Re: What is Techno?

Post by Mslwte »

techno is groove

youtu.be/PYxBdgpJ0es
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Aurongroove wrote: ...neither, my favorite type of classical music is Phillip Glass"
did you read his autobiography "words without music" ?
been reading it on and off the last 2 months, nice stuff, really shows how extremely motivated this guy was (and still is).
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mslwte wrote:techno is groove

youtu.be/PYxBdgpJ0es
I know you don't want me editing your posts, but I went in to correct the youtube link that wasn't working.
(shame on you !) ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Aurongroove wrote:In response to those examples (drum less techno tracks).

Yes those examples miss out on the primary element of "techno"; repetitive percussion. But look at all the other elements it has in common. Distorted production, short staccato note hits, obviously synthetic instrument voicing. The tracks are basically a "synths section" of a techno tack, without the drums, (one of two of them literally labels as such "famous Techno DJ's No Drums remix" or whatever).

For a person to be tall or short they don't have to be the tallest or shortest person in the world, for a track be "be techno" or "have elements of techno" it doesn't need to be the techno-iest track in the world. Tracks can be little bits of multiple styles of music, whilst still primarily being one particular sound.
Basically don't twist my logic; it IS false to say a track without drum cannot be techno. in the right kind of set an acapella of Dancing Queen can be techno.

Now, before anyone hits me on the head with the "I don't like labels, I know techno when I hear it" ideology, yes I know that ideology exists, I'm not challenging that, I'm looking empirically at what techno is, not what it is as an abstract concept. As an abstract concept Techno (and music in general) has many shifting and contradictory elements. For answering the question "what is techno" empirically, the answer will be something that any reasonable person will be able to listen to it, and be unable to say "...that's not really techno, it doesn't sound like techno, nor does it conform to any sort of sounds associated with techno".

For example, Eminem; most of Moby's music, is not techno. Some is, but most is not. Not that I'm knocking it, it just isn't. The problem for Eminem and most people who "don't listen to techno", is Techno has become the "classical music" of EDM. People think all Electronic dancing music is techno
"what's your favorite type of techno, house? or garage?" "..neither, my favorite type of techno is dubstep"

Likewise, "whats your favorite type of classical music, Bach or Tchaikovsky?" "...neither, my favorite type of classical music is Phillip Glass"
I honestly think you're over-thinking this whole thing.

The people who think all electronic (corrected by mods after years of using the wrong word) music can be called techno are proper cunts anyway,
and should be avoided at all times,
and the ones that aren't cunts but need to get to know more about music to make the distinction between all these different genres,
they are way better served with a few good audio examples than any attempt on defining the genre with words. ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I feel like the first time someone asked me what "film noir" is.
I was able to come up with a pretty decent explanation,
but I still felt ridiculous trying to explain it with words instead of just putting on a film.

Mr.Dino
fake

Post by Mr.Dino »

Techno for me its something metaphysical, it can have a way to do and all the producer knows, but i'm answering here as a listener only.
The real techno for me have to build and image in my mind which is played in a surreal place or futuristic space. Abstract instruments scratching and jumping all around. The percursive part its just the elements to lead how your history is beeing told.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

This is the best explanation of Techno I can think of :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr86EVX ... .be&t=8m6s

Sorry, embedding with YT-link with start time doesn't work.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Hades wrote:

youtu.be/PYxBdgpJ0es
I know you don't want me editing your posts, but I went in to correct the youtube link that wasn't working.
(shame on you !) ;)

lol no problem! I am at work and was rushing to post it 8-)
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

youtu.be/PYxBdgpJ0es
Nice track.

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

Prime question. A good answer to this can be obtained through the historical significance of Tour de France - Kraftwerk. Argued to exist before the term techno was coined in Detroit commentators have stated. It is interesting to note the lyrics for a track made by Germans are actually in French. The track has been used within sets played by techno DJ's since the 90's, alongside such labels as Direct Beat and other synth lead production outfits.

Changing the subject slightly; What are peoples views on DJ Shadow's latest LP - 'The Mountain Will Fall'?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

avmilli wrote:
Changing the subject slightly; What are peoples views on DJ Shadow's latest LP - 'The Mountain Will Fall'?
Its rubbish. Not nearly as good as the very popular one he made 30 years ago.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

avmilli wrote:

It reminds me of the sound of balls slapping against an ass, but not in a good way, in a bad rapey way, combined with the fanny fart of someone who has had a lot of kids, and the air just floats out with no effort at all, like a wet sort of phweh sound, like the audio equivalent of dissapointment.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

Hades wrote: I honestly think you're over-thinking this whole thing.

The people who think all electronic (corrected by mods after years of using the wrong word) music can be called techno are proper cunts anyway,
and should be avoided at all times,
and the ones that aren't cunts but need to get to know more about music to make the distinction between all these different genres,
they are way better served with a few good audio examples than any attempt on defining the genre with words. ;)
It's not really a matter of over thinking or under thinking, The OP was asking
When does a track become techno and when does it stop being techno, Honest question
And I gave an honest answer.

Also, just a personal note in case my academic crusade lead anyone to believe otherwise; I'm not a stickler for genres.
I like the analytic side of things yes, but at the end of the day it's just you, your ears and a piece of music/art.
Genre definitions serve no purpose other then being descriptive nouns when you're actually talking to other people about music. That's the only reason they need to be defined and not "wishy-washy".

I mean what else are you supposed to do?

"What kind of EDM do you like?"

"EDM? oh mostly I listen to *starts-beat-boxing-because-there-are-no-descriptive-nouns-that-have-a-definite-meaning-in-EMD*... that kinda stuff"

The other option is to use Names, places and labels "Oh I mostly listen to the Kompakt Extra label. Or Detroit stuff, isn't Theo Parrish just on fire this year?"

But doesn't that sound insufferably pretentious? it's like constant name dropping, or discussing fashion. Music needs firm descriptive nouns, or we'll end up like "contemporary classical music" where none of the words make any sense and the music is just as bad.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Hades wrote: all electronic (corrected by mods after years of using the wrong word) music can be called techno are proper cunts anyway,
Not plural,
mod.
I doubt two or more were needed for such a simple action.
Is someone still cranky ? :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Aurongroove wrote:
Genre definitions serve no purpose other then being descriptive nouns when you're actually talking to other people about music. That's the only reason they need to be defined and not "wishy-washy".

I mean what else are you supposed to do?
absolutely, which is why I said :
just avoid the ones who won't ever know anyway.
If you're talking to someone who's totally into this as well, you can say stuff like "X's last album sounds a bit like the first album from Y on Z label" or whatever, or "like a crossing between A and B, but on steroids, with an old school 90's flavour". You know, way more precise things, if you must talk about it.
Best way is still to listen to it.

kind of like what you said here :
Aurongroove wrote:
The other option is to use Names, places and labels "Oh I mostly listen to the Kompakt Extra label. Or Detroit stuff, isn't Theo Parrish just on fire this year?"
Aurongroove wrote:
But doesn't that sound insufferably pretentious? it's like constant name dropping, or discussing fashion.
Not if you use it amongst people you know well. If the name-dropping is functional, then I don't think it's pretentious.
It's pretty easy to tell the difference.
Aurongroove wrote:
"What kind of EDM do you like?"
none, thank you very much. :mrgreen:

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Hades wrote:
Hades wrote: all electronic (corrected by mods after years of using the wrong word) music can be called techno are proper cunts anyway,
Not plural,
mod.
I doubt two or more were needed for such a simple action.
Is someone still cranky ? :)

I had nothing to do with this.

hoth system
Unfriended

Post by hoth system »

I’m a complete Nazi when it comes to “what is techno,” I think there are clear boundaries. There is, of course, a grey area, but for the most part I can easily class something as techno or not. Not that “non-techno” and “techno” can’t go together – in a good set/mix it is refreshing to hear different sounds together (DVNT/Mantis Radio demonstrates this brilliantly). That said, if it’s too housey – it ain’t techno. It it’s too dubsteppy –it ain’t techno. If it’s too experimental/cross genre – it ain’t techno. Clark, for example – phenomenal is he is – ain’t techno (not that he’s trying/claiming to be). Ditto Aphex Twin – not techno (despite Quoth being a techno classic – I contradict myself here, but you know what I mean). Pretty much all Surgeon – techno. These Hidden Hands – techno, despite being a million miles away from 4/4 loopy inventive madness. I love nothing more than a pure techno mix, the likes of which being regularly provided by Arnaud Le Texier. Slam Radio’s Sleeparchive mix – my favourite techno mix of recent times.

It’s a bit like heavy metal. To me there’s a clear “is metal/is not metal” divide. Motorhead and Black Sabbath – both attributed with defining the genre, to me are not metal. Soundgarden – not metal. Alice In Chains – metal.

That all said – all of the above is a pile of bollocks. Just my opinion. But all opinions are valid, if not accepted/agreed upon. Subjective shit, innit. I shall now return to my icy cavern to await the rumble of approaching enemy.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

nice to see you here mr Hoth

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Techno is not Bumload but it used to be
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

Is this techno? The artist is typically considered "techno" and the album is considered "techno", but if you think about it, This track, it;s DNA, it's structure, it's shape. It'sactually hip hop.
youtu.be/JYyq9w3s3cM

What about this? same album, one of my favorite ever pieces of Techno. But thinking about it I would probably define it as 50/50 Techno and IDM.
youtu.be/HkwnWFmUzZc
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.