Subsekt members track mix 2016/2017 SUBMISSIONS CLOSED

General Chat // Music Discussion
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Subsekt members track mix 2016/2017 SUBMISSIONS CLOSED

Post by Planar »

17 Jan 2017 - Submissions are closed. I'm not accepting any more music.

Alright people. As some of you may be aware, we have a tradition of a members track mix every year or so on Subsekt and it's getting to the time where we could really do with a new one. For the uninitiated, this is an excellent way to get some exposure and see how your stuff compares to the more established members who may also feature. When complete I will initially keep the track listing to myself so people will judge the music with no pre-conceptions. I still get the odd Soundcloud message from randoms asking what some of the tracks are in the last one!

This mix should arrive sometime around the new year, which gives everyone plenty of time to attempt a submission. I would like everyone to have a go at this, especially the old-timers who have never sent anything. I will be accepting tracks until the end of December at least, but I won't announce an exact date until nearer the time as I'm in the process of moving house and my decks are packed away for a while. I will need at least an hour long mix to make this worthwhile, so please don't be shy and send me something.

So here are the rules/faq's, because I learnt a lot last time:

You must:-

1. Send the track via Soundcloud private message to me. I don't want Subsekt PM's unless you really have a good reason- they sometimes get lost in the ether and my inbox fills up too quickly. My Soundcloud profile is easily found in my sig.
2. A 320kbps mp3 is preferred. WAV is ok as long as you host somewhere with quick download speeds.
3. No more than 3 tracks per person.
4. Send me your tracks in 1 message if you can. Don't drip-feed them to me as I'll lose track of what you sent me and when.
5. "Master" your tracks. I don't want to be running anything through a limiter this time. No one expects pro quality, but levels too low for my mixer gain to compensate for aren't helping your tracks to be picked. Obviously, don't squash the fuck out of them either.
6. Please use this thread rather than PM's to me for questions, so everyone can see the answer.
7. Please include a short paragraph about yourself and a link to your artist page (Soundcloud/Bandcamp etc).
8. If your artist name is different to your Subsekt username, please let me know!

You are encouraged, but don't have to:-

1. Include sensible intro's and outro's for mixing. This will be beat-matched on turntables (and my mixing style is generally a long blend), so timing shenanigans or very short tracks are just minimising your chances of being included. Anything doing this would have to be outstanding to be picked.
2. If you're sending more than 1 track, try and make them as diverse as you can within your own style. I don't want 20 dub techno tracks (ideally I want none ;)).
3. Related to no. 2: I encourage different styles and bpm's. Obviously, the more out-there it is, the less chance it will feature.
4. You have 3ish months to submit something, I strongly prefer you make something especially for this mix.

Assurances:-

1. If your track has been signed or is going to be released, you can submit it without fear that I will upload it to every torrent site known to man. Your music is completely safe with me and I will not use it for any purpose other than this mix.
2. Tracks will be picked on: merit, how they fit in the mix and lastly by who made them. If you have 5 posts and send me something, it'll hold less credibility with me than a more established member's track unless the music is fantastic. Some great tracks may miss out, I'm sorry if that happens to you but it probably didn't fit the over-arching flow of the mix.
3. I will be happy to send feedback on tracks if you want it. No Hades style essays though.

Right, if anything isn't clear post here, otherwise, get cracking on and I look forward to your music.

Barfunkel
Smalahove
Re: Subsekt members track mix 2016/2017

Post by Barfunkel »

I'm in!

Nothing to post yet though, but I'm sure I'll make something by the deadline.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Excellent! Thanks for doing this. Lots of effort involved.. so respect.

Just thinking - Would you mind adding one more thing in there about sending a short bio with a FB or soundcloud link?

Send it when the tracks are being submitted. Might be easiest as a text doc in the zip?

I'll include whoever in a blog post when the final mix is recorded.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Nice man. Good to see you're still up for it.

Will think about which tracks ill send, i have some disco tracks id like to share.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Críoch wrote:Excellemt! Thanks for doing this. Lots of effort involved.. so respect.

Just thinking - Would you mind adding one more thing in there about sending a short bio with a FB or soundcloud link?

Send it when the tracks are being submitted. Might be easiest as a text doc in the zip?

I'll include whoever in a blog post when the final mix is recorded.
Good thinking. Added a new rule.

Alume wrote:Will think about which tracks ill send
Barfunkel wrote:Nothing to post yet though, but I'm sure I'll make something by the deadline.
Good lads. Plenty of time to get something going, so no rush. I even set Ableton to 125bpm last night- that hasn't happened for a while! I'll keep this thread bumped over the coming weeks.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Planar wrote:I even set Ableton to 125bpm last night
i'd like to make a track to submit to this as i've not made any music in a long while. do you dj at 125bpm? what kind of tempo do you play at and i'll start around there. all adds to the challenge.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

That's a pretty weird question, Winston. I dj at any bpm, it makes no difference to me. Any ballpark house/techno bpm is a safe bet. I'd rather people submit music from me to work from, rather than try to produce something to fit my perceived style. Considering my techno mixes are like hens teeth, that would be a weird concept...

Make some decent music, send it to me. The worst that happens is that you're not featured. If you're embarrassed about your submission, no one ever need speak of it again (your track will only be heard by me unless its in the mix, and if its in, its good). Obviously something really out there limits your chances- but if its excellent I'll try fit it in at the expense of mix fluidity.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Great idea, thanks for doing this.

Had a quick listen to last years' mix and loved it - nice listening to a mix with no pre conceived ideas about what it will be or what it should be because of what you already know about certain artists. I liked the variety of styles of the tracks too.

I will send something in. Hopefully it's worthy and gets a spin, but if not hopefully it will at least help me to "finish" at least one track this year!!

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Planar wrote:That's a pretty weird question
yeah fair enough. i just thought that 125bpm was pretty slow for a techno mix but who knows these days.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

A little bump for those that missed/ignored this. I hope those tracks are progressing jicely!

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

Looking forward to hearing the result. Due to other project commitments I won't have a track suitable for the mix deadline this year. 2017/2018 looks realistic though.

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Nice one Planar, I bloody well will be submitting something this year :)

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Ok, just started the track this morning! Will be hopefully ready by the end of the week.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Oooh, sweet. Awesome idea :D

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

What the deadline for this? :)

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote: No Hades style essays though.
I wouldn't dare... :mrgreen:

no more time for those now though.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

msl wrote:What the deadline for this? :)
" I will be accepting tracks until the end of December at least"

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Question: If I send you a link to an unfinished track would you give an opinion whether it's worthy of your mixtape or should I just ditch the track? I'd hate to work on something for a long time, only to find out the whole idea of the track doesn't suit your vision.

wouterdewitte

Post by wouterdewitte »

excellent!
Hopefully i can get a track in...
"People who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music"
Momentvm Records

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hi Wouter :)
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB