mervv - boundary

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
mervv
Jan : )
mervv - boundary

Post by mervv »

A track I'd like some feedback on. I was going for a particular things with the low-end, I'll share the reference for that too.

The whole thing (and the low end in particular) started out as me trying to ape this Luke Slater song. Obviously it went another direction.

youtu.be/M9aI0vwm1Vs

This track was particularly interesting to me because it's neither produced nor mixed for anything but a club setting. It sounds like trash on a phone or other small speaker, but sounds brilliant on good speakers or a club system. I've been interested in that idea for a while, making music that isn't meant to translate as well as possible to every setup/situation but instead have maximum impact in a couple specific settings. I have more thoughts about why this is interesting, but I won't pontificate.
What I made does not lean so hard into that direction, but I want to play around with that idea more.

If the dynamics of my track sound bad it very well could be because I did a rough self-master to send to some DJ friends. It sounded fairly transparent to me, but there are better ears than mine. I'm most interested in feedback on the low-end and overall mix balance.

All comments welcome!

TvSkY
Paul Gadd
Re: mervv - boundary

Post by TvSkY »

nice track! the low end is a bit boomy and out of control here on my hifi setup - focal bookshelfs , jamo sub , onkyo amp . the reference is not , low end is nice , bass notes well defined .

here is a nice vid on tightening subs with fabfilter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYYDCj ... el=Streaky

sometimes i put a 2nd band on from about 100-300 for the higher bass as well .

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

I think it sounds great, very impressed with the whole atmosphere you've created in this song.

I am not too fond of the dog bark sound (?) in the percs, and there is a LOT of reverb on all percussion which may a little bit too much - but it is really groovy altogether!

chabo
non reader

Post by chabo »

Nice one! A bit too chill for my taste but a great tune in the genre!

mervv

Post by mervv »

Thanks everyone!

TvSkY wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:05 am
nice track! the low end is a bit boomy and out of control here on my hifi setup - focal bookshelfs , jamo sub , onkyo amp . the reference is not , low end is nice , bass notes well defined .

here is a nice vid on tightening subs with fabfilter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJYYDCj ... el=Streaky

sometimes i put a 2nd band on from about 100-300 for the higher bass as well .
This is especially helpful. Seems I need to do a bit more work to get the low-end I was looking for. I appreciate the technique suggestion.

I'll post in update in this thread after I make the changes.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I like this, got a groovy energy but also a nice chill vibe at the same time.

Bass end sounds okay to me, cant really give much feedback on that.

I do agree that the reverb maybe needs something, lowering a few db, or some EQ cuts or something.... i like having reverb on all the percs, but it is a little bit too much in the foreground now i think.

But mostly I just wanted to say, nice work on this track!

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I don't have to add any technical feedback besides what has already been said - but this is a goregeous track! Lovely job!

mervv

Post by mervv »

I took note of what many people said about the bass and the reverb a while back. I tightened the envelope on the bass elements, which I think achieved the result I was going for where it's very bass-heavy but less overpowering. I also turned down the reverb on the percussion. I think I had become numb to it. In the end it sounded better anyway.

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

Great track! It has that Deepchord groove and atmosphere that I like. Nice production really. Keep it up!

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

The second mix seems to fix most of the the issues - sounds both deeper and punchier, and the high percs feel more connected to the rest of mix. Really like the mood / ambiance and the groove, good job sir !-)
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.