Let talks Modular Synthesis (noobie)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
mr.chielos
Gnasher
Re: Let talks Modular Synthesis (noobie)

Post by mr.chielos »

Oh... And if you're a little bit handy.. Built your own case. a lot cheaper

therottencircle
rescued

Post by therottencircle »

guys what you think.. i look for reverb and delay modules ..
think about the blackhole..
but it would be awesome to clock it..
so the big question
do the effect outside of the case or inside ? outside would be some eventide effects but they are expensive
anyone who have some experience?

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

dylanlolwut wrote:Well...I would prefer to buy modular gear rather than gear gear :lol:
both rather expensive "hobbies". :lol:

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I've decided to slowly get into it as I don't really see myself running around with 6 mono's in the future. In the end I think it will save me some money, being able to make something that is just the way I like and not have to buy a whole synth for a particular filter etc.

I want to start out really slow, I've lost myself in the world of synths in the past and I'm sure that wont happen to me in other fields.

The plan is to go second hand on mostly every module (for starters!) and start out with a flying bus board and a 3u 84p rack. I know its adviced to start with a 6u for expandability but as I want to DIY the case and go slow with my modulese I thought I could always make a bigger case in the future.

I used this video as inspiration, though I want to use wood :

youtu.be/mf0Z34LJ8Y8

Furthermore, I'm now using the Rytm and a Microbrute, the microbrute being the key for a slow and cheapish way into modular.

I'd like to start of with a setup creating a fx/modulation situation. The initial setup will be based based on the microbrutes vco, keyboard(cv/gate) and the sequencer. Maybe you guys can help me with this as Im just getting into the basics of every module.

what I've come up with so far:

- LFO module
- Delay module (incl cv control)
- A nice Filter
- Some cheap utilities? not sure what to get at this point.
- Mixer

Again I'm at the start of all this so i havent looked at any modules in particular. I want to define the processing/modulation purpose first, keeping in mind it will grow towards a mono later on.

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

While the Minibrute’s VCO is nice for subtractive type of sounds, I think it’s too limited for being your main oscillator. Lots of the fun stuff in the modular world is based on FM, therefore I’d start with two simple VCOs that are capable of lin FM (something like Dixie for example). After that I’d get a couple of VCAs and envelopes. You also wanna have some multiples… you could use cheap headphone splitters or stackables to save rackspace. Oh, and get an attenuverting mixer - really really useful.
You also said you wanna use a flying bus board. I know a lot of people use them and they work just fine, but from my experience I have to advice against them, as they introduced bleed and other weird stuff into my system.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

After a day more of research I seen where your coming from, thanks for the input man. Will take it into account