building up my first studio

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hux
Get a fucking avatar
Re: building up my first studio

Post by Hux »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hux wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:philips make monitors? As far as I am aware they have never made studio monitors.
So I would say yes, if you are looking to build a studio, then you need proper monitors.
If you buy decent they will last you practically a lifetime.
If you can`t hear what you are doing properly, all is for nought.

Failing that a very very good set of headphones will do.

But good monitors win every time. They are the heart of every studio.
working with audio technica m50-x as headphones but then ill invest in monitors for sure. any opinion on for example the yamaha HS range?
The HS range is ok. They are probably on the better side in the cheap monitor range, but at some point you would want to move on.

Look at spending around £500 -£1000 for pair of good mid priced monitors.
Better going for something at the mid price bracket that will stay with you for a lifetime.
Buy cheap, buy twice, as they say.

M50x are ok, they have problems though (mid range channel level problems being one). If they were your sole monitoring option I would definitely upgrade to something better.

As for dum machine, meh, not an urgent purchase really. Ableton vst`s and good sampling skills will get you great (I would say better) results than your average drum machine, which will be fairly limited.
I think you are right, get other stuff first (versatile synth), leave the drum machine until later.
Ill visit thomann maybe to look for monitors in that price range than. Would a polysix or minilogue cut it as versatile synths? I have the opportunity to buy them both atm.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Minilogue is a great synth, I`m getting one myself.

I think I prefer the polysix for overall sound (hard to say, I`ve not had enough time with the minilogue yet), but it`s not midi and they can have costly faults, I used to own one and I have only played around with a minilogue for a couple of days, but it sounds great, it really does, lovely bass, lovely pads, nice leads and plenty of potential, and of course, poly.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Hux wrote: Would a polysix or minilogue cut it as versatile synths? I have the opportunity to buy them both atm.
Minilogue would be nice to start with but save the money and put it towards monitors. Yes it sounds boring to you now but after a year or two with bad monitors, you will be regretting it in a big way.

Hux
Get a fucking avatar

Post by Hux »

buffered wrote:
Hux wrote: Would a polysix or minilogue cut it as versatile synths? I have the opportunity to buy them both atm.
Minilogue would be nice to start with but save the money and put it towards monitors. Yes it sounds boring to you now but after a year or two with bad monitors, you will be regretting it in a big way.
If everyone is saying it it must be true :) if i have money left i might put it towards a minilogue but its clear to me monitors are the way to go now

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

B Stock (B - Schtuke??) on Thomann & Musicstore can have some good items.

Full warranty too.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Honestly, If I were you I would invest some more time in getting to know Push 2 before you sell it off. I haven't owned it myself but from what I have seen and heard it's a great device to spark up your creativity. You probably don't see the possible uses for it now because you are just starting out. I can defenitely understand it can be an overwelming piece of equipment but you might find that when you invest some more time in it that you would of regretted selling it later on. Personally the first things I bought was an Akai mini and korg nanokontrol. These are just cheap controllers but it had everything I needed when I started out. Also I would at least do some research on some of the soft synths such as Massive, Omnisphere 2 and Serum before making a huge hardware synth purchase. It would be better if you make your own informed decison on what gear you buy instead of based on recommendations and later finding out that you would rather have owned another piece of gear.

At the end of the day you can do whatever the fuck you wanna do though :)

kirkwoodwest
quasi-public

Post by kirkwoodwest »

i love my push1. I don't know why you wouldn't want one with ableton live. If at the end of the day its a drum programmer it is worth it to me. Just enough hardware to make me forget that I'm locked into the computer.

Other things to use your push with that I love...
http://isotonikstudios.com/sigabort/isotonik-preditor/
http://isotonikstudios.com/pp-labs-pptc/

I guess you could get each of these functions from using a BCR and a novation controller. Still, I don't think any other gear in my studio holds up to the build quality of the push.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

TimBuys wrote:Honestly, If I were you I would invest some more time in getting to know Push 2 before you sell it off. I haven't owned it myself but from what I have seen and heard it's a great device to spark up your creativity. You probably don't see the possible uses for it now because you are just starting out. I can defenitely understand it can be an overwelming piece of equipment but you might find that when you invest some more time in it that you would of regretted selling it later on. Personally the first things I bought was an Akai mini and korg nanokontrol. These are just cheap controllers but it had everything I needed when I started out. Also I would at least do some research on some of the soft synths such as Massive, Omnisphere 2 and Serum before making a huge hardware synth purchase. It would be better if you make your own informed decison on what gear you buy instead of based on recommendations and later finding out that you would rather have owned another piece of gear.

At the end of the day you can do whatever the fuck you wanna do though :)
Also this, you can make amazing music just with software alone, don`t buy in to the meme that you have to go hardware to be valid, do it because you genuinely want to do it. It is a lot of ass ache compared to software.
New Shit

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Also this, you can make amazing music just with software alone, don`t buy in to the meme that you have to go hardware to be valid, do it because you genuinely want to do it. It is a lot of ass ache compared to software.
I dunno about ass ache, I think (good) hardware is mostly about the fun of it. Jamming about with gear is pretty much the best thing in life actually! Really difficult to get good results without spending 20k or more though. Quality stuff costs and you need quite a bit of it, if you want to have some variety too.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Barfunkel wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
I dunno about ass ache, I think (good) hardware is mostly about the fun of it. Jamming about with gear is pretty much the best thing in life actually! Really difficult to get good results without spending 20k or more though. Quality stuff costs and you need quite a bit of it, if you want to have some variety too.
20k???
There's guys making good shit on an SP404...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Barfunkel wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

By assache i mean, cabling. Cabling is an ass ache, especially when you get a decent amount of stuff.
Space, space is an ass ache, gear takes up a lot of space.
You need a reasonable amount of kit to make something, so money. Money is an ass ache.
Then you either need a mixer or a multi input card. More ass ache.
Then you need fx, more ass ache.

So yes of course it is fun once you have what you need to make music
Making music is fun. Full stop. Making music.

But compared to software, where you can have a more compact setup and get everything you need easily and cheaply, hardware is more ass ache.

What I am doing for example with my live PA is a massive assache compared to if I just used ableton.
Firstly in terms of space, I am having to get a custom manufactured flight case to carry it all so that it doesnt get wrecked when I fly. Expensive assache..
Simple stuff like moving through tunes in a way where I can keep the flow, easy with ableton, assache with my hardware PA. Even though I have an octatrack, dealing with samples is much more of an assache than doing so with software.
I have to be very careful with multiple polyphony, because Iimited by my kit, I cant just add another synth.
Its taken me months to put together a 2 hour PA. Actually is still taking me months, I am not finished or ready yet and I have a gig 2morro, so I'm going to have to go ableton (where making a new pa takes about a month) . Should be done for my spanish tour in november though.
Much more assache.
Fun, you get all the flashy lights and people tend to be more impressed, but more ass ache.
New Shit