Elektrons in the studio

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
OHADOHAD
decent
Elektrons in the studio

Post by OHADOHAD »

Hi guys,
I'm having a bit of a trouble to implement my Elektrons (Rytm and Octatrack) into my production process.
I really love both of the machines, I know them well, they are all routed nicely into Ableton, but still... I sometimes get the feeling I don't use them enough or I just enjoy jamming on them without clear end...
My setup at the moment is pretty basic, sold lots of stuff that got in my way and only kept what I thought is essential or enough to make a track: Rytm, Octatrack and DSI Tetra.
So, how do you use them in the production process?
No Bass Lines For Me!

tsaro
Lifer
Re: Elektrons in the studio

Post by tsaro »

I only have a Monomachine atm, and what I do with it is probably way different to what you want to do with your synths, I just make some loops, record it into my computer and build tracks around them.

Seeing how you set it up to be able to build full tracks, why not just try that and see where it goes? If you don't have overbridge I'd consider getting it, because it looks like it's made exactly for what you are trying to do here. And in general you are right, it should be enough to build full tracks with your setup. Make some loops, jam along with it/experiment and record your output. You can always just cut up your loops afterwards, and keep the best bits.
how far do you want to go

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Well the reason I don't like using overbridge is because i'm trying to move out of the computer screen... what do you think the benefit of using overbridge in this kind of a situation?
No Bass Lines For Me!

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

It could be a solution for what you mentioned, jamming with them without a clear goal. It lets you multitrack your midi into Ableton, and I think it also got its own sync. And not to forget total recall, so you'd only have to record the Tetra as audio. So you'd get the best of both worlds, you can jam but still tweak the results afterwards.

And a big plus for me would be the ability to send the Rytm's output into the Octatrack, which has more fx. Don't remember exactly how it all works since I've only used/seen it in action a couple of times, but I remember being pretty impressed.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I just wish the Octatrack had overbridge, I love the machine but editing samples and dealing with them on a shitty little LED screen is beyond frustrating.
As a consequence I don`t use my Octa very much unless it`s for live PA. Hard to beat software for sampling.
My A4 I like, but it isn`t integrated at all, I just record shit from it occasionally in to the PC. I really should get overbridge sorted so I use it more.
I find it really hard to use my hardware, it`s something frustrating me right now. I find it so slow and such a pain compared to software that motivating myself to use the machines is a nightmare. I need to get someone in to push me to use them.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Lost to the Void wrote:I just wish the Octatrack had overbridge, I love the machine but editing samples and dealing with them on a shitty little LED screen is beyond frustrating.
As a consequence I don`t use my Octa very much unless it`s for live PA. Hard to beat software for sampling.
My A4 I like, but it isn`t integrated at all, I just record shit from it occasionally in to the PC. I really should get overbridge sorted so I use it more.
I find it really hard to use my hardware, it`s something frustrating me right now. I find it so slow and such a pain compared to software that motivating myself to use the machines is a nightmare. I need to get someone in to push me to use them.
exactly how I feel, word by word!
The thing is, even thou they are expensive machine, but you would never want to sell them because they are still amazing.. just need to figure out how to integrate them into production state of mind
No Bass Lines For Me!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It feels like a step backwards to me, in terms of speed and ease of use. And I`m having difficulty making sacrifices to deal with it.
New Shit

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

What has been written already here is exactly why I went from a setup with 3 elektrons right back to Ableton.. glad I sold them too. Octatrack was the best machine but also pretty much useless in the studio. Jams are fun but I find productivity with these boxes was just not there. I know the elektron system like the back of my hand, but I still didn't gel with it for track creation or remixing.

now I go midi out from ableton into a few modules and call it a day.. I think almost every mono out there sounds better than the analog 4... the only thing I liked on that machine is the reverb, whoop-ti-do

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

My rytm is the backbone of my studio recordings thanks to overvridge.

I just begin with some basic percussion and go from there. I dont need to record anthing until the last moment. And with total recall i dont nees to worry about anything.

After i get some software slappin agains the rytm i tweak it some more to fit the rest.

I dont tweak in overbridge though, its just for routing.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

I'm the opposite. The Octatrack changed everything for me. It should have individual outs but that aside I have never been so productive.
Over time it's function has changed. I now use it mostly to control hardware and process percussion from drum machines using the thru machine+neighbours.
Sync'd to Logic then recording audio in 4-8 bar sections. Usually separating into hihat, Porc, texture, hardware synth arp.
Kicks i still handle in software though.
I understand how overbridge works for some people but for me, I work better with fewer options. I like to lock things in audio quickly and then arrange from there with a solid soundpalette that i can't be tempted into switching a million parameters.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Alume wrote:My rytm is the backbone of my studio recordings thanks to overvridge.

I just begin with some basic percussion and go from there. I dont need to record anthing until the last moment. And with total recall i dont nees to worry about anything.

After i get some software slappin agains the rytm i tweak it some more to fit the rest.

Do you also use the sampler engine in the RYTM or just the analog engines?
No Bass Lines For Me!

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

I'm actually considering selling the rytm and getting the new arturia drumbrute... more then half the price, more immediate, actually sounds good with tons of options... and for my sample cravings I still have octatrack...
might even get an ensoniq dp4 with the extra cash
No Bass Lines For Me!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I really want to get my hands on a Rytm & sample it. Been thinking of just ordering one for 30days & returning it before the end.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

OHADOHAD wrote:
Alume wrote:My rytm is the backbone of my studio recordings thanks to overvridge.

Do you also use the sampler engine in the RYTM or just the analog engines?

Yeah ive loaded it full of hand percussion and different shakers and stuff.

I use the transients of the percussion and layer them on top of my toms.

I love it. Though im also aware of me not using it to its full potential. My plan is too just let it grow in my system over the years. I need at least one elektron sequencer in my life.

And the sound just fits my sound. Specially the toms and kicks. Need to start getting into it as a real synth with single wave cycles and stuff.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I'm not complaining ablut the quality of the hardware. Electrons are amazing machines. The A4 can do some incredible sounds when you dig in. The Octatrack is a great performance sampler.
I have a general problem with integrating all my hardware, not just electron. It all feels like such a bind and a step backwards for me.

I dont know wether to try to get over it or not.
New Shit

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

Making a song with the Internal sequencers is a pain. Don't even think about drinking beer or so. I guarantee you will end up with messed up kits. After long back and forth i deceided to make loops (what the elektrons See perfect for, record and go on in the pc

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Yeah.. that's not my style thou..
I like to record all in one go, otherwise I'm losing patience and moving on.. The Rytm is great for recording all in one go, it's the getting there that annoys me.
No Bass Lines For Me!

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Lost to the Void wrote:I just wish the Octatrack had overbridge, I love the machine but editing samples and dealing with them on a shitty little LED screen is beyond frustrating.
Why do you use hardware at all if you don't like it and find it slow and painful? There's no reason to, it's 2016, there's no stigma attached to using computers anymore. Plenty of big names are all ITB.

I personally write a lot faster and have more fun using (good) hardware. Others do it faster and have more fun ITB. It's a personal thing, there are no rules in music. Use what works for you.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I have hardware to play live with, and a legacy of stuff I have collected since the 90s.
I just feel I should be using it more than just for gigs, especially now that I am trying to get away from club gigs.
New Shit

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Ahh so the Octatrack isn't supported, shame really. I thought all new Elektron boxes were overbridge-able (or how do you call it..). Although it's good to be able to cross something off my list without forking out the cash :P

Since I've had to sell off my studio a couple of years back, Elektron has been the only synth manufacturer on my to buy list, bar the latest Arturia drum synth maybe.
And over the years, between the Monomachine and some other Elektron boxes I'd used from time to time (and some fx/stompboxes) I didn't miss hardware at all tbh, especially the integration side of it.