mervv 2 tracks

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
mervv
Jan : )
mervv 2 tracks

Post by mervv »

I have two things I want to share, so I figured I'd just make one post instead of clogging up the board.

First is this one. There's something about the high-mids and highs that I'm not quite happy with, but otherwise I'm fairly pleased with the overall vibe of this one.

Then there's this one, which I just finished today. When doing the quick self-master to share with friends I pushed it a little harder. I feel my poor low-end monitoring options held me back on this one. It sounds and feels tight to me, but it could be messy. I'd appreciate any input on that or anything else, for that matter.

Amøbe
Moderate
Re: mervv 2 tracks

Post by Amøbe »

looking forward to hearing it :) I have some errands this evening, so might not get back before tomorrow, but if you are up to your standards, then I'm in for a treat :)

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Cant really comment on the mix, but enjoying the music, especially Cycle!

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Both of those tracks are great - you got some really interesting sound design going on :) The second track sounds very good to me, and the first one doesn't sound bad, but I think you could maybe turn the high end down just a little bit - that's the only thing that popped into my mind, when listening. It doesn't sound bad at all!

Really great work :)

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

There is something about the first track that makes it seems like a very long intro without the kick ever coming. it got me a little frustrated after 2 minutes. This could be because of the unbalance between low and mid/high you mention..

the second track is really cool, just proper techno. the ix also sounds good to me, nice and full on my headphones.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

cycle is great . as for mix , sounds a little pinched in the mids here , needs a little more top end sparkle and smooth out the low/low mids a bit more

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

Cycle!! It has that Truncate feel with that shaker and blips/blops. Stick to these sound and make few more like this.

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

After not replying to my own thread for so long, I'm back with both improved versions of these two tracks and some others (might as well not be greedy and make a new thread).
speen wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:06 pm
There is something about the first track that makes it seems like a very long intro without the kick ever coming. it got me a little frustrated after 2 minutes. This could be because of the unbalance between low and mid/high you mention..

the second track is really cool, just proper techno. the ix also sounds good to me, nice and full on my headphones.
The bass is quite heavy, but yeah the balance was all wrong. I think this version is a bit better.

TvSkY wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:20 am
cycle is great . as for mix , sounds a little pinched in the mids here , needs a little more top end sparkle and smooth out the low/low mids a bit more
I actually ended up even going and paying Mattias for his "mix consultation" service because I felt like this was a track where everything to make it work was there, and the decisions needed to overcome whatever I wasn't hearing would be instructive. This is the improved version. Still not perfect, but definitely better. Ended up adding another bass an octave up down in the mix, tightening envelopes on the drum samples making the bass, and doing a few other things too.

FvH wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:40 am
Cycle!! It has that Truncate feel with that shaker and blips/blops. Stick to these sound and make few more like this.
Your wish is my command

While I'm at it, here are two more I finished yesterday and today

And another from a while back. I really like the overall vibe on this one but it's so simple that it almost sounds unfinished to me. Maybe it's just me.

Amøbe wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:54 pm
looking forward to hearing it :) I have some errands this evening, so might not get back before tomorrow, but if you are up to your standards, then I'm in for a treat :)
Also thank you for this nice compliment!

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

I think you have enough quality material for an good EP. Try to send it to some labels and lets see what they will say. Would like to buy and play some of your tracks.