Mimicking automation touch mode in Live

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
zhluq
Interact. Don't Spam.
Mimicking automation touch mode in Live

Post by zhluq »

I just figured out this neat trick in Live so I figured I'd share.

As you probably know, the way Live records automation in Arrangement view is by overwriting the envelope, which is essentially like using the "latch" mode in Logic. But what if instead you want to record a performance that includes both the previously recorded automation and values dialed in on the fly (i.e. the equivalent of "touch" mode)?

This assumes that you already have a few clips either ready with automation in Session view or laid out in Arrangement view with some automation, and a corresponding MIDI mapping from a controller of your choice. In this example I'm using CC 27 from my USB controller on an effect's Dry/Wet fader.

Set up a virtual MIDI track (IAC Bus or loopMIDI). Under MIDI routing, you want to set the input of that port to Remote, and its output to Track.

If starting from Arrangement view, make sure the Lock Envelopes button is disabled, or the automation will not be copied.
Copy the section whose automation you want to preserve as a clip into the Session view (highlight+drag) in the same track it came from (now referred to as Track 1).

Then create an empty MIDI track (Track 2) whose output is that same virtual MIDI port you chose earlier. Its output channel should be the same as the MIDI mapped parameter.
Copy the clip from Track 1 into Track 2. If the original clip included notes, get rid of those. Normally it shouldn't have any envelopes left, since Track 2 has no devices on it. This is just to make sure clip duration remains the same.

In the clip created on Track 1, find the envelope you want, and copy it to the clipboard (it has to be selected first).
Now switch to the clip on Track 2, select the proper MIDI CC (the same that's mapped to the parameter you're automating, in my case CC 27), and paste the envelope in.
You can now go back to Track 1 and delete all automation, and use Track 2 instead. No need to even arm Track 1.

This may sound kind of insane, but it's useful when recording a live performance where you want some sort of automation structure you can go in and out of. You can even go crazy and map another external CC to Track 2's mute/unmute button.

It's kind of stupid that Live doesn't have a touch mode by default, but that's the only workaround I could find.
The Re-enable Automation button doesn't work when you're recording, as I found out while preparing my last gig!