Subsekt members track mix 2016/2017 SUBMISSIONS CLOSED

General Chat // Music Discussion
zukenbauer
You only live once
Re: Subsekt members track mix 2016/2017

Post by zukenbauer »

Nice, i think ill give it a shot 8-)
Would like to hear last year mix, where can i find it?

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

zukenbauer wrote: Would like to hear last year mix, where can i find it?

Not that happy with my contribution now that I listen to it but a bit too late now!
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Barfunkel wrote:
zukenbauer wrote: Would like to hear last year mix, where can i find it?

Not that happy with my contribution now that I listen to it but a bit too late now!
Well that means you have progressed from last year :)
Thanks for the link!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:Question: If I send you a link to an unfinished track would you give an opinion whether it's worthy of your mixtape or should I just ditch the track? I'd hate to work on something for a long time, only to find out the whole idea of the track doesn't suit your vision.

:D
you hate to work on something for a long time, full stop.
it's like me hating to write short messages. ;)

come on man, Planar barely got enough time as it is, he's got 2 kids, he's moving house, and he's fulltime working.
Afaik, you got no kids, you rent an apartment, and you're still unemployed.
What's wrong with trying to work a little longer on a track in your case ? :)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Lol.. it's a good job everyone knows eachother so well around here & that we have thick skins :mrgreen:
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Críoch wrote:Lol.. it's a good job everyone knows eachother so well around here & that we have thick skins :mrgreen:

absolutely.

but I know this guy,
he works in my favorite comic store.
he happens to be born and raised in the town right next to my hometown,
so that kind of shaped a natural bond between us from the day we discovered we were from the exact same shit region... :D
He makes ambient, I bought his 1st release under his current alias, but didn't really like his 2nd release.
Now, all of a sudden, he got to play Berghain,
did a boiler room set (but without a crowd, thank god for the crowd),
and was supposed to open at Atonal, but will have to do it next year.
And he says so himself he doesn't like his 2nd album.
When he was at Berghain, one of his friends told him :
"look, just don't try to grasp the music circus, and enjoy the ride"

Moral of the story : you can be working your ass off on something for ages and people still might not like it.
Or vice versa.
But in my opinion, if you're not prepared to waste some hours to perfect your craft,
then don't expect any miracles either.
10% inspiration, 90% transpiration, or something like that. ;)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Barfunkel wrote:Question: If I send you a link to an unfinished track would you give an opinion whether it's worthy of your mixtape or should I just ditch the track? I'd hate to work on something for a long time, only to find out the whole idea of the track doesn't suit your vision.
I can't really answer that as it depends on all the other music I get. My only vision is getting something of my own in there 8-) (I rejected my own, unheard track last time). I'll accept 3 tracks and you're not exactly a slow worker, so 3 chances to get in, you decide if you think its finished enough to work in the context of a mix.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I might send something in if I can get a track finished before new years (I am going away for over a month a the end of Oktober). Listening to that mix makes me think the tracks I am currently working on might be a bit out of place though lol.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Hades wrote:

:D
you hate to work on something for a long time, full stop.
it's like me hating to write short messages. ;)

come on man, Planar barely got enough time as it is, he's got 2 kids, he's moving house, and he's fulltime working.
Afaik, you got no kids, you rent an apartment, and you're still unemployed.
What's wrong with trying to work a little longer on a track in your case ? :)
My situation is a bit more complex atm... just broke up with my girlfriend last week, have to find a new place to live, I have some health issues, I don't have that much spare time due to other commitments. I'd rather not work 2 weeks on a track, if the core idea isn't to Planar's liking. You can't polish a turd and all that.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I don't view any time making music as a waste ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

StacieAnne wrote:I don't view any time making music as a waste ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Of course, but there's quite a difference between just randomly smashing buttons vs. dedicated practice.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:
Of course, but there's quite a difference between just randomly smashing buttons vs. dedicated practice.
you're saying you'd preferably always want "randomly smashing buttons" and as little as possible dedicated practice ?

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Hades wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
you're saying you'd preferably always want "randomly smashing buttons" and as little as possible dedicated practice ?
I didn't say or imply such, where did you get that? Not saying that I wouldn't have an occasional button smashing session, especially with Electribe a friend borrowed me a few weeks ago. However, most of the time I'm actively trying to do or learn something specific. Try to make a track with a really nice kick, work on my chord progressions, sample a free jazz record and try to twist it into a house track, try to mix a track as well as I can etc etc.

I don't really believe in the 10 000 hour rule, just doing something for a long time doesn't automatically make you a master of that craft. That practice must be dedicated and carefully thought of, especially in music where it's SO easy to get stuck in a loop and just make variations of the same track for 10 years. Simply repeating stuff might work for some forms of sports, but even there you have to constantly push your limits. In music, if you want to improve, you have to constantly push it, fight the beast that is stagnation.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Barfunkel wrote:I'd rather not work 2 weeks on a track, if the core idea isn't to Planar's liking. You can't polish a turd and all that.
Do I really have to spell this out to you? If you're trying to please me with a track you're going about this all wrong and it's completely against the spirit of the exercise. I can't make any decisions about what makes it and what doesn't until I have all the tracks, it's as simple as that. I've received very little music so far and don't really expect to until much closer to Christmas. I have no preconceived ideas about how it will sound, and there are lots of different styles amongst the community. Why do you think I found it so bloody hard to put together last time? So, great, if you send me a half finished/unpolished chilled house track track (for example) right now; even if I love it and say it's definitely in, what am I supposed to do if everyone else sends me 200bpm gabber?

So you either take the risk and make some music which might not be featured or you sit on your hands and do nothing. If anyone doesn't have their track featured, I'd still like to hope that they got some benefit from at least trying. This is production forum ffs, aren't we all wanting to make music whenever possible?

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

I didn't mean to offend...

I just probably don't have the time and/or the energy to make more than one track, so I thought that if you had the time to check out a preview, it'd save everybody's time in the end. Making tracks with a DAW is a lot more time consuming than just making simple hardware jams, like my track the last time. It'd be nice to know if the core idea of the track is decent, before I commit a week or two on editing the fine details.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I'm not offended. But maybe frustrated that you've made this a thing and are fishing for some kind of hint for something that doesn't exist. By my reckoning you have 7 public tracks on your soundcloud made in the last 3 months (3 in the last couple of weeks), but you're making a fuss about making 1 more. So what if you spend 2 weeks working on something that isn't used in the end, that would have been valuable time spend on refining one of your weaknesses- really finishing something. If you want feedback on something in progress, use the normal forum methods, there's nothing in the rules saying you can't; you just give away which your track is. I mean, hell, send an old track if you want, it's not against the rules.

wouterdewitte

Post by wouterdewitte »

Críoch wrote:Hi Wouter :)
Hi mate!
Sorry for the derail.. just felt inappropriate not to respond ;)
"People who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music"
Momentvm Records

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote: I just probably don't have the time and/or the energy to make more than one track.
why would you not have the time ffs ?
ok, so you gotta be on the look out for a new place to live.
but afaik there's no job eating up your time, and you don't have kids.
how many hours do you still have left man ?

I started a 50h/week job recently.
I got 2 kids.
You hear me saying I don't have the time and/or energy to make any track ?

Planar has a busy job and 2 kids and is moving house as well,
just try to imagine how much more work that moving house must be if you are married and have 2 kids.
And yet he's not complaining about making this mix, he just puts up a few simple rules that are more than fair.

If your problem was money and not time, it would pretty much be like when a middle-class Norwegian is complaining about his low pension to some Eritrean dude.
Barfunkel wrote: so I thought that if you had the time to check out a preview, it'd save everybody's time in the end.
especially your time.
Barfunkel wrote:Making tracks with a DAW is a lot more time consuming than just making simple hardware jams, like my track the last time. It'd be nice to know if the core idea of the track is decent, before I commit a week or two on editing the fine details.
Welcome to the process most of us here have to go through time and time again.
We got that "post a clip" topic, and you can post your "temporary track" there and then still see if you want to finish it,
you got till X-mas ffs, more than time enough.

but honestly : just stop whining please and be prepared to just put in the hours if you want some more results.
I totally agree about how it's more useful if you can use your studio hours more "defined", as in : with a clear goal in mind upfront,
but being creative just means putting in a HUGE amount of hours of which a lot of them won't ever give you that much directly visible results.
:)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

wouterdewitte wrote:
Críoch wrote:Hi Wouter :)
Hi mate!
Sorry for the derail.. just felt inappropriate not to respond ;)
Wouter !

Hij leeft (nog) !

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

Damn, i got some months off subsekt and when i come back to see whats up the debate still about Barfunkel wanna do this or that or he should do things other way, its insane!

Anyway Barfunkel it looks like people really like your work and want to see it progress, so ffs do a track and send to planar!

Ill try to record something new to send too Planar, if i cant record anything new that i like ill look up for the last months recordings, i like some of those :)
WTF?!