My software recommend of the year.

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: My software recommend of the year.

Post by Lost to the Void »

Me and my best mate set up an agreement between us that we still hold from our teens.
It`s his idea, but my fault.

So I`m generally ok with things being my fault.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:Me and my best mate set up an agreement between us that we still hold from our teens.
It`s his idea, but my fault.

So I`m generally ok with things being my fault.
:lol:
gotta remember that one.

whenever I have some social shit to do,
I love to walk into a crowd and say with a straight face :
"look, there's a few rules you gotta know about me :
1. I'm always right
2. I always have good idea's
and the ground rule for any new rule I might come up with in the future is that I'm always modest"

then I know that whoever is stupid enough to take this dumb shit serious, is just a total wanker without a proper sense of humour,
and I'll never waste any more time with him/her.
It's rather amazing how many people really take you serious with that.
Says a lot about our current ego-centric society...

I could also just walk in and say
"look, who's up for a man-train ?"
but that's unfortunately less socially accepted... :|
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Bought Disto from SKNote yesterday, it`s also very very good.
This guy has a fundamental understanding of compressors.

Makes me wonder why companies like Waves have got it wrong for so long?
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Just finished mixing a tune through the Disto
http://www.sknote.it/Disto.htm

made the tune from the beginning with the Disto on the 2buss, and mixed in to it.

Took the disto off, before recording the track, just to hear it without to see the final difference. Tune sucked balls without it, was dead, groove disappeared.

Another insanely good plugin. 20 quid!!!! I can`t think of many plugins that perform this well for hundreds of quid.
New Shit

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Been meaning to post back into this thread as I saw it last week, I don't own SDC but was going to mention I'd got Disto a couple of weeks back and it is seriously good! I try to keep my tools limited and my compressor plugins are MJUC and Disto, might have to give SDC a pop as well though, sounds like it'd be well worth it, plus it's nice to be supporting the guys selling plugins this good for such good prices!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Picked up Disto as well now (ffs, stop this Steve). Just spent a little time comparing it, SDC and The Glue on a 2 buss for a work in progress I've started. I think both the Sknote plugins sound better than the Glue, but there's a fairly big hit on CPU in comparison. I especially like Disto and some of the distortion you can get from driving the internal gain stage.

The only problem is which I'd choose at any particular moment really.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The glue is great, but surprisingly transparent.
Transparent is not really what I want except in mastering.
New Shit

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:The glue is great, but surprisingly transparent.
I know there are lots of threads about compression on the forum so please excuse me for being an ignorant twat, but what do you mean by transparent?
I'm afraid that I am still learning compression and to my untrained ear 'the glue' sounds just the same as 'disto'.
FUCK-WIT

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Lost to the Void wrote:Just finished mixing a tune through the Disto
http://www.sknote.it/Disto.htm

made the tune from the beginning with the Disto on the 2buss, and mixed in to it.

Took the disto off, before recording the track, just to hear it without to see the final difference. Tune sucked balls without it, was dead, groove disappeared.

Another insanely good plugin. 20 quid!!!! I can`t think of many plugins that perform this well for hundreds of quid.
What settings did you start with on the 2buss? it's really easy to go crazy on it (which also sounds good).
No Bass Lines For Me!

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

has anyone else had trouble logging in to their SKnote account?
all I keep getting is an Error 500 page?

what the fuck man, i want to download my products that I paid 40 quid for.

emailed the guy but no reply??
FUCK-WIT

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

No problems here.
Remember it`s just one guy, so he might not email back immediately.
New Shit

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Lost to the Void wrote:http://www.sknote.it/Disto.htm
Writing this down on my shopping list too.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Is there any new limiters thats good? I would like to try something else than Ableton stock limiter. Any recommendations?

Edit: Old recommendations is good too.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

From the website

Closed!
Find us at 139th AES Convention in New York - Booth 838
Products in the webshop are immediately available. Other software products will be delivered after nov 3rd.
Online assistance is still active but probably slower.
New Shit

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:No problems here.
Remember it`s just one guy, so he might not email back immediately.
It was me being a cunt, he had replied, it was in my Spam folder. All good now.
I can't wait to load SDC onto a drum buss and see what it can do.
FUCK-WIT

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Pelecaras wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:The glue is great, but surprisingly transparent.
I know there are lots of threads about compression on the forum so please excuse me for being an ignorant twat, but what do you mean by transparent?
I'm afraid that I am still learning compression and to my untrained ear 'the glue' sounds just the same as 'disto'.

Wow, they are so different. It might just be the settis you are using, but they are like apples and oranges.

If you wack them both over a beat, set the attack to its minimal setting, ratio to maximum, pull the threshold down until you are getting like 8db of gain reduction, then tune the release so the reduction swings with the beat, do the same of both compressors, you'll definitely here a big difference. The glue will pump, but it will be linear, cleanish, and the sound will not change too much.

disto will swing and pump in a less linear way, you can really hear it grabbing the beat and pulling it back, and the tone gets really gritty quickly.

Then on the same settings, slowly dial the attack back so the transients emerge. The glue, the transients will sort of naturally appear, disto the transients will really thwack in and snap.

Disto is more musical but far far less transparent.
New Shit

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wow, they are so different. It might just be the settis you are using, but they are like apples and oranges.

If you wack them both over a beat, set the attack to its minimal setting, ratio to maximum, pull the threshold down until you are getting like 8db of gain reduction, then tune the release so the reduction swings with the beat, do the same of both compressors, you'll definitely here a big difference. The glue will pump, but it will be linear, cleanish, and the sound will not change too much.

disto will swing and pump in a less linear way, you can really hear it grabbing the beat and pulling it back, and the tone gets really gritty quickly.

Then on the same settings, slowly dial the attack back so the transients emerge. The glue, the transients will sort of naturally appear, disto the transients will really thwack in and snap.

Thanks for the advice Steve, like I say, I'm still learning compression so to have someone with your experience explain it in an understandable way is great.
I will fire up cubase and give it a go.
FUCK-WIT

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Pelecaras wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Thanks for the advice Steve, like I say, I'm still learning compression so to have someone with your experience explain it in an understandable way is great.
I will fire up cubase and give it a go.
If you end up not getting anywhere, let me know and I`ll throw up a little more comprehensive comparison
New Shit

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:
If you end up not getting anywhere, let me know and I`ll throw up a little more comprehensive comparison
Thanks so much mate,
I been real busy with work but will let you know how I get on when I've followed your tips.
FUCK-WIT

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Lost to the Void wrote:

Just thought I'd let you know how I got on with following your tips....what can I say, I've been trying to learn compression for months and with a few instructions from a clearly talented and experienced engineer I now understand what compression can do to a groove, beat, sound ect.

Thanks ever so much mate.
FUCK-WIT