impaired driving

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
paul-slacknoise
Face Hugger
impaired driving

Post by paul-slacknoise »

cheers guys. if you have time let me know what you think.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: impaired driving

Post by Lost to the Void »

Ok, downloaded and ran through the gear.

so this is my take on the mix.

You`ve done a pretty pretty good of maintaining separation and clarity between the sounds, but it seems to be at the cost of overall cohesion. The elements feel very unrelated.
I think this is partly due to a lack of dynamic and weight balance.
The low end is really thick. Really thick.. But the top end never balances against this, there is too much roll off from 2k upwards, and even when I rebalanced this, there was nothing really there to balance of against the thick lows. The hats are fairly inconsequential.
The mid range bells, although they have volume and space, they lack any weight and size, and flow in the middle of the mix, disconnected from everything else. Some more weight to these sounds, maybe backing them up with some thick analog bells one octave down, would help.

The 100 to 300hz region is also too thick, further emphasising the lack of weight above this frequency, when I pulled back in this region it did help a little with coherence.

The kick could also do with more weight against the bass, although the two are nicely separated the beat never really works and locks in as the kick doesn`t really move any air.

Overall, as a musical choice, I think some more swing to the overall groove could help make the beat less stiff and more effective.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

paul-slacknoise
Face Hugger
Re: impaired driving

Post by paul-slacknoise »

hey, thank you very much for your detailed feedback. I reckon i am always coming back to the same problems as it seems. I will try to work on it again and experiment a bit. Somehow i always tend to load up the lower part of the frequency spectrum.

cheers