Unprobed depths

List links to Live sets and Mixes
Prophän
Back Bling
Unprobed depths

Post by Prophän »

Here is a set I tried to make as mental as possible while managing to keep it quite dancefloor friendly (probably will be mostly people looking down) , in preparation for an upcoming gig, tell me what would you think about this in a club context.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: Unprobed depths

Post by over9000 »

yo i think its too repetetive and ambienty for a club set. although this can work, if people really get into it. and that detroit track near the end is a bit out of context, but maybe thats just me & detroit
but id try to add some breakups, like tracks with big breaks that build energy. then some real bangers, that really go forward, without pads or ambienty stuff. then break up again, build up again, bang again. then a really catchy more melodic track at the end so people will remeber you, then some outro smoothness
mixing is flawless, but i think on the selection you could improve. Its good to have all kinds of rhythms/grooves in a set. it happens to me alot that i play tracks that have the same arpeggio kinda drive to them. also a critique that i received alot when i played more deep techno/ ambient style, is that people miss the drive, or bang in a club context.
hope you can do something out of this wall of text.
tl;dr :D

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Oh you're talking about that dax j track, babylon I think , actually this kind of set will come right after my friend's set, and he will be playing some dubby ambient techno (artefakt, acronym and such) so I think this kind of sounds would be the right transition to the next dj who will play some industrial craziness and weirdness.

However I agree that I should play more with the build up, bang rule, and the melodic track at the end is a good idea too, I forgot to mention it will be my first gig, so I'm not yet too much into the mood , and only been playing for friends until now.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

it will be amazing mate!
id prepare the first, lets say 10 transitions and have a rough idea of what you want to play afterwards, and just let it flow.
heres some good ambient/deep techno, thats banging nontheless:
https://informarecords.bandcamp.com/alb ... informa010
https://www.discogs.com/Perm-Jets/release/10157461
to have a transition from deep to more industrial style, the new kangdingray stuff is pretty good.
and this tensal ep
https://www.beatport.com/release/proton-decay/2023456
and this is super cool for a beeing kept in memory track, i used it in my latest mix:
youtu.be/dVyJcxY9Oe4

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Appreciate the references even if I think I might play more "drive" techno at first, thinking essentially about cleric, rebekah, planetary assault system..., I think that I might plan the whole set in advances and allow myself to make minor changes during the performance , the problem is that I've agreed with the next dj to not go over 132 bpm and I really want to play I hate models - shades of night as a last track but it's 135-136 I think so it will not sound as good as it's intended.

Also, first time using cdjs, I only know traktor but been practicing the last weeks with not using the sync button, the grid, and the phrase meter, and as far as it goes I manage to do it fairly decently

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

in my oppinion you can pitch a track 4 bpm up or down without it starting to sound strange, even 5 or 6 bpm works well on most tracks, especially with techno tracks. Traktor has a bad engine for pitching imo, it colours the sound heavily.
ah and cdjs are much better then traktor, much more flow! if you can practice a bit on the cdjs in advance as well, that would help you alot id say. especially finding cue points quickly, as you have to re do it everytime again, not like in traktor. record your set, would be happy to hear it mate :)

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Well I read you can still set up cue points with rekordbox, I will try to record the set for sure, audio and video too maybe or at least some part of it, thank you dude :wink: