Writers Block

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hedges
Chernobyl
Re: Writers Block

Post by Hedges »

Maybe this is just me but I find that coming up with a particular scenario in your head and telling that story via music in a very abstract way can be helpful. It can also be very techno.

For example, maybe picture a load of miners stuck in a shaft who slowly realise that they have no hope of escape or rescue. Go to free sound project, get some samples of rocks and pick-axe's and men shouting. Find an IR of a mine shaft or similar space. Start telling their story from start to finish. If that's not a fucking techno workflow then I don't know what is.
Bit twisted, but you can always tailor this approach for a less warped mind.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Whats your longest "writersblock"

Mine is about a year now but feel the tide is turning

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Found this article spot on. Everything needs it time and space, esp creativity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jamie-var ... 90758.html
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

Just like pretty much everyone else in the thread said: I do the boring stuff. Part of the reason i moved to techno from bass music is because I love that on days where I'm feeling totally uncreative, i can do super boring, time consuming elements of the music (sorting music, making recordings, now patching reaktor blocks) and still, at the end, like i did something creative.

I mean, i guess that could apply to most electronic music, but I feel like techno is where that shit shines. I can only watch so many old kungfu movies for samples to throw before a drop before I feel... trapped. Sequencing modular bleeps? All day baby, all day :P.

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

Writers block can be assisted in many ways. New bars from health shops with additional calories to the norm can stimulate another stint. In this day and age sitting comfortably and eating in the correct position either slowly or quickly which you can experiment with may lead to renewed required boost and flow. Avoid chocolate.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

avmilli wrote:Writers block can be assisted in many ways. New bars from health shops with additional calories to the norm can stimulate another stint. In this day and age sitting comfortably and eating in the correct position either slowly or quickly which you can experiment with may lead to renewed required boost and flow. Avoid chocolate.
I'll ask again, why are you here? You are not really contributing or participating, you just turn up and waffle irrelevancies.
If you want to contribute please do so, or go goblin (a minor troll) elsewhere please.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I have to say he figured out a whole new style of his own. Quite subtle and innovative.

Its quite amusing now and then, takes the heat off things.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Keep thinking BREWERS DROOP every time I see this thread title.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I had massive writers block when I used to to visual art. I kind of lost it totally when I was 21 and never went back. I am ok with that, I wish I would just pick up a paint brush and paint from time to time but I think that part of my life is over now.

With music, I have found the best way to get over a writers block is to work with someone else. Someone else's energy can be infectious :)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

yet again, same here stacie.

Though music has forced me to pick up a pen and make my own artwork.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Alume wrote:yet again, same here stacie.

Though music has forced me to pick up a pen and make my own artwork.
Oh, that is awesome! Was it difficult for you to get back into??

I tried to just draw something stupid the other day, a cartoon dog or something and I literally just couldn't. I have no doubt in my mind with some time and effort I could do it again but I clearly consider making music more important :)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

no not really, its just an obsticle to go do it.

But the fact that i was doint it to support my music made me less critical.

The have a nice symbiosis and I think it complements each other.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I used to be far better than I ever gave my self credit for. I managed to sell some of my artwork for actual money at a show once as well but I just don't seem to have the motor skills I used to have anymore :lol:

You have kind of given me hope that I might be able to do it again though :) I have a really beautiful sketchbook at home, I'll take in out of the draw in the vain hope I might actually use it :)

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

StacieAnne wrote:I used to be far better than I ever gave my self credit for. I managed to sell some of my artwork for actual money at a show once as well but I just don't seem to have the motor skills I used to have anymore :lol:

You have kind of given me hope that I might be able to do it again though :) I have a really beautiful sketchbook at home, I'll take in out of the draw in the vain hope I might actually use it :)
It sounds to me that you're being to precious. Try scribbling a sketch on a newspaper, napkin or shopping bag. The fact that it's not going into a 'beautiful' sketchbook can make a huge difference. It's the process that counts, not the final piece ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Sensimilla
New Shit

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

surface wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:I used to be far better than I ever gave my self credit for. I managed to sell some of my artwork for actual money at a show once as well but I just don't seem to have the motor skills I used to have anymore :lol:

It sounds to me that you're being to precious. Try scribbling a sketch on a newspaper, napkin or shopping bag. The fact that it's not going into a 'beautiful' sketchbook can make a huge difference. It's the process that counts, not the final piece ..
Maybe, I think I would be less precious about it. I guess the ultimate in artistic expression is not giving a shit.
Lost to the Void wrote:Sensimilla
Way too much chance of anxiety these days :(

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Indica with a higher percentage of CBD to THC = no anxiety (CBD is anti psychotic)
New Shit

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I had looked at Canatonic as a strain but I am not even sure if I want to go back there or not.

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

Adidas have released new shampoo containing guava. It's nice yellow colour that lights up the bathroom.Well worth a try if you need a morning lift.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

More Cobra...