I can't create "techno-y" hooks / midrange elements

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: I can't create "techno-y" hooks / midrange elements

Post by Críoch »

Agree with the 2 hat hook comment from Steve.

One of my most treasured records is an old Tim Xavier Techno EP (not mnml) & the hook in my favourite track is a ridiculously crunchy snare / clap.

IMO & to my ears anyway lol.. all the other stuff would sound shit without it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Hey really good hooks are hard to come by generally, its a matter of inspiration and experience and luck many times. Maybe try collaborating, you'll learn new things and have input you wouldn't normally think of.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

christianmdp
Unartful

Post by christianmdp »

Been there, done that. In fact i'm still there trying to get out this confusing melody pool.

First i was really into techno in the 90', then dnb came and took place in my mind, body and soul in the late 90' early 00' and then came psychedelic trance to f*** up everything until some years ago... I love electronic dance music.

Now i decided to come back where it all had begun and am stuck trying to make techno, but with my mind and fingers writing trance melodies.

It is not a problem at all to write trance instead of techno. In fact one should write music as Void said before, expressing what you are feeling or what you became lately.

I´m about to finish a track that started as a proper techno, but developed into a 125bpm trance... :roll: I decided to finish this track the best i can and start the next one foccusing on the premise that less is more and taking advantage of everything i'm learning on this forum.

If i fail again and again on the techno style, i will stop taking care of genres and just make music that pleases me. Maybe then i get somewhere.
.. and the worms ate into his brains ..

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

Lost to the Void wrote:Sometimes the hook you think is the hook in your tune, is not the hook that you hear in the club.
It can be as simple as the interaction between 2 different hi-hats.

Techno...
That is why I love Techno. I don't need a "proper" hook at all.

8-)