Detailed feedback.

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Detailed feedback.

Post by Lost to the Void »

I always want to help out here more but time runs away.
So I am going to make a concerted effort to set aside an hour or two a week in my work schedule to sit and do a critical listen to member mixes in the mastering studio, and give the typical mix fix feedback I would give a client.

Hopefully it will be useful as it gets an opportunity for music to be tested in full range.

I'm going to try to do this every Friday, how many tracks I can cover is time dependant, but I hope 6 or 7 per session.

To make it easier, if you want your track to be analysed fully, it would be handy to have a download link of your track (private link, by whatever means) listed in your post, that way I can run stuff through the gear for a proper analysis.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Root
BANNED
Re: Detailed feedback.

Post by Root »

Whoa, now that's some underground support! Thanks for helping the forum progressing that much. Since I'm active here I learned so much. I've sent you a pm with a download to my actual track here 8-)
:geek:

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Yeah, that's really cool man, someone with your knowledge chiming in regularly would probably help improve peoples sound immensely. Most people who post tracks know their stuff to an extent, though like I notice myself occasionally sometimes there are limits to the knowledge/equipment needed to get a clear picture of what's really going on/give helpful feedback.
how far do you want to go

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

wow ! thanks man !

Should we use this thread to post links ?

Thanks again :P
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I'm not sure wether to put the links here or just in their original threads. What would you guys prefer? I was just going to surf the weeks stuff and then listen and feed back.
New Shit

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I would love such feedback. I'm finishing up a track I've been working on for a long time. I need someone to rip it to shreds so I can get a reality check and set the bar even higher for my next track.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Probably easier if you just browse what's new in the forums. But if we do it with links, your effort will go the people that actually care about feedback and not be wasted on someone that just wants a pat on their backs or spam their track or something.

Anyways, thanks for the effort you're putting in man. With having no quality monitors and no room treatment it feels like swimming in the dark a little bit sometimes.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Set aside an hour at the end of work today to do this.
Went through all the recent posts, no download links, venture failed..........
New Shit

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I think people are probably trying to make their best ever work, if you are giving the opportunity to be hyper-critical.

I'd post up something, but I don't have anything good enough. Probably the same goes for the rest!

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

I didn't want to offer a free download for everyone, so i sent you a message with it :) ..would be awesome to get some feedback.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I wasn't necessarily going to be hyper critical, it would just be the same assessment I do when mastering commercially, only instead of doing any eq work I would write down what I would do to correct the balance and give notes on any mix fixes that would cause a return to sender.
Other than that it's an opportunity to have mixes run through a full range system in a treated room and have them assessed on that basis.
New Shit

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Great initiative mate.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Lost to the Void wrote: Other than that it's an opportunity to have mixes run through a full range system in a treated room and have them assessed on that basis.
And that's an opportunity a bedroom producer doesn't get that easy.. As i'm still training my ears to know my room and my setup, this would be really helpful, to find the right direction.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

It's going to take me a bit longer to complete. I haven't had a lot of time because all of my time has been going towards building my business. I'm doing my best to spend at least 1/1.5 hours on producing every evening. If that works out I will have it done in about 1 or 2 weeks. I really appreciate the opportunity.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

jordanneke wrote:I'd post up something, but I don't have anything good enough. Probably the same goes for the rest!
I'd say most of the tracks you posted up in the member section "are good enough". Unless you're trying to prevent me from posting my track? lol.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Lost to the Void wrote:Set aside an hour at the end of work today to do this.
Went through all the recent posts, no download links, venture failed..........
Damn. I'm still recovering/rebuilding after the hard drive crash. Wish I had some more stuff ready for some feedback. Fairly easy to set soundcloud links to 'private' and 'downloadable' from what I can remember...and if concerned about everyone getting hold of it, just send the link as a PM (maybe I'm missing something, or everyone is feeling a bit fearful of poor feedback, which is also understandable. And while constructive criticism is better in the long run (especially from someone with top end gear and knowledge), it can be hard to take at the time I guess).

I'd like to think I'd get on this given the great opportunity for no cost, but I'm just not there at the moment. (and besides the new stuff I've started making since the hard drive crash is decidedly more house than techno at the moment)

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

What an awesome idea. I will gladly offer up a download link for the next track I make!

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

thats amazing, thx alot dude!
really great to see investing so much time & sweat in this community!
i think its perfect to have the oppinion from someone with experience in a full range studio.
i posted a track with a download link.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Hi Steve,

I'm pretty sure (in fact infinitely so) that this is isn't your cup of tea, but since you are offering......

https://soundcloud.com/jordan-louis/eloy/s-n7IJt