Runnin' against the bell

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
celome
quasi-public
Runnin' against the bell

Post by celome »

Hi folks,

Have been producing a lot of stuffs recently but I think this one is quite interesting.
Really "simple" effective techno, sounds organic to me with a deep low end.
Tried to approach mood from early 2k10 techno tracks meaning subtle groove & few elements ; probably just relevant things to keep the listener focused.
Technically, I used pro R from fabfilter a lot, "bells" were created via collision (built-in synth in ableton) with some delays. I also used a fairly amount of redux + erosion on percussive elements (hh / claps).
I also used some tape saturation for extra flava' on the master channel.

Then let me know what u guys think about this one !

Cheers ! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Célome
Music factory : https://soundcloud.com/celomemusic

New release :

Prophet 5rev4 - Model D behringer - Elektron Model:Cycles - Live 11 - push 2 - apc 40 -krk 6 g3 - ultrasone pro 550 - Elektron analog four mk2 - MacBook Pro - Akai lpk - Moog Minitaur

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Runnin' against the bell

Post by jordanneke »

I like it. It's very hypnotic by the end. Nice groove.

A few thoughts. There seems to be a bit too much resonance on the bell, maybe you want to check for any spikes on the spec analyser,

And secondly, the sample? that plays as the bass, and the second noise down there don't really sound well filtered. The sound like all the life has been taken out of them, same goes for the kick. They all sound a bit muffled. Perhaps try backing off the lp filter a bit? Maybe the tom? bass could do with a little less volume.

The pad that comes in maybe better brought in slowly

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

Tks jordan, nice piece of advice. :) (as always^^)
I re-worked the track based on what you said.
Bass/filter issue was coming from the fact that the sound i synthesized had some artifacts in the high end so i LP'ed quite a lot.
globally, I think there is less resonance and more "air" now !

New release :

Prophet 5rev4 - Model D behringer - Elektron Model:Cycles - Live 11 - push 2 - apc 40 -krk 6 g3 - ultrasone pro 550 - Elektron analog four mk2 - MacBook Pro - Akai lpk - Moog Minitaur

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Not sure what to make of this, it's got some interesting elements but for me it's not doing it (yet, at least).

Your hats seem to be well placed in the mix, and kind of tie it all together. The claps also sound decent. But....

The bass and kick combo do (still?) sound a little too restricted to me. Might also be that some of their freqs are clashing, while still being filtered to death. The bass sounds like it could be interesting but has just had the life sucked out of it.

What I can hear of the kick does sound nice, a shame it's hidden like that. Not really sure how you could deal with those things without destroying the character of the sound... That tape sim could have just mushed up the transients/harmonics, if you can't fix it in the mix dialing it down a bit would be the first thing I'd try.
\Those bell sounds seem to ring out strangely, which could be a good thing, but I feel there's some frequencies poking out that, well, shouldn't. The notes also seem a bit rigidly placed, that melody could probably benefit from placing it into more of a groove.

And if I'm being honest here, when you still have some mix issues generally it isn't a great idea to go slapping stuff on the master channel.

There seems to be some clicking going on (around 2:30 for example), so you might want to look into that. From where I'm standing there's still some work to be done, though if you're able to fix it up it would be an interesting track, it does have potential.
how far do you want to go

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

thx mr voodoo for this feedback.
I went back to the mix trying to fix issues (I re-listened to it an and what you mentioned was really helpful).
I Mainly reworked eqs', i removed the Tape simulator but to be honest it was not doing much (i did not slammed the track^^ :) ) and spent some time on balancing each track.

So here we are version 2.0 !

New release :

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

nice track, it develops nice and i like the pads in the end. Somehow the elements don't fit that much, like each on it's own is nice, but there could be more done to glue them together. Like having more click/ faster transients on the kick to connect it with the hh and bell. The kick sounds very dull to me. Also the hh could be a bit more in front to get everything more driving.
:geek:

bounduk
Exampleless

Post by bounduk »

I dig this a lot, I get the kinda sound you're going for, I'd maybe consider layering the bell synth with a more typical sounding FM kinda bell and maybe have a load of pingpong delay to automate throughout the whole thing to really get the hypnotic kinda vibe I think you talk about?