Willem B - Untitled track 29

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
willemb
Mild
Willem B - Untitled track 29

Post by willemb »

Here is something I made... steady flowing deep atmospheric bass techno or something

https://soundcloud.com/willemb/029j-x2b-001/s-x6j24

juodas
Indirection
Re: Willem B - Untitled track 29

Post by juodas »

Really nice vibe and atmosphere, however that dry ssnare kills the vibe it doesn't really fit the style you're approaching it, replace or cut and you're done with this one :)

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Thanks juodas. Maybe you're right...

The snare is the first thing I put in after the kick when I was making it, so its kind of weird for me to now listen to it without it.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

willemb wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:10 pm
Thanks juodas. Maybe you're right...

The snare is the first thing I put in after the kick when I was making it, so its kind of weird for me to now listen to it without it.
I mean it's way louder than a kick, maybe it's a style of approach of some sort, but it's just doesn't feel right to me. Believe me i know how it feels like, it happens to me all the time, as soon as I upload something on soundcloud i found all mistakes in my mix, unfortunately the problem is i can't solve them out most of the time :lol:
I could listen this track without that snare ;)

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

juodas wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm
I could listen this track without that snare ;)
https://soundcloud.com/willemb/029j-x2d ... re/s-2lC0N

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I don't mind the snare too much. I think it could be nice once every 2 bars though, with a little bit of a delay flourish every 8 bars. It is way too loud though. If I turn the volume right down, the last thing I can hear is the snare, which suggests to me that it's too loud. In fact it IS too loud. At med volumes it REALLY stands out.

I really like the track, I'm not sold on the low-end though. I think this is the same as the lows in the track on the clips section. Namely there's not too much thump/ mids on the kick. It could be that I'm just not used to hearing this. I'd wait until dubdub see's if it's a problem.

I initially thought it was a bit like dvs1's pressure, but his kick had a lot more thump/ body.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

jordanneke wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:26 pm
I'd wait until dubdub see's if it's a problem.
:)

I think the midrange on the kick is fine, the click is maybe a touch too loud, it kind of pokes out of the mix a bit much. Hard to tell if the kick has enough sub on headphones, like you said, some of those DVS1 kicks sound like they have no lowend but play them on a huge rig and booooom. That said, the bass-y synths are definitely a bit too flabby and I'd mono and compress them.

The synths are a bit mono for this kind of track. I'd perhaps add a big pad towards the second half of the track, the topend feels a bit barren right now in the synth department.

And yeah, the snare is definitely too loud and I'd also turn the cowbell? down a bit.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Thanks for the helpful feedback Jordan/dubdub!

Will update soon.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Updated the audio in the original link...

I didnt add any extra pads, but made some tweaks to kick, stereo field, tried to unmuddy the bass a bit, level changes etc based on feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/willemb/029j-x2b-001/s-x6j24

Sorglos
Pig

Post by Sorglos »

Just listened to the track and wondered about the feedback given until I saw the last post. The synth parts and pads are great. Dreamy track.
The lowend sounds alright to me, nothing too exciting though

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Yeah this is nice, slow buildup with a bit of a foreboding atmosphere going on. The kick does feel a bit as if it's laying on top of the track instead of mixed on the inside if that makes any sense (at least on my phones), though that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Might be an idea to put a hipass on the drum/Porc buss during the intro or at some point for a break, as I think those sounds would take to that really well. All in all it's a well made track, ebbing and flowing along without getting boring. Nice one!
how far do you want to go

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I really like it now. Really dig it.

Thies
Pig

Post by Thies »

nice track you got there, really like the vibe of it. The kick feels a bit "wide" on my system, I'd mix it a bit more compact but i guess it also works this way. The drums could be a bit more crunchy/more present for my taste.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

This is really nice. I like how the pad progresses as the track goes on- I'm totally gonna steal that idea ;). The only thing I'm not sure about is the sound you've used for the hats, they're a bit too "tonal" for me for want of a better way to describe it.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Thanks for the feedback all.

Thies: hmmmmm crunchy drums, I might try that. I think it would be a totally different tune, but not a bad idea at all.

Planar: tea leaf! and I take it you mean the upbeat hat?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Maybe it's not a hat- it's percussion you hear from the very start of the track like a ticky ticky kind of thing. It's just my personal taste, there's nothing wrong with it.

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Lovely track mate. Really like how understated it is, minimal in a good way. Mix is not compressed at all too, really refreshing, allows everything to breathe and is a pleasure to listen to.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Cloaked wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 pm
Lovely track mate. Really like how understated it is, minimal in a good way. Mix is not compressed at all too, really refreshing, allows everything to breathe and is a pleasure to listen to.
Agree totally. Put this in my headphones while at work this morning and it just drifted in and played out without any big issues to my ears. Well put together. Great work.

calum666
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by calum666 »

Great track and idea. I like the kick sound but i would prefer a bit more attack / snap on it. Thats just personal preference though I think.