Rene Wise - Untitled (WIP)

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
RWise
durchfall
Rene Wise - Untitled (WIP)

Post by RWise »

So heres a track ive been working on. Theres not much else i can hear what to do with it, so i would love to get some others perspective on it.

Im working on an EP atm and this is track is meant to be one of the more straight forward, hypnotising tool tracks. (havent fully decided if its gonna make the final cut yet..)

Its not mastered, the link below is just the mixdown but with a limiter on it to bring up some level.

Equipment used:

Yamaha AN1x
Doepfer Dark time sequencer
Moog sub 37
Eventide h9 fx pedal
Tascam m06 mixer
Some drums came from the tr-9 but mainly sample based.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/renewise/clave-demo/s-pyD7H
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Rene Wise - Untitled (WIP)

Post by dubdub »

It sounds quite nice, track is driving and punchy. Bass is great and the hats have a nice swing-y feeling. Kick is quite nicely done, sits well in the mix, not too small, not too big. Also works well with the bass.

I think the mix is a bit top-heavy, the noise on top is a bit harsh. Some gentle shelving on top would make the track sound a bit warmer and fuller. The sequences sound a little dry and they're a bit basic in terms of harmonic content, which makes the midrange feel a bit empty and lifeless. Some extra dub style filter/delay/reverb would give it a bit more life and interest. Since you mentioned the H9 pedal, some harmonizer algorithms could probably also work wonders. Just a bit more saturation overall couldn't hurt, would give it a bit more bite.

The sporadic noise at 0:36 is too dry, it's a bit jarring considering the rest of the mix is very smooth. Needs some filter/delay/reverb.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

dubdub wrote:It sounds quite nice, track is driving and punchy. Bass is great and the hats have a nice swing-y feeling. Kick is quite nicely done, sits well in the mix, not too small, not too big. Also works well with the bass.

I think the mix is a bit top-heavy, the noise on top is a bit harsh. Some gentle shelving on top would make the track sound a bit warmer and fuller. The sequences sound a little dry and they're a bit basic in terms of harmonic content, which makes the midrange feel a bit empty and lifeless. Some extra dub style filter/delay/reverb would give it a bit more life and interest. Since you mentioned the H9 pedal, some harmonizer algorithms could probably also work wonders. Just a bit more saturation overall couldn't hurt, would give it a bit more bite.

The sporadic noise at 0:36 is too dry, it's a bit jarring considering the rest of the mix is very smooth. Needs some filter/delay/reverb.
Thanks for the points man. I can see sense in every thing you pointed out.

Ive been having that gut feeling on 'something isnt right' with this track for a week now and decided i just dont really like the main synth sequence. Just sounds cheap to my ears now. So this track will probably be binned.

But regardless, im going to have a play on them pointers you mentioned for learning experience.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah. Making these kind of sequences work is really, really difficult. Some people like Jeroen Search just seem to have an ear for it but a lot of the stuff that gets released in that style just sounds inane. It's fine line between a techno banger and a sequence that sounds like something out of a childrens' toy synthesizer or someone firing off random test tones :lol:

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Yeah for sure. what i learned through my phase of studying jereon is that its all about simplicity. Just jam that shit out on the machines and dont start over processing.

One of my biggest problems when producing is keeping shit raw and not overdoing the FX and processing.