Sean Ocean - pt 51 MEV

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
seanocean
Jan : )
Sean Ocean - pt 51 MEV

Post by seanocean »

This is a track i've come up with after working on it for several months in 2020. Big elements in play, Machine Drum, TR8 through a Sherman Filterbank, some analog four, outboard compression, etc. This was released as my first solo EP in january on a local label, but it doesn't have as much traction as i would have liked. It's good but it's not the techno I hear around.. maybe too me or too progressive, not enough sound design, -?

feel free to tear it apart, i am my own worst critic so feel free to lay into it with your opinions and what i could do to make it better.

| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

illit_
Gazza
Re: Sean Ocean - pt 51 MEV

Post by illit_ »

Yeah nice, I like it. Suits the tempo you set, perhaps a little slim on the energy side it's got pace but it struggles to up the ante as the track goes on, sounds more like a clip from a live set than a tune in itself. Good work though, I like the stereo low end and that flute drone works well! Good job

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I think it sounds great - it is super groovy (don't have anything bad to say)

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

hanks i'm thinking it might not fit in well in a current techno set. and i'm not sure what to do about it. i've been doing a lot of multitracking, maybe i ill work on shorter loops with longer evolutions.. that seems to be the thing.
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

To me it feels a lot housier than techno. I really like the vibe and groove, and keep hearing an organ, maybe a vocal snippet. Like illit_ said, sounds like a nice groove in a live set, where you mix in another track to make it bang. I'd shuffle my feet to that.
What's a "current techno set" anyway? The genre has become so diverse...
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

yep, I'd second what's been set. I like the vibe and I cloud imagine a festival crowd having a lot of open air fun with this. Some drive is missing, when having such repetetive groovy stuff it need to kick my ass, I think. Dunno, but I have to think of Jennifer Cardini sets, where she mostly plays slow stuff but everything has that energy that builds a lot of pressure on the dancefloor over time. You don't have to care about your tracks fitting into sets, a good DJ will find it's soul and make it fit.
:geek:

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Bass could probably use a touch of boosting below 50hz or so. Percussion is slightly bright. That main stabby synth could have a bit more meat in the lower mids.

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

I think it's dope
The sounds are really bright (in a good way) and open, nicely done.

What I would have liked to hear is a driving bassline, but that's a personal choice of course. Also there is a funky 'hmmm'-sample that I think could have been louder to add to the groove.