What is Techno?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hepta
I Love YOU!!!
Re: What is Techno?

Post by Hepta »

None of the tracks above is Techno for me. The last track feels more Minimal than Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:
I had nothing to do with this.
I know man,
it's not like it takes a genius to figure it out.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Hepta wrote:None of the tracks above is Techno for me. The last track feels more Minimal than Techno.
Minimal (if we're talking about minimal techno here, not Steve Reich) is a subgenre of techno innit?
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

It sure is. But it wasnt even minimal techno to me, I define minimal-techno something more close to lets say Extravelt or Stephan Bodzin.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

This is so anal...

But yeah, I have to admit that some parts of the second track sounds a bit minimal techno, especially the ending.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hepta wrote:None of the tracks above is Techno for me. The last track feels more Minimal than Techno.
Ditto, at most I would say they were barely techno.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Proofing my point earlier why you shouldn't get too deep into genre discussions :)
Last edited by TimBuys on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It has gotten worse since techno has had a huge explosion in popularity.
It is a double edged sword in that people from other genres jump ship and come over bringing something new to add to techno.
But it also means new people come over who only have a surface understanding, having been exposed to the more commercial accessible side of it, and then push this side in to even more vanilla zones, taking the music further away from its core, but still throwing the word techno around. Techno itself has become harder to define because of it.
New Shit

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:It has gotten worse since techno has had a huge explosion in popularity.
It is a double edged sword in that people from other genres jump ship and come over bringing something new to add to techno.
But it also means new people come over who only have a surface understanding, having been exposed to the more commercial accessible side of it, and then push this side in to even more vanilla zones, taking the music further away from its core, but still throwing the word techno around. Techno itself has become harder to define because of it.

So true, 20 years ago (when it was a small subculture) I could tell you what Techno was. Now, I don't have a clue. I admit that I'm out of that world, never heard of a lot of the artists now days, but I guess that's cos I don't really immerse myself within techno like I did in my teens and twenties. personally for me techno was been simple to define, four to the floor, sounds that make you go "what the fuck is that?!!" and rhythms that make you jack. Nowadays I think it's become diluted and that makes it harder to define, don't get me wrong I still hear some great tracks being made (not least by subsekters) but the music has evolved in a direction that I sometimes fail to recognise.

what is techno? always simple to me......music that can't be played in bars.
FUCK-WIT

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

All these different subgenres that have emerged throughout the years get their own integrity in a way too with time. So what essentially was a subgenre before is now just a genre. DnB and Dubstep for example emerged from Jungle and Dub but are "original" genres with their own rights today. Its the same for many metal genres as well. And of course Techno hehe. But to define what is Techno, I think at least for me its something that you just hear and feel. It doesnt have to be the standard 4 on the floor drum patterns. It can be any pattern, any type of sound and arrangement but it needs to have THAT feeling.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Pelecaras wrote:
So true, 20 years ago (when it was a small subculture).
Define techno 20 years ago!

Was stuff like Westbam techno? How about all that UK breakbeat/hardcore stuff? Those were all over the charts and daytime radio. You could buy all kinds of techno compilations in normal supermarkets. You had stuff like Love Parade with millions of people attending etc etc.

Of course, if you only define techno as that Detroit stuff, then yeah, it was a small subculture.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Pelecaras wrote:
what is techno? always simple to me......music that can't be played in bars.
that's actually a pretty good definition in my opinion.

maybe they should start playing it in elevators !
preferably the ones in hospitals and retirement homes... :D
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Barfunkel wrote:
Pelecaras wrote:
So true, 20 years ago (when it was a small subculture).
Define techno 20 years ago!

Was stuff like Westbam techno? How about all that UK breakbeat/hardcore stuff? Those were all over the charts and daytime radio. You could buy all kinds of techno compilations in normal supermarkets. You had stuff like Love Parade with millions of people attending etc etc.

Of course, if you only define techno as that Detroit stuff, then yeah, it was a small subculture.

I suppose what I meant by small subculture referred more to the people than the actual music. Yeah sure there was love parade and techno compilations but generally the amount of people 'into' techno as a way of life was small. What I was trying to say was that I could more easily recognise the 'scene' 20 years ago than today, but as I said I'm not really part of that world anymore.

To answer your question though...westbam is not techno to me, and uk breakbeat and hardcore is not pertinent to the discussion as it is so easily identifiable as NOT being techno.

To me..techno is energy flash, it's magneze, it's badger bite etc, to others of a younger age it will be other tracks.
FUCK-WIT

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

If you are bored of talking to humans you might want to ask the same question to a snake. This is only advisable in Northern areas of Europe avoiding zoo's. Liability for error leading to injury,illness or fatality not accepted.

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

Avmilli kills it everi tiem.

Techno is the music which can follow my footsteps while i am alive.
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

0xa wrote:Techno is the music which can follow my footsteps while i am alive.
Or his lol.

youtu.be/dUu3gRHku2Q

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Techno is Jeff Mills playing a 909 only cover of David Bowies A Space Odyssey at the funeral of astronaught Neil Armstrong (this actually happened).

909 snare rolls for 10 hours non stop. That is techno

909 snare rolls.

New Shit

Mr.Dino
fake

Post by Mr.Dino »

What is techno? - by youtube

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YenRntvKRkQ [/youtube]

thats alright, i guess..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Techno is not reading the little indt
Mr.Dino wrote:What is techno? - by youtube

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YenRntvKRkQ [/youtube]

thats alright, i guess..
Techno is not reading the little instructions that appear underneath the youtube button when you press it so that you fail to embed a video?

Namely
Enter the video ID string -- the video ID string is the part after v= in the URL
New Shit

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Lost to the Void wrote:909 snare rolls for 10 hours non stop. That is techno
:lol: