Music, A Love Hate Relationship.

General Chat // Music Discussion
Stace
Classical Approach
Re: Music, A Love Hate Relationship.

Post by Stace »

I stopped reading the news as it was so bleak.

Suppose I could always go back to it.

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

If you need a remedy for today musik wise then I can suggest this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSHHuACILE.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Lost to the Void wrote:Just go look at the news, you`ll soon feel the creeping nihilism.
Sorry to propel this thread further off topic, but along similar lines to this - I'm constantly astounded by what we (humans) are capable of doing to ourselves, and even worse what we are capable of doing to those that we should be looking after the most (ie kids, disabled, elderly). I struggle to understand how certain individuals are capable of doing the terrible things they do. Is it some sort of hard-wiring that allows them to bypass a sense of right/wrong and/or do they simply not have a conscience, or just an inability to control their own actions regardless of whether or not they are remorseful...

Again, apologies for hi-jacking the thread - but I guess it's related in some ways to some other comments in this thread about what motivates us to produce the music we produce - and it's this thought process that leads me to making some of the stuff that I make.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote: I think in the time I have been making music I made one track that didn't come from a negative emotion, I don't know how I feel about that.
In the last 12 months or so, I only once made a track that wasn't into my normal cheesy sentimental emo-house/techno range,
and as soon as I showed it to my mrs, she said :
"I really don't like it at all, this is not at all who you are !"
Not sure what to think of that tbh... :)

StacieAnne wrote: You can spend so long feeling something it is sometimes easier to go back there as a default as it is what you know - even if it isn't a nice place you go back to, I guess humans are prone to seeking the familiar.
ow absolutely.
some people just prefer to keep on complaining for the rest of their life instead of trying to do something about whatever it is that's bringing them down.
Even if you'd offer them the solution to all their problems on a silver plate, they wouldn't take it, they'd prefer to stay in "ever nagging modus"... :)

If you're reading a lot, try "Revolutionary Road" from Richard Yates,
it's a perfect example of what I just mentioned about people dodging the solution because they prefer to stay in complaining modus forever...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote: I can't make a track for the sake of it, I never think, "I am going to make a banger", it has to come from some kind of emotion and I don't know how to make something without feeling anything. I don't like the prospect of not making anything, I also don't like the prospect of feeling those things again.
same here,
and if I do try, the results are always rather disappointing and mediocre at best.

I'm gonna start a new job on monday,
after being home for more than a year with a massive burn-out,
and yeah, the whole depression shit was hard as fuck (I literally don't even remember anything from the first 3 months I was at home, it's a total blank),
but it was by far the best year I ever had music wise...

But yeah, I refuse to believe that only negative emotions can inspire you to make good music.
I remember about 2 months ago or so, I was making some track and I was literally crying my heart out while making it,
just because the melody really got to me in some way.
I don't think that's healthy either.

I'm convinced emotions make you compose better tracks, but I refuse to believe you can only make tracks when you feel emotional about something.
Just keep on banging out the tracks, even if you feel totally ok,
it's all about putting in the hours. ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote:I stopped reading the news as it was so bleak.

Suppose I could always go back to it.
I did the same for at least 5 or 7 years,
I just stopped listening to the radio,
don't have cable tv so that was easy,
and don't read any newspaper except for the free one on the train to work.

It's a very easy solution to help you from feeling down even more,
but in the end, I felt like I was cheating or something.
The world didn't suddenly start to get any better in the time I stopped reading all the bad news,
I just chose to ignore it, that's all. :|

Nowadays I kind of feel ok whenever I hear about all the shit that's going on.
It's almost tragicomic, in a way.
As if I'm semi-detached to 90% of it.
And I think I owe it to my kids to at least know what's happening in the world that they'll some day inherit,
while I try to do what I can to make our little corner of the planet just a little better here or there.

Like Mattias said : "let the world burn"...
I don't agree 100%, but I totally understand what he's trying to say. 8-)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I've let down the next release and I'm going back to posting stuff on soundcloud. I was always aware of the pressure put on myself to sound like Alume and come up with good tunes etc etc. I see now that running the label and making music are not to be mixed.

Now I'm going back to the innosence of my first years, just make music for the sake of sharing, not for releasing. And who knows a release might be in there once a while.

So simple really, but sometimes you just dont see whats been staring in your face this whole time.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Alume wrote:I've let down the next release and I'm going back to posting stuff on soundcloud. I was always aware of the pressure put on myself to sound like Alume and come up with good tunes etc etc. I see now that running the label and making music are not to be mixed.

Now I'm going back to the innosence of my first years, just make music for the sake of sharing, not for releasing. And who knows a release might be in there once a while.

So simple really, but sometimes you just dont see whats been staring in your face this whole time.

You even seem to forget you haven't even been doing this for a very long time either, not compared to many others.
3 years max, something like that, if it's not 2,5 years, right ?

You should always be doing it for fun if you're not hopelessly trying to make a living out of it JJ,
always.
;)

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Hades wrote:
StacieAnne wrote: I can't make a track for the sake of it, I never think, "I am going to make a banger", it has to come from some kind of emotion and I don't know how to make something without feeling anything. I don't like the prospect of not making anything, I also don't like the prospect of feeling those things again.
same here,
and if I do try, the results are always rather disappointing and mediocre at best.

and yeah, the whole depression shit was hard as fuck (I literally don't even remember anything from the first 3 months I was at home, it's a total blank),

But yeah, I refuse to believe that only negative emotions can inspire you to make good music.
I remember about 2 months ago or so, I was making some track and I was literally crying my heart out while making it,

I'm convinced emotions make you compose better tracks, but I refuse to believe you can only make tracks when you feel emotional about something.
I was thinking about this. You know, having less time on it might do you good. I often find that limiting myself to time being creative (lunch at work) I get lots done. I don't really do anything *that* creative but I get shit sorted. I find I need longer to get all the fun shit down.

Maybe you sound can slowly evolve and slowly become whatever the new thing you are feeling is. I don't know. I'll give it a go. I am back to actually making stuff. I'll see where it takes me.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Hades wrote:
Alume wrote:I've let down the next release and I'm going back to posting stuff on soundcloud. I was always aware of the pressure put on myself to sound like Alume and come up with good tunes etc etc. I see now that running the label and making music are not to be mixed.

You even seem to forget you haven't even been doing this for a very long time either, not compared to many others.
3 years max, something like that, if it's not 2,5 years, right ?

You should always be doing it for fun if you're not hopelessly trying to make a living out of it JJ,
always.
;)

Thats really true, and I always knew that but i guess knowing isn't enough.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote:
Hades wrote: same here,

I was thinking about this. You know, having less time on it might do you good. I often find that limiting myself to time being creative (lunch at work) I get lots done. I don't really do anything *that* creative but I get shit sorted. I find I need longer to get all the fun shit down.

Maybe you sound can slowly evolve and slowly become whatever the new thing you are feeling is. I don't know. I'll give it a go. I am back to actually making stuff. I'll see where it takes me.
well, just survived my first 2 days,
I'm literally gone from 7:15AM to like 6:30PM, 5 days out of 7,
but approx. 45 minutes of that time are spent on my bike, and that helps to clear your head (plus it's free sports which is great if your free time is that much more limited).
You are probably right though, I'm pretty sure I will learn to work faster and I'll probably be more creative.
I've only been working on the sample pack for subsekt the last few days, so haven't been making anything yet,
but since I'm currently browsing through my clip library, I can't help but thinking :
I doubt I'll be making tons of these clips in the future. I just won't have the time to be jamming away on my gear till I stumble upon stuff that I like,
which is a damn shame.
Plus, I'm afraid of my finishing tracks process. I'm extremely slow with that, and there's no way I will be able to spend as much time on my arrangements/mixes in the future as I have done in the past.

On the other hand, my job asks extreme focus the whole fucking day, so it does keep your mind a lot sharper in total,
and I really like that. You become far less lazy that way.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Music is emotion, so music will be more authentic when it comes from the heart.

Sure you can make music when you are feeling nothing, but the music will most likely mean nothing too.

Good art rarely comes from an artist who is content.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.