Live 11.3 and new Push

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
Amøbe
Moderate
Live 11.3 and new Push

Post by Amøbe »

So Live just updated to version 11.3, which includes the new Drift synth (that can do some very nice things routing wise), but most spectacularly is probably that they launched their new Push controller, which this time also comes in a standalone version. It goes all in on MPE, which seems to be great for expressive playing - at the moment I'm not in a hurry to switch out my Push 2, but I do find it intriguing and generally an exciting approach to what a DAW should be able to do.

youtu.be/qcGUgp6yo_k

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Live 11.3 and new Push

Post by Lost to the Void »

I was interested in this until I investigated.
I actually think it's a joke.

Pretty poor spec.
No midi OTB. You have to buy adaptors at extra cost.
No arrangement view.
Closed environment and NO max for live OTB. Have to pay extra.
Comes with lowest tier of ableton, live Intro.
You need to pay extra for standard or live suite.
So £1700 for the standalone unit.
Then £400 for decent version of ableton to make standalone actually decent.

😂🤣😂🤣😂
I have an Akai force. It's ableton compatable and everything comes with it. You don't pay for different levels of operating system. It's already got everything.

Ableton can fuck off.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

I think I will like Drift a lot - it's simple but enough under the hood to make it interesting and versatile

Push, yeah fuck that.. it's just too expensive.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 2:13 pm
I was interested in this until I investigated.
I actually think it's a joke.

Pretty poor spec.
No midi OTB. You have to buy adaptors at extra cost.
No arrangement view.
Closed environment and NO max for live OTB. Have to pay extra.
Comes with lowest tier of ableton, live Intro.
You need to pay extra for standard or live suite.
So £1700 for the standalone unit.
Then £400 for decent version of ableton to make standalone actually decent.

😂🤣😂🤣😂
I have an Akai force. It's ableton compatable and everything comes with it. You don't pay for different levels of operating system. It's already got everything.

Ableton can fuck off.
Feedback online has been really positive across the board for the standalone. Seems like people love anything "DAWless" lol. Seems very gimmicky to me.

I don't think the non-standalone version is bad value considering what you get. Good MPE controllers are all pretty expensive and Push is a really well made controller across the board and the integration with Live is great. I'm not that much of a player so I'm good with Push2 though. Considering lots of people are gonna dump their Push2's, a used 2 is going to be a great deal.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

dubdub wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 8:17 am

I don't think the non-standalone version is bad value considering what you get. Good MPE controllers are all pretty expensive and Push is a really well made controller across the board and the integration with Live is great. I'm not that much of a player so I'm good with Push2 though. Considering lots of people are gonna dump their Push2's, a used 2 is going to be a great deal.
That's exactly how I feel - the biggest annoyance for me (in regards to the standalone) is that it can't run 3rd party plugins. But I do find it intriguing this idea of moving the DAW out of the computer, and make it more of an instrument (but just like you said - I rarely play melodies and stuff that much)

I don't know enough about music tech to say whether this is too expensive or if it is just a lot of money (sometimes stuff cost a lot of money), but it is a lot of money!

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

yeah agree its just marketing bs for the new dawless trend
and i dont think it will ever be sufficently good standalone. atleast not to what i want from ableton, i like it to be comprehensive and that i can do complicated stuff with it that i cant with hardware. Thats the point of a DAW imo.
If you dont want a daw,you can get a good sampler/mpc or a big mixer and sync devices and lots of gear.
either way its all about spending a shitload of money it seems
i always ask myself whos all buying this stuff, where do the people have all that money from (iam not jealous at all no :D)
its a fucking hipster circus

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

laptops with the same specs as push3 (i3, 8 Gb ram, 256 Gb HD) are between 500 and 600€. The Abes charge almost double, with only Live light installed... I've had my Push1 for almost 10 years now. Still working, but it's not looking pretty anymore, and I never liked the pads for playing (compared to my Korg padKontrol, it's like playing guitar with barbed wire strings).
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

borg wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:55 pm
laptops with the same specs as push3 (i3, 8 Gb ram, 256 Gb HD) are between 500 and 600€. The Abes charge almost double, with only Live light installed... I've had my Push1 for almost 10 years now. Still working, but it's not looking pretty anymore, and I never liked the pads for playing (compared to my Korg padKontrol, it's like playing guitar with barbed wire strings).
Bit late to the party, but I don't think it can compare apart from as a computing device to a laptop. Having the buttons, knobs, IO as a dedicated device would have cost a lot of money to design and build. If you think of it as an Intel NUC, with a push controller and an audio interface it starts to look more reasonable.

But I can't get over the fact that they don't include the full Ableton with it - I mean it would cost them zero to a few euros to include that, and a lot of people buying this would have already had the full suite.