Kromasome - Jupiter

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Kromasome
arsehole
Kromasome - Jupiter

Post by Kromasome »

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the "what are you working on" thread or in here, but I think I've got it as far as I can without losing perspective or trying ideas from others with a different/fresh perspective.

https://soundcloud.com/kromasome/kromasome-jf-2/s-nYi9S

Hope this isn't too cheesy.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to have a listen.

Also - I might be a bit thick, but it doesn't look like I can embed a private track - am I doing something wrong (I tried using the soundcloud button, but when I previewed the post it didn't show the track??)

Will Frances
Gnasher
Re: Kromasome - Jupiter

Post by Will Frances »

Big atmosphereic track, the lowend is massive, feels like a 'big room' kind of track, not alot going on above 400 hz overall. I think the low mids might be too loud or just too busy not sure. Id like some more upfront percussuion to be across it at points to spice up the groove and propell it forward. I feel that you have half a track there as (for me) there isnt enough new content to inspire too much interest after the first 3 minutes. I like your use of constant modulation on the main element and the cavernous distant feel to the track. I wouldnt mind some extra kicks also varying up the pure 4/4 throughout. Hope that doesnt come across as all negative most of it is purely subjective. Keep on keeping on!

Kraht
fake

Post by Kraht »

very nice thing going on! It got me floating a little :-).

Some things I noticed:
I like that I can actually hear you fiddle around with knobs like the filter. But on 3.23m for example, this took me out of the vibe and made it technical.. (hope you understand what i'm trying to say here).

The synth that's continously running on the back, I find it sometimes a bit dissonant. But I think you can get away with it if it has less volume in the mix.

I think the track has enough going on, also the timing of changes is nice and subtle.

Opnå
non reader

Post by Opnå »

Think you have all the parts there for a good track.

For me the kick is a little bit "slappy". that can work sometimes but i think it doesnt really fill the frequencies it should. In part i think maybe some of the mid rang atmospheric noises are over powering. They sound good individually but in terms of the mix i think a few levels and bits of EQing are off.

I'd beef up the low end of the kick and then start the mix again and try a difffernt set of levels. Think it could come out much better. Also as pointed out before a few of the filter tweeeks are a bit too obvious / sharp.

Overall some decent elements though.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Thanks for the feedback guys. All valid points that I will take on board for this track and for future efforts too.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

On headphones atm, so no real idea about the balance. Some cool sounds floating about in here though. First thing that comes to mind is the clap pattern, feels to me like it wants to be in front of the kick, not on it. Would fit the groove of the rest of your sounds as well probably. Some of the synth stabs could probably benefit if you'd add some dissonance.
Nice little track, worth it to give it another once over.
how far do you want to go

bioniceye
clueless

Post by bioniceye »

i think the kick is a little bit too clicky for this kind of track
there is very little high end in the mix
love the synths and the modulation
im missing a good clap

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Kraht wrote:very nice thing going on! It got me floating a little :-).

Some things I noticed:
I like that I can actually hear you fiddle around with knobs like the filter. But on 3.23m for example, this took me out of the vibe and made it technical.. (hope you understand what i'm trying to say here).

The synth that's continously running on the back, I find it sometimes a bit dissonant. But I think you can get away with it if it has less volume in the mix.

I think the track has enough going on, also the timing of changes is nice and subtle.
Thanks for the feedback Kraht. I know what you're saying about the filter moves sounding a bit random. This is because I did a lot of the sound design in separate sessions to making the track and the filter moves are actually built into the resulting audio from the sound design session. I decided to leave it as is for now as I kind of liked the almost "live" feel ie I didn't want to over-program things (something I feel has been a downside to many of my previous efforts), but I agree that I could probably do some better editing on the parts that I have used.

I will probably come back to the track at a later stage and maybe try a different kick (like some others have suggested) and maybe try a whole new mix to see how it turns out (will tackle that dissonant synth that is a bit too high in the mix at the same time).

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Too much ominous reverb/pads in the background. The drums are nice but they don't have any space to punch.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

I like the synths that comes around 3 minutes mark, the filter sweeps have already been mentionned, I feel like you're eqing out some high end on your hats and stuff, and also the idea of using another kick could work wonders. keep up the good job

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

It's a good track, just too 'spacey'. The atmosphere of the verb needs taming a bit, and I think for sure the low end needs bringing up a few db.

If I turn down the volume, I can clearly hear everything, but only the highs of the kick. Nothing of the low end.

Nice though