Planar - Slow Suffocation (Amygdala Remix)

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Evert
who is it?
Planar - Slow Suffocation (Amygdala Remix)

Post by Evert »

Hey guys,

Planar has been so kind as to let me have a go at one of his tracks and this is the result.
It was great fun working on a remix for a change.

Arrangement-wise, I feel like some parts are a bit rushed so I'm going to look into that, but feel free to point out other things if you notice.
I can only count on my headphones for producing at the moment, so I expect there will be some mixing issues.
I'm curious to know what you think.

willemb
Mild
Re: Planar - Slow Suffocation (Amygdala Remix)

Post by willemb »

Not much feedback to give, but just wanted to say this is really nice.

I somehow expected something else/more from the arrangement around 3:04, it kind of feels like it goes back to where it was rather than change/move forward. This is minor though, the atmosphere of the track far outweighs any criticism.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Not much to say about this. I'm a fan, have been for ages and this remix is spot on. It's got the dna of the original but is completely flipped into your own style. Great work.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

Thanks for the kind words guys!

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I think the click on the kick could be pulled back a couple db, it's a bit dominant right now. The mix feels slightly flat dynamics wise, sounds like sub is pushing some kind of limiter / compressor?

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

dubdub wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:30 pm
I think the click on the kick could be pulled back a couple db, it's a bit dominant right now. The mix feels slightly flat dynamics wise, sounds like sub is pushing some kind of limiter / compressor?
I've just used a compressor on the masterbuss (following Steve's guide) which has a gain reduction between 1 - 3 db.
I'll look into that and see if it sounds better after some tweaking.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Evert wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:32 pm
dubdub wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:30 pm
I've just used a compressor on the masterbuss (following Steve's guide) which has a gain reduction between 1 - 3 db.
I'll look into that and see if it sounds better after some tweaking.
Playing with the highpass on the compressor sidechain might help. Also, 3db can already be too much in many cases. Works well on some tracks and not so well on others. Steve said somewhere that he mostly aims for 0,5-1db these day. I've also been using less gain reduction lately, unless I'm delliberately looking for a pumping / compressed sound.

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

Wow i really like the melody, it flows with background instruments beautifully... Really made my night have to roll one haha! Well done guys!

On the topic of dynamic range, I work with good dynamic range meter now and watch it constantly (I dont let it go below 9db) and things are sounding better! So yeah thank you dubdub for constantly reminding us too keep the poor transients alive!
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Kick is a bit too clicky to my taste and I think not really working with the overall feel of the track. other than that nice work, really like the atmosphere, If I was mixing it I would probably shift the dominant elements, more of the melody and vibe, less drums.
No Bass Lines For Me!

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

nice track, not my taste, but well build. in contrast to others i don't mind the kick. it gives a nice drive to the track and sits just right in the mix.