Digital Synths

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Digital Synths

Post by Hades »

got one of their video's.
fucking love those guys, lovely old school groovy techno, and lots of great humor :
this one has the Virus B in there ;)

youtu.be/XzDbDx1aMNY
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

hey Mate.. It was S-Tek
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

s-tek was his username here, if I recall correctly.

ah sorry, see that John beat me to it

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

actually found his video's back when I remembered his username,
but was on the phone with my new CEO the last minutes,
gonna fucking sign my new contract in 3 hours from now.
wooohoo.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I even browsed all my youtube subscriptions, convinced I must have added them ages ago
but had no idea their username was "hofnaar",
so didn't recognize the name.

I'm really getting old :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

haha, look at these guys ffs,
dancing like crazy and eating banana's.

youtu.be/Rk8kQDqNzZE

what a perfect anti-dote to all these pics of über-serious depressed DJ's/producers that we see everywhere.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Hades wrote:haha, look at these guys ffs,
dancing like crazy and eating banana's.

youtu.be/Rk8kQDqNzZE

what a perfect anti-dote to all these pics of über-serious depressed DJ's/producers that we see everywhere.

You wanna know the story about that video?
All the shit they say in the beginning is supposed to be Swedish haha. Their "Swedish" talking was a piss take directed to myself :D
I've sampled their voices and shit in other videos and made silly tracks of it and sent them to S-Tek, this was his response pretty much. Haha.

Hilarious team and S-Tek is an old friend of mine.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
We had a CS1X, pretty bad synth overall but we were distorting it so the stepped filter was less noticeable. It did however mark the beginning of getting analogue style hands on control.

Had a Kawai K5. That was an unbelievable bitch to program, editing the harmonics via additive synthesis, but you could get some very strange sounds out of it. I kinda wish I still had that as you could make sounds I would be quite happy to use these days.
ugh, CS1x, horrible little synth, hated it when I owned it.
Sold it to get a Fizmo, which is still a totally unique wavetable synth,
produces far out sounds that you just somehow can't get with most other wavetable synths.

If you want similar sounds to the K5 Steve, why not get the K5000 with the macro controller (or load up the right preset in a BCR2000).
The K5000 is like the K5 on steroids.
I've had mine for ages and I just refuse to ever sell it. Just like my Fizmo.
I know there are SW synths that can almost do what these synths can, but they still stay unique,
and therefore, even though I barely use them, I just can't get rid of them.

Nothing sounds like my K5000r, honestly.
Oh we loved the CS1x at the time when it just came out. I mean you work with what you have, we got some amazing sounds out of it, you had to work so hard to do so, but we got there, plenty of multitracking, loads of stomp boxes etc, but we did alright with it, we were just at the end of our industrial phase and had started doing more dance. Like an industrial prodigy, and it worked in the kit. We weren't studio collectors, everything we had we used, it was used on stage and used on our releases. You just found what worked and then capitalised on it.
I mean, anything can be useful if you try really hard, and back then you just fought until it worked.
And you didnt really expect synths to do everything, you expected to run lots of outboard effects. I still work that way now really, everything for me is about the fx.
We are so spoiled now with all singing all dancing gear.

Obviously I would never buy one (CS1X) again (but I could say that about most of the gear I have bought and sold, I am rarely precious about gear, I've bought and sold more synths than most people will own in their lives). My partner had a lot of rompler modules like the orbit etc. He was very much in to that side of things. He liked order, I liked chaos.
I had my ESQ1, my juno 106, polysix, poly 800, k5, MS20, and the synth I most regret selling, the Maplin 5600s. Some others I forget, various DX TX stuff.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote: Oh we loved the CS1x at the time when it just came out. I mean you work with what you have, we got some amazing sounds out of it, you had to work so hard to do so, but we got there, plenty of multitracking, loads of stomp boxes etc, but we did alright with it, we were just at the end of our industrial phase and had started doing more dance. Like an industrial prodigy, and it worked in the kit. We weren't studio collectors, everything we had we used, it was used on stage and used on our releases. You just found what worked and then capitalised on it.
I mean, anything can be useful if you try really hard, and back then you just fought until it worked.
And you didnt really expect synths to do everything, you expected to run lots of outboard effects. I still work that way now really, everything for me is about the fx.
We are so spoiled now with all singing all dancing gear.
you're preaching to the choir. :D
I bought my first synth in '94, and all it had were GM sounds. I doubt the younger generations even know what GM sounds means. :)
Man did that thing suck. :lol:
But it had an onboard sequencer ("workstation", probably called like that because you had to work it so hard to get anything at all out of it), and it was the only thing I could find used locally in the shit hole of a town I grew up in,
in the days before internet and ebay and sorts...
2nd piece of gear I got was a Roland sound module (M-DC1, if I remember correctly, it should still be somewhere in my basement),
and it had 2 (!!) parameters I could program per sound : level and pan. :lol: :lol:
When I played live I had to manually use the + and - buttons to select my 8 patches inbetween songs because I wasn't able to get the program change messages going.
God, the horror...
And at least you still had FX. I didn't even have enough money for that. :cry:

Lost to the Void wrote: Obviously I would never buy one (CS1X) again (but I could say that about most of the gear I have bought and sold, I am rarely precious about gear, I've bought and sold more synths than most people will own in their lives). My partner had a lot of rompler modules like the orbit etc. He was very much in to that side of things. He liked order, I liked chaos.
I had my ESQ1, my juno 106, polysix, poly 800, k5, MS20, and the synth I most regret selling, the Maplin 5600s. Some others I forget, various DX TX stuff.
Same here, last time I counted I was at 30+ synths (including the 12 I still have now).
All the synths that I sold... I don't regret it at all.
That Maplin 5600s though, that thing looks fucking sweet !

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mattias wrote:
You wanna know the story about that video?
All the shit they say in the beginning is supposed to be Swedish haha. Their "Swedish" talking was a piss take directed to myself :D
I've sampled their voices and shit in other videos and made silly tracks of it and sent them to S-Tek, this was his response pretty much. Haha.

Hilarious team and S-Tek is an old friend of mine.
:D
I kind of thought they were laughing with Swedish (the mjölk shit), but didn't know you knew these guys.
Where are the video's where you sampled them ?

do they still make video's nowadays ?
I had the impression yesterday when I went to their channel he's now mostly doing photography stuff.
s-tek did work as a mastering engineer, right ?

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Hades wrote:
I had a D550 + PG1000 a few years ago.
It's really NOT worth it buying that synth nowadays.
Totally outdated and even with the PG1000 still a pain in the ass to program.

You have to remember all those sliders are in "pick-up mode" forever, so swap presets, move a slider, and you might totally change the sound and have a hell of a time to find back the original setting of the parameter.
And most decent sounds are bi-timbral, so press the button to adjust the other part, and you can start moving sliders again like crazy, hoping for the best.
Fucking sucks balls massively.

don't get it, honestly, a total waste of time nowadays.
Well Hades, thx for your info. The D50 has been deleted from my want list :D .
The things you mention will annoy me for sure.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

no prob man.

bought my bike today btw, didn't really have much more time to wait,
so couldn't get back and forth again via PM.
but I'll get back to you with a few questions about the lights (which I haven't bought yet)

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Yeah older digital synths are where its at imo, been buying and trying out a fair few the last years since they are so cheap and then selling them on. The JP800 is killer, very wide range of tones and sounds great, not cheap though.

Kawai KII is great value, used in so many early rave and Detroit classics. Korg DW8000 is interesting as is their fm model DS-8. All can be had for peanuts generally if you shop around and wait for a good deal. The DX line sound good but useless to program. Was never a fan of Roland D series personably.

EMU PK6 is next on my list, basically a Proteus 2000 with keys and arpeggiators.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

msl wrote:Yeah older digital synths are where its at imo, been buying and trying out a fair few the last years since they are so cheap and then selling them on. The JP800 is killer, very wide range of tones and sounds great, not cheap though.

Kawai KII is great value, used in so many early rave and Detroit classics. Korg DW8000 is interesting as is their fm model DS-8. All can be had for peanuts generally if you shop around and wait for a good deal. The DX line sound good but useless to program. Was never a fan of Roland D series personably.

EMU PK6 is next on my list, basically a Proteus 2000 with keys and arpeggiators.

did a quick google to see which one that EMU is,
found this, if you're interested :

http://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muziekins ... 81098.html

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I always wanted to try out a Proteus 2500, should be the best one of their whole series.
But you pretty much never come across them.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I always wanted an Ensoniq ESQ-1.

youtu.be/hJbNq12aC6o

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I always love the screens and letter type of those mid 80's synths.
My JX10 has that same type, and my Xpander as well.
So retro-futuristic nowadays. :)

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

my fav digital ever and currently the longest serving synth in the studio