Yamaha RM1X / Korg EM1 - Experiences?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Barfunkel
Smalahove
Re: Yamaha RM1X / Korg EM1 - Experiences?

Post by Barfunkel »

Question: Why the older Electribes? I currently have an Electribe Sampler 2 in my possession and it's quite a fun device! Extremely fast and easy to jam with and create ideas, you barely need the manual (That said, there are a few things that aren't self-explanatory and of course the manual doesn't say anything about those functions).

The new ones are like half the size of the old ones too, which is pretty great if you play live or want to take your gear to jam sessions with friends etc.

Granted, the new Electribes aren't very deep machines in the synthesis department, but they aren't preset machines either.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

Dunno mate, they are metal and have valves in that sound bloody awful. There's just something about these machines though that's right. Korg really are masters of affordable and lovable / lamentable "toys" that are actually really usable!!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Picked up a er1 the other day. Fucking rocks.

Limited - but very cool. Reminds me of an ultra basic microtonic. Its very immediate.

Sounded mighty though some fx today. Fun.

I think it has a great sound. It's techno.. but has a real electro vibe off it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Barfunkel wrote:Question: Why the older Electribes? I currently have an Electribe Sampler 2 in my possession and it's quite a fun device! .
Because we like tough metal boxes that don't sound weak as piss and don't run out of voices as soon as the beat drops?

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

innovine wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:Question: Why the older Electribes? I currently have an Electribe Sampler 2 in my possession and it's quite a fun device! .
Because we like tough metal boxes that don't sound weak as piss and don't run out of voices as soon as the beat drops?

I dunno, never used the older Electribes, so can't comment on the sound quality of them. The new Electribe sounds good enough when you put quality samples in it. The filter is pretty good and the effects are serviceable, though not that editable.

The new Electribe is also surprisingly sturdy.

Comparing it to, for example, an Octatrack I would say that the build quality is better on the Electribe, the filter sounds better as do some of the effects (chorus, flanger and phaser particularly). It's very well worth the 400€ IMO.

The UI is VERY nice on the Electribe too, probably the most fun sampler I've ever used. That said, the actual sampling and sample editing is a bit cumbersome (then again, it is with most samplers), I just transfer files from a computer.

It's also like half the size of the old Electribes, which is a great thing to me.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Barfunkel wrote:I dunno, never used the older Electribes, so can't comment on the sound quality of them.
They are pretty shit to be honest, but they are ballsy and loud and very in your face. At all times. Which is good and bad. You'd have a very hard time making gentle minimal, dub or ambient on one for example. But you can throw together banging acid techno type stuff like there's no tomorrow.
The UI is VERY nice on the Electribe too, probably the most fun sampler I've ever used.
I can well believe it, the previous generations were fantastic from a UI point of view. I still use my EMX a lot as a midi-sequencer.