Midas Venice F-series for techno

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Midas Venice F-series for techno

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:
Hades wrote:one more thing : you do know this F32 is one big motherfucking mixer.
I mean, I only know pics from your living room corner studio.

It won't fit in there, that's for sure. ;)
Yeah, I know it's huge. Then again, what mixer with that amount of channels and features isn't?

I'm just about to rent a proper studio place, so space isn't a concern really.
I don't know how it is where you live, but I'd be very careful about theft if you actually rent a studio somewhere.
I live in a busy street, and the only way to enter my house is from the street side, but they are gonna build a small street at the back of my house in the next year, and I'm sure as hell getting an alarm system when they do.
I always think most of my studio gear would be too much of a hassle to disconnect, or unscrew from the racks or just be too "unique" or vintage to be easy enough for the typical burglar to steal,
but I'm not gonna take my chances.

Good luck to the thief who would try to steal my Midas Venice 32F without getting noticed by the neighbours though... Disconnect all those cables, carry it down all the stairs in my house, then through the garden, load it in a truck,...
You definitely need 2 people for the 32 model... :lol:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

kirkwoodwest
quasi-public

Post by kirkwoodwest »

I know this is an old thread but I'm reviving it. Been reading a lot of info on the Midas and I'm placing an order today for the F24. have to upgrade from this old soundcraft for my liveset and wanted something so I could record with.

For recording hardware/playing live the workflow seems obvious but I was wondering how some of you utilize it for mixing? Does it work mainly as a summing board and EQ in the box? Do you do any work with submixes/groups on it?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

kirkwoodwest wrote:I know this is an old thread but I'm reviving it.
http://www.limmy.com/
;)
kirkwoodwest wrote: Does it work mainly as a summing board and EQ in the box?
for me it does, but of course a lot depends on the way you use it to fit your own personal workflow.
EQ OUT of the box, btw, I love using the Midas' EQ on my sounds, no matter if it's from a HW or SW source.
I just run the source through my Midas, use the EQ, and rerecord it into Live.
kirkwoodwest wrote: Do you do any work with submixes/groups on it?
nope, not me,
but then again, I have all my gear routed to and from my 3 patchbays, so I have no need for submixing or grouping stuff.

kirkwoodwest
quasi-public

Post by kirkwoodwest »

Hades wrote:
kirkwoodwest wrote:I know this is an old thread but I'm reviving it.
;)
for me it does, but of course a lot depends on the way you use it to fit your own personal workflow.
EQ OUT of the box, btw, I love using the Midas' EQ on my sounds, no matter if it's from a HW or SW source.
So awesome. what is your workflow for doing this? i.e you have 5 channels recorded in live, you eq them all. Is there a way to resample each one? or do you sum them all at that point?

The only thing i'm finding frustrating now is having to get some XLR to TS cables to plugin my effects. Not sure why it has XLR for AUX outs, if only everything in the audio world was balanced. :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

kirkwoodwest wrote:
Hades wrote:
;)
So awesome. what is your workflow for doing this? i.e you have 5 channels recorded in live, you eq them all. Is there a way to resample each one? or do you sum them all at that point?

The only thing i'm finding frustrating now is having to get some XLR to TS cables to plugin my effects. Not sure why it has XLR for AUX outs, if only everything in the audio world was balanced. :)
Not sure what you mean but XLR is always balanced, it's TS that is unbalanced, TRS is balanced. (but perhaps that is what you meant and the TS is your frustration and not the XLR ??)

Of course you can resample all these channels.
But I just record them maximum 2 at the same time, because I don't use the FW part of my mixer since I use my FW soundcard.
I've also been told you can't use the level faders of the Midas if you use it's FW part (or now only USB part), but I can't confirm that since I never use it nor plan to ever use it.
I bought it to have a nice way to run all the HW I want at the same time if I want to, and have some good EQ and gain.
And of course because it's such a flexible mixer routing wise.

I have everything in my studio connected to 3 patchbays
(look up a recent topic about patchbays if you want to see more pics, I think there are a few of my studio in there as well, but I'm not sure).
all my HW is connected to my mono channels 1-22. (of course, all goes to the patchbays and then to the mixer, (which counts for all connections I will mention later on) but if I don't repatch, that's the standard path of my audio signal)
my soundcard's out 1&2 are into my 1st stereo channel (26)
and my Eventide 1&2 go into the 2nd one (28), 3&4 go into the 3rd one (30)
and my Fireworx goes into the 4th (32),
but I have more HW FX and at times I repatch them on 28, 30 or 32, in series or parallel (my patchbays are half-normalized so I can always double a signal if I want to)
I don't use my stereo returns because the way it is set up now, I have an EQ on the return channel of my FX, and extra gain.
It's an old "dub" trick to do it this way, or so I've been told.
I never use my direct outs.
I don't use the matrix mixer either.
I have my group 1&2 connected to my soundcard's ins 3&4 (1&2 are at the front so I never use these)
group 3&4 are connected to soundcard's ins 5&6, though I seldomly use them.
So whenever I wanna record HW or rerecord some channel of Live, I push my group 1&2 buttons and open up my group level faders.
(and when it's an audio channel from Live, I make sure I take them out of my stereo channel or solo the channel or whatever to prevent feedback or recording other channels with it)
To send stuff to my 3 FX units, I use my monitor out 1&2, and my aux out 1&2 and 3&4.
(I don't need monitor out anyway, I just have the stereo out of my Midas directly connected to my Focals)

This is just the way I set it up after looking at all the ins and outs for a day or two and thinking about how I wanted to work,
but yeah, I do have 14 HW synths (just recounted to be sure, always figured I had 12), 6 HW FX units, and too many plugins,
and I can literally record all I want in any way I want, and route it all the way I want in a matter of 20 seconds if I want.
So I guess I can't complain. ;)

kirkwoodwest
quasi-public

Post by kirkwoodwest »

Thanks for the great breakdown of your use with the Midas. I just built a new desk to put this beast on.

Needed to order some new connectors to make the XLR to TS cables for my effect pedals running Aux out. I plan on returning them back onto the stereo bus for recording on the FW card.

I'll be sure to post how the FW interface works as Its one of the main reasons I purchased this one over any other mixer.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

kirkwoodwest wrote:Thanks for the great breakdown of your use with the Midas. I just built a new desk to put this beast on.

Needed to order some new connectors to make the XLR to TS cables for my effect pedals running Aux out. I plan on returning them back onto the stereo bus for recording on the FW card.

I'll be sure to post how the FW interface works as Its one of the main reasons I purchased this one over any other mixer.
ok
but no need to post about the FW thing for me,
I never plan to be using that part of the mixer.
And since Apple ditched FW, I'm using a FW=>TB connector since I got my newest MBP about 2,5 years ago,
and my Apogee has never worked perfectly since then, nothing but, but small annoyances nonetheless,
so in a few months I'm hoping to get myself a TB soundcard (and fuck Apogee, had it with that).
I really don't see the point in using the FW part of my mixer,
things are a LOT more flexible with my external soundcard.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Hades wrote:I'm using a FW=>TB connector since I got my newest MBP about 2,5 years ago,
and my Apogee has never worked perfectly since then
I've been using an RME FF800 with the FW/TB adapter without a single hickup for almost 2 years now. Must be the Apogee, I fear.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

borg wrote:
Hades wrote:I'm using a FW=>TB connector since I got my newest MBP about 2,5 years ago,
and my Apogee has never worked perfectly since then
I've been using an RME FF800 with the FW/TB adapter without a single hickup for almost 2 years now. Must be the Apogee, I fear.
yep, that's what I fear as well, and the problem was almost never there at first,
but now it seems to appear more and more,
so fuck 'em.
will probably try a universal audio quad apollo after this.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Hades wrote: so fuck 'em.
will probably try a universal audio quad apollo after this.
Don't know about reliability and drives support of universal audio but for RME it's perfect!
Even my oldskool HDSP9632 is still supported in windows10.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

windows ???
since monday I stare 10 hours a day to 2 windows screens...

fuck working in windows outside office hours man !! :mrgreen:
even if that means I overpay for every single laptop I buy,
and I need like 7 different cables to connect it all.

and btw, you cunt !
Just cause you folks at Arcelormital go on strike tomorrow,
us normal hard-working folks have been working like crazy the last 2 days,
and will be going totally nuts tomorrow,
cause all you striking lazy fuckheads do is send out all your orders today,
and everyone else is complaining they can't get their orders in time because we can't load them all fast enough because you're all on strike.
:evil: :evil:

:D ;)

kirkwoodwest
quasi-public

Post by kirkwoodwest »

I must say i really like the firewire interface on this guy. really easy and straightforward. I think this was mentioned that the directouts are pre-fader. Totally bummed me out at first until I called their support center here in the states. Sending it in to do the post fader mod. So I can essentially record mix performances in multi-track.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

yeah one of my best friends has bought the exact same model I have, and he's pretty happy with the FW part as well.

Like I said, I've never used it myself.