Jordanneke - Rea

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Jordanneke - Rea

Post by jordanneke »

Yo,

Some techno. I'm a little unsure about the kick, it's maybe a bit boxy, over my phones and my monitors it seems to work, but in the car it sounds too 'doof doof'.

The arrangement is quite simple as with all my tracks, but I have stepped outside my comfort zone and put a break towards the end of the track.

Any comments at all?

Will Frances
Gnasher
Re: Jordanneke - Rea

Post by Will Frances »

I like this a lot, got a lot of classic techno elements in it. It feels a little long maybe because its your recycling of elements is a little obvious in the arrangement. The kick and bass does pound along pretty much without variation. There is emotion and subtly in this track which I can really feel. Really like that distorted Porc/ snare thing. Feels very warehouse vibe which I like. Also feels very ridged with its groove until the hats come in and help shuffle it up. There isn't actually a lot going above like 500 Hz. Some strings layered atop could bring nice variation to the pad/ lead line maybe just a suggestion.

I like your sound, the mix to me feels nice and clear/ coherent and as one.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I really like it from about 2:19 on, but I think it takes way too long getting to that point. I also think there's a mixing mismatch between the kick and the snare/clap thingy. The kick has size but it's also kind of quiet, whereas the snare/clap thingy is relatively loud. Doesn't quite feel right to me.

The synths from 2:19 on are lovely.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Synths sound nice. I like the initial empty groove, good for mixing.

The 16th hats could use some variation, try varying the decay, the volume, and the filter cutoff. I like to put my 16th hats in 5, 7, or 9 time so that they cycle without repeating themselves obviously.

The clap sounds a little weird. I would EQ some of the mids out of it, and maybe turn it down a bit (it sounds pokey when it first comes in, but then once all the other elements are there it sounds pretty good. maybe you could automate the volume or fade it in or something so it doesn't jump out so much)

Overall, I like the track. Where's the break though?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I think this is great, Jordan. I love the subtle melody and how everything comes together at about 5 minutes is lovely. But I think that coming together is also the only real problem with the track, it feels like a 5 minute intro and then it just ends once it's got going. I think a bit of rearrangement and you'd have a winner on your hands here.

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

I may not have fully "got your style" I realize.

I say this becasue there are several reoccurring elements in your tracks, which at first I assumed were technical shortcomings, but seeing them reappear, more realized and more developed then before, they're obviously (some of them) decided features.

I find your kicks are overly dubbish and "bigroom" for the sound worlds you otherwise create (as a mater of taste).
Your kick has no 'click' that cuts through the treble of the mix; the entire kick happens in the low end so to speak and not even 'dainty little verbed hats' are flustered in the treble region when they strike along with the Kick drum.

This has a certain charm, it's just not a charm I realized was a charm until now, and now I realize it, I find it incredibly pleasing and satisfying.

I don't have too much to say technically about the track, I do like the unusual-for-you arrangement, but mind those synths don't sound too 'cheap' when exposed like that toward the end. There must be 100 ways now-a-days to add warmth, warble or colour to a sound like that.

A really, lovely listen jordan.

(for a moron with WRONG kick drums)
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

jordanneke wrote:Yo,

Some techno. I'm a little unsure about the kick, it's maybe a bit boxy, over my phones and my monitors it seems to work, but in the car it sounds too 'doof doof'.

The arrangement is quite simple as with all my tracks, but I have stepped outside my comfort zone and put a break towards the end of the track.

Any comments at all?

Actually quite a noteable track. Once turned up the kick comes to life, bringing forth the low end intricascies... i also love the synth work or ate they samples?
love it
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The bottom end and the click part of the kick feel a bit disconnected, which makes it sound a bit awkward IMO. The pad is nice but doesn't really come through enough.

Doombrain
tense

Post by Doombrain »

This is the techno beat I like... sounds good on my head phones for sure.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Thanks all for the input, and thanks for the positive comments

I tweaked it with your suggestions.

1 -The hats have some autofilter on them to give them just a little more groove
2- The snare has been tamed a bit with vol control
3- The arrangement has been lengthened and altered a little

The synth is from reaktor but one which allows lots of separate modulation of the individual oscillators. It's a great vst

Another one to sit on the hard-drive... :)

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

I like the new version for various subtle reasons.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Hats and snares sound better this time. In general the mix sounds more cohesive and polished.

I still think the main synth line takes a bit too long to come in (still around 2:00), but this is your baby and you have to go with your gut instinct--even if that means not listening to my excellent advice. :P

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Lovely tune as ever Jordan. One of my favourite producers on this forum, really like your style.

MattAltmanMusic
Face Hugger

Post by MattAltmanMusic »

I love the kick... Nice and punchy, and it works really well with the bass as well. Super hypnotic groove as well.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Excellent stuff Jordan. Please let us know if you release any of your stuff or when you make any of your tracks downloadable - if I ever get around to DJ'ing again I'd love to mix with some of your tracks.

I love the space in this one (like most of your tracks).

Nice balance of sounds overall too.

Aureliano
BAD

Post by Aureliano »

A nice deep, hypnotic groove to this, by the second half of the track I was really into it and bobbing my head along.

In the second half of the track, all the synths and ambience mask that squelchy snare in a good way. At the start of the track when everything is a bit bare, the squelch doesn't sit that well (at first I thought bad sound choice) but then by the end of the track it sounds ace.

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

Spot on man. Great work with the percussion's too. Kick works really well. Don't have any suggestions / complaints, believe further nitpicking is all relative to taste =p

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Got a nice I hate models feel to it, really like the synths and the overall atmosphere of the track

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Lovely work. Great chords / pads and the white noise kind of washy sounds are ace.

Don't have anything technical to add or criticise tbh.

snitch
fake

Post by snitch »

very nice Sounddesign!
Perfect low/kick work here. I wish i could mix low end like that :)