Bitwig

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
timc3
Back Bling
Bitwig

Post by timc3 »

Think there is more than a couple of Bitwig people here, but this is interesting anyway:

https://www.bitwig.com/stories/to-our-c ... jYSokY5p-E

The short version is that Bitwig decided to release paid for plugins, which you would pay for in addition to the initial purchase price, plus yearly subscription (which can end up being quite expensive compare to Ableton or other DAWs). They also changed the EULA without notice. Anyway a lot of the Bitwig users got pissed off, quite vocally, the YouTubers who usually cover Bitwig said that they would stop featuring Bitwig and there was a bit of a shitstorm aimed at Bitwig and a lot of people said that they would stop automatically purchasing the subscription yearly. So they decided to turn around and offer the plugins for free.

Amøbe
Moderate
Re: Bitwig

Post by Amøbe »

Good to hear that they turned around, at first I thought it was a bunch of people overreacting, but then when I read up on what was going on, it was clearly a shitty move from Bitwig.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

timc3 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:31 pm
Think there is more than a couple of Bitwig people here, but this is interesting anyway:

https://www.bitwig.com/stories/to-our-c ... jYSokY5p-E

The short version is that Bitwig decided to release paid for plugins, which you would pay for in addition to the initial purchase price, plus yearly subscription (which can end up being quite expensive compare to Ableton or other DAWs). They also changed the EULA without notice. Anyway a lot of the Bitwig users got pissed off, quite vocally, the YouTubers who usually cover Bitwig said that they would stop featuring Bitwig and there was a bit of a shitstorm aimed at Bitwig and a lot of people said that they would stop automatically purchasing the subscription yearly. So they decided to turn around and offer the plugins for free.
So they didn`t scrap the subscription though, still a yearly update fee.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

Yes but the Updates ARE Bitwig Plugins too ... new FX and Synths were always the Main Reason for the Update Subscription and now they wanted Extra Money for the Plugins (Excluded from the Subscription, atleast for these Specific Units) ... but good that they see their failure in that Logic!

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

Aside from the shitty subscription model I like Bitwig.

After two days of testing I think that I will be using it, I find that my attention is more focused on one area of the screen and I must say that their devices are amazing, polysynth sounds insanely good. Also arrangement view and clips are all on one screen and that helps me just from psychological point of view. Ableton mentally damaged my brain, when I switch to arrangement view I I see red blood and fear...
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I don't mind paying the subscription as I want to support their development and success, and every year there are real improvements that I like. It does make it more expensive than most DAWs in the end, but I will continue paying - that was going to change if kept paid plugins on-top of Bitwig.

Maybe if they had released the plugins as VST or CLAP I would have thought a bit differently.

I like most of the internal FX but be aware if you are using EQ+ it introduces 5 samples of latency and it's not compensated (there are ways around this).

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

50% of Bitwig at the moment because they are celebrating their 10 year anniversary: https://www.bitwig.com/buy/