Will Frances 3 track selection

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Will Frances
Gnasher
Will Frances 3 track selection

Post by Will Frances »

Hi all,

After another period of frustration and intermittant motivation over the last 3/4 weeks ive collated some tracks. Namely 3 of 12. Not sure how I feel about them just yet, maybe someone can share their thoughts...

Downloadable links enabled on these, should anyone want to look at them a bit deeper.

Thank you to anyone who takes any time to check them out. :)

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: Will Frances 3 track selection

Post by over9000 »

definitely good laidback tracks, like the mix and general atmospheres
the melodics on the first track sound a bit too obvious for me, but thats just my taste i guess.
second one is fine too, maybe the melody is getting a bit too much filter opening or distortion or what it is in the mid part.
last one is my fav, love the groove with the crunchy sounds!
i have a gig at a daydance party soon, will play it there if you dont mind :)
would be even better to have a the wav ;)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I think your basses need to be a bit more controlled dynmically, it's better in the second tracks but the others are a bit wild. Compression and tighter envelopes will help. I think the first and third track could use some extra gentle saturation across the board, which would also help with dynamics.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

They sound well produced for sure.

I agree that the melody in the first track is just too simple and gives it a real amateur feel, when really it isn't. Another less 'happy'/ obvious melody would really do it some justice. It's really nice just after the break (which sounds like you were listening to a lot of that eric prydz/ four tet remix), but then that melody comes in again....! It's really really nice during and after the break. I'd be tempted to remake the track . the melody.

I also agree that the bass in the second is too overpowering, dubdub has better hearing than me.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I downloaded and ran the 3rd track through the gear.

Here is my technical feedback based on what I would correct for mastering.

Big thickness in the 150 - 500hz range is making the tune sound overly thick and heavy. When I pulled back around here the kick got more solid, the bass felt deeper.
Incidentally the kick and bass aren`t really separated enough, and will mash further together in mastering.
The kick could be clearer in the high mids and a touch louder in the mix, whilst the bass could come down in overall level by a db or 2.
The mix needs more air for something this heavy in lows. There is a steepish roll off from 10k, I pushed up a little from 10 to 13k (which is where the fundamental of one of the hats/shakes sits) to give a little more air to the mix which made everything balance much more nicely.
The organ chords that sit above 700hz are a little thin, they could be a little thicker and maybe a little more spaceous to fill the vast chasm between the top and and the lows, some more reverb, or just a thick more lively organ sound overall will give the mids more detail and vitality.

Other than that this all sits well. I would say until the kick/bass clarity issue is sorted, this is not ready to be mastered, but even with the basic processing I did above, it sounds pretty tight, so you are not far off.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Thanks all for your comments I really appreciate it, i really wasn't sure about these tracks.

I thank you Steve, very much. At a time when I'm quite jaded and fed up with the slog of production, questioning everything and finding it difficult to find any direction to travel in. Having some seasoned ears on it really is invaluable, I understand this really helps you peer into your productions in a more subjective way. For you to take the time and invest so heavily into this forum let alone this craft I really salute you.

When I get back into the studio on Monday morning I will enjoy referencing everyones comments.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

S'all good, we have a good community here.
My personal mission is to get more people here putting out quality productions to combat the sea of wackness out there.
New Shit

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

So i had a go at some mix adjustments on my third track based on technical feedback from Steve,

In the 150-500 region aot of my fundamentals are for my music layers, i tried to pull back on elements that didnt need to be present here to give space to those that did.

To seperate the bass and kick more I used some mirror EQing to hopefully allow them to sit a bit better, though im still not sure its quite enough. I boosted the nose of the kick for a bit more present in the hi mids and also boosted the low kick. I pulled down the bass overall in the mix. Once I did these adjustemnts I did start to recognise that the top of the mix seemed low, So I lookd at my HF drum elements and gave them a little boost as suggested.

My lead music elements I toyed with, tried new sounds, couldnt quite find what felt right, in the end I tried to unify them with some additional reverb and a little push in the upper mid region.

Looking at my mix again here I did notice this is a very mono friendly. I am not sure my bass and kick still has enough seperation, I may revist later on today, gotta do some work!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Didn`t download or run through the gear, just had a listen, and the low end is much much tighter in this revision.
Well done.
The kick could maybe come up a little, but you`ve removed a good amount of the woollyness from the low end now.
New Shit