Matt Deegan - Lost

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Dattington
Alf Garnett
Matt Deegan - Lost

Post by Dattington »

First track i've managed to do in a while.

Moved back to London which has meant i'm writing on a laptop and headphones which is not ideal so i'll be booking studio time soon to properly mix this down (and no doubt learn loads while doing so!).

Feedback most welcome, cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/mattdeegan/matt- ... st/s-eBEF5
Previews and clips are in the playlist below:

TechnoDude
pregnant
Re: Matt Deegan - Lost

Post by TechnoDude »

Just a little bit too generic for my liking. I'm probably looking for some sounds or arrangement that I've not heard before.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

The mix sounds alright here, no real major issues I think. Like that solid kick. Some little Porc sound hidden underneath your hihats right from the start is bugging me a little, might be the way it combines with the attack of your hats or something. Not really a fan of that didgeridoo-ish bass, it's got a little bit of a start-stop feel to it like that, preventing the track from flowing somewhat. Maybe a filter envelope on it could help there/barring replacing it altogether.

Kind of expected the vocals to have some automated reverb/delay, I think it would make for more interesting transitions. The arps coming in later sounds like it could use some additional variations, sounds a bit plain as it is.

It's a decent track, could just use a couple of changes imo.
how far do you want to go

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

The track sounds pretty solid to me, the only thing I didn't like too much was that arp at the end which kind of killed the vibe for me, also bass could use a little boost maybe ?

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

The arp is way too buried in the mix. (This happens to me often with headphones, you don't put the melodic elements loud enough because they're easier to hear on headphones than on speakers. Once you know it you can correct it though, just have the melodic stuff a bit louder than you think is reasonable and the drums a little quieter, then it's probably about right. Also, bright hats with a lot of topend transient information stand out way more on speakers, so it's a good idea to mix them a tad bit quieter on headphones)

The mix is also totally lacking midrange, there's just the kick and the hats and arps, which both sit pretty high.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

The arp synth could indeed do with a bit more weight., but I have to say your skills have definitely come on a lot since you have been posting here,

Well done.

I did find the arrangement a touch boring if i'm completely honest, and it's only a six minute track. With the break so early, once the drop comes, there's nothing else to be added, and I tuned out.

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, really appreciate it- I'll keep working!

It's the arrangement I really struggle with. I am seriously considering giving ableton a go as I feel a bit.. constrained with logic.
Previews and clips are in the playlist below: