VCTR - Sunset City

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
victer
Pig
VCTR - Sunset City

Post by victer »

First time sharing one of my tracks in this section, I would love to get feedback. I had opportunity to do the mix-down with at a friend of mine who has a treated studio (not perfect but probably better than my bedroom...) so it's a good idea to get feedback on this one I think. would love to hear what you guys think of the arrangement as well. any other comment is of course welcome.

Here is a dl link :
https://we.tl/RRGQcjAfln

Thanks in advance for listening, I hope you like it !
facebook.com/bepulsed

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: VCTR - Sunset City

Post by over9000 »

i like the mix. sounds clean and balanced on my headphones. cant say much about lowend though.
i would like the track to progress a bit faster in the first part. all the elements fit nicely and theres a nice evolution of sounds.
although i dont like where the track is going, not my style, but thats just personal opinion.
i think the big break is a bit over the top, maybe go a little easier on the cutoff/distortion/whateveritis of the synths there.
other then that good work!

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

Thanks for the feedback ! Its funny because I wouldn't consider this to be my style either but this track almost wrote itself. All the elements came very easily, even the arrangement wich is the part I struggle with in general.
facebook.com/bepulsed

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Mix sounds solid to me, those noise-y hats are bit too bright, I'd roll them off a bit. Kick could maybe punch through the lowend a bit more.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Apart from what's been said already, it's a solid piece. It gets really going after the break. It's a bit 'hmmm' before. I'd think about introducing those elements a bit earlier, or teasing them in with a one-shot or so as the first 2 mins is indeed a bit boring.

I think you need to be a bit more creative in the section after the break. It starts full gas, but has no-where to go for the next 1.5 mins, no tension to build, just essentially more of the same, as you've showed all your hand already. So it seems boring, when in fact there's a lot happening. I'd maybe take out a major element after the break, or get filter something in slowly.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Alright, grabbed this and ran through the gear.

So the big issue for me is the low end (small studios always have low end issues).
The kick really lacks any weight and heft to drive the track, especially once all the elements fill the mix.
The bass/subs in general, could be more full too.
There is a touch too much weight from 100 - 300, but not too much.
Also you could probably do with a better choice of sound for hi-hat. The sound you have used has it`s main body at 16k, which is the air region, a region lacking any real weight (and also a tinnitus inducing place to have a main percussive part), which leaves this big chasm in the top end region that works best to balance against the kick (5-8k and 12k). I would either pitch this hat down, or use a different sound altogether so that the top end has enough weight and heft to balance out the the mix against the lows.
Think of the mix like a see saw, if you have a big thick kick, then you need a nice thick hat at the other end of the mix to balance out the call and response, the seesaw, of the mix.

The woody clap/snare is maybe a little too sharp and could do with some softening down with EQ, just to remove some of the offending resonance seemingly around 3k, and maybe dropping it in level by 1db in the mix.

So here is a link to a file where I have made some corrections as an example, but these problems really something that needs to be addressed in the mix, not at mastering, so I couldn`t really fully fix the issues.
The main organ stab also might be a little loud.

What I did was to boost the 20-38 hz region by a db to add some heft to the lows, boost a little, a half db, at 50, just to push the main thump of the kick, pulled back a db from 100-250, pulled back a quarter db from 250 to 4k (to give more emphasis to the lows), from 4k to 10 k I boosted by about a 5th of a db, just to give the top end more weight, and then rolled off the harshness gently from 10k up. I also cut a touch where the clap sits.

https://we.tl/j2ege15jcC
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

This is very helpful ! thanks a lot everybody !
Will report back when I apply your suggestions.
facebook.com/bepulsed