure whether the Amphion amp is not actually sufficient or was he just trying to make a big sale).

I haven't heard that many speakers in the Amphion price range, but they beat (according to my ears) all the speakers in the 1000-1500€ price range I've heard. Really, really detailed.

Definitely worth at least a test drive at a local dealer, though a session like that can cause some serious GAS.

Speaking of GAS, I had a few years ago a pleasure to hear another Finnish manufacturer's 2.1. studio speaker system and it was absolutely INSANE, my mouth still fills with drool when I think about them. Aura Audio they're called, and it cost like 12k. The model I heard is not in production anymore though, I have no idea whether the current model that replaced it is as good. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the market for a serious mixing/mastering tool. Or if you have the chance, check them out just for giggles and to expand your experience.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

well, I suppose I'm a rectangular guy, just as my music. The eggs don't look bad, though. Anyway, looks are the least of my priorities with monitors, and it's in a separate room. Customers? Hehe! Nah, this is just what others might call midlife crisis purchase for the man cave.
I wonder how your local dealer looks like, where you can A/B/C/D/... compare all those different brands/models. It makes no sense to me to test these at different locations. Even then, it would be more a feeling, than serious scientific based opinion in my case, I have to admit. (so why bother then to spend a fortune?)
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

borg wrote:ok, I'll jump on the wagon, instead of starting yet another thread in a few months time.

At the moment I'm using Adam A5 I got really cheap, and have Event PS8 boxed somewhere, too big for my current small room. When ordering the Events, I got a pair of Klein&Hummel demo speakers in the meantime. When finally the Events arrived, and I had to bring the K&Hs back... night and day difference. Of course the K&H were 3 times as expensive.

When the new room is ready, I'll try what I have first, but I know there's many leagues above these speakers.
The Events are active, and lack heat sinks, which alters the tone with prolonged work when heat builds up inside, I read somewhere. I haven't used them for years, so couldn't tell.

I was thinking eggs for my monitor change this year but I think I have changed my mind, might change it again though. Very very good monitors and the new generation have better bass response. Tested a pair at MPG demo in angel studios and was very impressed.
Definitely a smart buy.

I honestly think amphions are overpriced though, my mate has the one18s and they look great great but soundwise I wasnt blown away. He switched to them from A77X and its not made much of a difference if any to his production and he is a good producer. Obviously when you get in to high end the differences are small increments, but even so I wasnt hugely impressed. The closed box with passive radiator does mean the low end is tight though. My mainroom monitors use the same tech and it is a good way to combine "porting" with sealed enclosure. You really notice the tightness on kicks, but still with weight. Amphions I think have a little scandi hype about them.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Yep lots of hype around the Amphion's, overpriced too. But... sexiness is fucking important in a monitor you'll be sitting in front of and looking at for days on end :)

Regarding GAS and hi-end speakers its probably better you don't hear them!!! you'll get their sound out of your head! and never enjoy your low end ones quite the same again...

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

They are sexy.
But at 2 and a half grand there are a lot of sexy speakers for that cash especially if you dive in to the audiophile land of passives.
New Shit

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Regarding the price of the Amphions, they are hand made in Finland. Were they made in a factory in China by 12-year old slaves, with exactly the same parts, they'd of course be a lot cheaper

It's a difficult equation though... Many people want cheap stuff, many people want stuff made in Western countries for environmental and humanitarian reasons, many people want high quality stuff. It's impossible to get all three.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I'd rather give my money to 12 year old slaves.
The fins are fine, they have great social care and a high suicide rate.
Spoiled children the lot of them.
New Shit

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Hah! Try being poor and in a tough situation in Helsinki, like I am at the moment, it's far from spoiled. The social care only goes so far, they do pay a bit if you're really poor, the problem (my current #1 problem), is finding someone who'll rent me an apartment, knowing I probably have to get the rent deposit money from social services. Most rather rent their place to someone with a steady level of proper income and some savings. There's a chance I'll end up living in the streets. Not necessarily a super high chance, but a few percent.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You could always kill yourself. I hear it is very popular over there.
Suicide and salted liquorice.

I have a mate (ex mate actually) who is living in Finland, he's not from there though. He's a late stage alcoholic killing himself with drink. The social care there is helping him along fine.
He's got a flat paid by social, they keep paying his hospital bills whenever he ends up there.
And they give him loads of funky meds he is abusing.

You should do that, he seems to be quite comfortable. Well... That might not be the right word.
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Lost to the Void wrote: Suicide and salted liquorice.
You forgot coffee. Oh and suicide, salted licorice and coffee is a very Scandinavian thing. We got lots of it here too. Happy times.
Why doesn't anyone else want some?
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Lost to the Void wrote:You could always kill yourself.
Not the nicest thing to say to a stranger, even if it was meant as a joke.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

If we can't laugh at death, there is no point laughing at all.
New Shit

pimo
rescued

Post by pimo »

How did this end up as a thread where white men complain about their tough situation?

Anyways, i will also move a bit off topic and ask those of you with more experience, how important is the audio interface? Im on a focusrite sapphire 6 usb at the moment and im 95% itb.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

sapphire 6 usb is a piece of crap. I would never depend on this in a live situation. I have one and use it from time to time if on the move and wanting to work on things away from home.
Interface is important. More so if you are recording into it. These are the boring things that you really want to spend money on. It is like a good set of monitors. When you have a decent interface, you'll know how bad a sapphire 6 is.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

pimo wrote:How did this end up as a thread where white men complain about their tough situation?
Does it change if I tell you if I happen to know he isn't white?

Regardless, that audio interface you use is entry-level.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

pimo
rescued

Post by pimo »

Mattias wrote:
pimo wrote:How did this end up as a thread where white men complain about their tough situation?
Does it change if I tell you if I happen to know he isn't white?

Regardless, that audio interface you use is entry-level.
Not really, that wasnt my point..

I know my interface is crap, but what would be a good choice/what pricerange should i aim for to get something decent? Apollo twin?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It`s not actually a crap interface, if it is for home studio use it is fine, the build quality on focusrite, even at the low end, is pretty good.

And of course, as has been discussed many times on here, there is very little noticeable difference between a £200 converter and £2000 converter, it`s other things that you are paying for, support, reliability, clock stability, pre-amps for recording etc etc

Unless you are having noticeable issues with your soundcard, don`t worry too much.
New Shit

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

You guys ever just get bored of your monitors?

I've had A7X's for a while and they're great. Mixes translate well, they sound okay, but i'm just getting bored of them. I turn them on and I'm just not "feeling" it. The sound is starting to become dull for me.

So i'm thinking about shelling out $2k for some new actives... and i'm taking any suggestions. I prefer 6.5-7 inch cabinets.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Bored of your monitors...... erm..
You have problems sir....
More problems than getting new monitors will fix.

Saying that, for 2k you can definitely get better than A7x`s, though I wouldn`t go active at that price, I`d go passive and get something much better than the equivalent money for actives. Of course, you need an amp.
New Shit