Ollo S4X Reference Headphones

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Ollo S4X Reference Headphones

Post by Lost to the Void »

I`ve spoken to the guys at Ollo on and off since they started their headphone company, and was interested in their phones, but it took a few iterations before I became interested enough to test a pair.

The claim is reference quality headphones, and at the price they offer, it is quite a claim.

I took delivery of a pair today, this is not a sponsored deal, I paid my own money and have 1 month money back assessment period.

As most probably know here, I`m big on producing in headphones for the total immersion you get.

I`m going to spend a month doing A/B in the mastering room to compare these to my reference system, and during that time I will also be using them in the production room to see how they perform for mixing, and how those mixes translate to the mastering room. I also have K701`s in the mastering room, so I`ll be doing a comparison with them, as well as the Etymotic ER4XR which are the headphones from the production room.
I`ll come back here and give my findings at the end of the period.

I have nothing more conclusive to say right now other than the representation of low end distortion is very accurate, these are very very clean in the lows....So far.

Here is the info on Ollo, Slovenia
https://olloaudio.com/products/s4x-reference-headphones

€327,05 for the S4X
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Belka
Wastedddd
Re: Ollo S4X Reference Headphones

Post by Belka »

Do you use Sonarworks, CanOpener or Realphones too? I Downloaded the Curve Comparison of the Oppo and they compare pretty good to other HP on Paper. For me and my SRH840 Shure, never ever without Sonarworks, but when i heared the DT990 of my Pal i wasnt really satisfied with Sonarworks on and prefered them without it.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Belka wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:37 am
Do you use Sonarworks, CanOpener or Realphones too? I Downloaded the Curve Comparison of the Oppo and they compare pretty good to other HP on Paper. For me and my SRH840 Shure, never ever without Sonarworks, but when i heared the DT990 of my Pal i wasnt really satisfied with Sonarworks on and prefered them without it.
I've stopped using all headphone adjustment things. They were obfuscating more than helping.
The best I found was canopener, but I started to realise that was doing something to transients that was showing up in the mastering room. So I just use raw.
Every set of S4X comes with its own signed off measurement and serial. If you go to the website and e ter that serial they will send you the settings you can put into an EQ to correct for those specific phones.
I'm more of the mind of just learning them as they are.
New Shit

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:43 pm
I've stopped using all headphone adjustment things. They were obfuscating more than helping.
The best I found was canopener, but I started to realise that was doing something to transients that was showing up in the mastering room. So I just use raw.
Every set of S4X comes with its own signed off measurement and serial. If you go to the website and e ter that serial they will send you the settings you can put into an EQ to correct for those specific phones.
I use canopener, so I'm curious what you mean. Do you mean that it was disrupting your ability to make informed decisions about transients when monitoring through it, or that it was still affecting the sound even when you turned the plugin off (when exporting)? Or were you leaving it on the master channel when you exported?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

mervv wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:26 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
I use canopener, so I'm curious what you mean. Do you mean that it was disrupting your ability to make informed decisions about transients when monitoring through it, or that it was still affecting the sound even when you turned the plugin off (when exporting)? Or were you leaving it on the master channel when you exported?
It was doing something to short and medium transients that were making low mid/high bass transients difficult to assess accurately. I came to 2 conclusion after going back and forth to the mastering room.
It was either an issue with my headphones (Etymotic ER4XR) or it was the plug in. The problem was far less noticeable without the plug in.
Since trying the S4X it's definitely the plugin.

I could go back to a more simple crossfeed plugin like redline monitor I suppose.

But I'm finding I just do better mixes without any headphone correction at all. So far they seem to fix one problem but add another.
New Shit

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Belka wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:37 am
Same. At some point it's easier just to know what your cans are good/not good at.

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:57 pm
mervv wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:26 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
It was doing something to short and medium transients that were making low mid/high bass transients difficult to assess accurately. I came to 2 conclusion after going back and forth to the mastering room.
It was either an issue with my headphones (Etymotic ER4XR) or it was the plug in. The problem was far less noticeable without the plug in.
Since trying the S4X it's definitely the plugin.

I could go back to a more simple crossfeed plugin like redline monitor I suppose.

But I'm finding I just do better mixes without any headphone correction at all. So far they seem to fix one problem but add another.
For me Sonarworks has been a great help on my 990s. Before them I struggled to actually hear accurately how headphones/monitors/rooms coloured the sound. Now I have a rough audio image for what "flat" is. It has helped me learn and I'm used to it now so won't be changing it anytime soon.

Very interested in hearing your thoughts on the S4X, next set of cans I get I'll be using without Sonarworks.

Never tried can opener, would it be worth it from an educational stand point?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

If Sonar works would accept room EQ wizard filters then you would be able to upload your individual S4X measurements and Sonar works would work specifically to your headphones. Which would be interesting.
I've been producing on these things daily and I'm not feeling any desire to correct them yet, they are translating very well. Testing them in the mastering room today.

Canopener.... It doesn't do any frequency correction it just gives you a very natural sounding stereo image. I just feel that whatever they have done to generate that spectral form of crossfeed, has created some issues that...... alter transient perception in an area that is quite crucial.
I was happy for ages but started noticing this monitoring discrepancy in the low mids. It was conflicting with my monitoring in the production room, I run a 4 way system, so my low mids are very accurate. And this issue of masking low mid transients was showing up on the monitors.

I would try it for sure if you can get a demo. It might work for you.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well first full day in the mastering room with these.
So far the A/B to my mastering mains is impressive. The balance is very similar. Obviously there is the lack of physically moving air in the low end that you don`t get on headphones, and when mastering low end you assess the audio in what you hear AND what you physically feel.
But, the low end is tight and accurate, and holds up well to dense, compressed bass heavy music, no detail is getting lost in the mids from the drivers not coping with extremes. You are still getting a good representation of weight and punch in the lows. Clarity and detail in the mids and top end is really nice, I don`t feel I`m losing any detail.

Still early days, but these things might well become my main cans.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ok, I`ve had long enough with these to decide if I want to keep them or return them in the 30 day no questions asked money back.

I`m keeping them. I`m always on a quest for giant killers, gear that performs way above it`s price/point competition. My production monitors, my mastering monitors, the trusty AKG 701`s. All these did this.

And now the Ollo S4X. These are great headphones. I thoroughly recommend them, in fact I like them so much I`ve written to Ollo about endorsing them. 350 quid roughly, they outperform everything I have tried in their price range.
Tight transients, clean clear sound, nice and deep, crisp and airy, and most importantly if you are putting dense, compressed, full range music through them, unlike a lot of headphones, they retain snappyness and don`t distort in the low mids when pushed.
Comfortable, modular, parts can be replaced, and they are designed to be easy to work on.
I`m making really good mixes on them, my production has possibly stepped up a notch, and I`m making really difficult music right now with lots of challenging issues to get a tight mix.
I also don`t find it necessary to adjust them, EQ wise. They are flat enough where just spending time with them to learn them will do you well.

So for what it is worth, if you are looking for good headphones and can afford that price bracket, especially if working in headphones is your preference or a necessity, I strongly recommend these. And with a 30 day return policy, they are worth a try.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:52 pm
Ok, I`ve had long enough with these to decide if I want to keep them or return them in the 30 day no questions asked money back.
Would you consider these strictly an upgrade on the 701s or more of an alternative/sidegrade? I know those really well by now and would prefer to keep working with them. But, given my circumstances, im comitted to working purely on headphones and interested in the best solution I can afford (e.g. not Audezes) and 400 euros is just about my upper pricelimit...

FYI, I also have a pair of Senn 650s I've had since forever, but I find the AKGs tighter and clearer for production and mixing.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

dubdub wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:41 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Would you consider these strictly an upgrade on the 701s or more of an alternative/sidegrade? I know those really well by now and would prefer to keep working with them. But, given my circumstances, im comitted to working purely on headphones and interested in the best solution I can afford (e.g. not Audezes) and 400 euros is just about my upper pricelimit...

FYI, I also have a pair of Senn 650s I've had since forever, but I find the AKGs tighter and clearer for production and mixing.
These are like 701`s in HD. Bottom end is much more filled out, but clean. Sometimes I get an illusion of feeling the bass with them, which is impressive as it is clearly tricking my brain.
I suppose they are like an upgraded 701 with bass extension, everything is slightly cleaner, tighter, fuller. Really well made too, solid construction. They translate more closely to my mastering setup than the 701`s.
New Shit

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

would you have an opinion on how they fare compared to an Audeze LCD-X?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

buffered wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:10 am
I mean, that`s an odd comparison, the Audeze are 3 times the price.

I only got to try them for a week, but I didn`t end up purchasing/keeping them. They don`t perform at the level I would expect at that price range, the mid-highs/low tops were not right for me, bass was tight and very accurate though, I think the OPPO PM-3 were better and they cost around the same price as the OLLO S4X (they don`t make them any more though, and they are closed back).
New Shit

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:52 pm
buffered wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:10 am
I mean, that`s an odd comparison, the Audeze are 3 times the price.

I only got to try them for a week, but I didn`t end up purchasing/keeping them. They don`t perform at the level I would expect at that price range, the mid-highs/low tops were not right for me, bass was tight and very accurate though, I think the OPPO PM-3 were better and they cost around the same price as the OLLO S4X (they don`t make them any more though, and they are closed back).
Yeah i don't think it is such an odd comparison. Both are directed to the same market if you ignore the price tag. The LCDX is sort of the entry point into the modern higher end of reference in my opinion so using this as a yardstick to measure ollo price vs performance standing.
But yeah agree, the LCDX have weird mids. Like a veil or something. If this was less noticeable, they would be amazing. Talk on the ollo is that they are surprisingly flat....for the price. But to be honest, I think price is becoming less and less relevant in this field. Some true giant killers out there for reasonable prices.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:18 pm
dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

These are like 701`s in HD. Bottom end is much more filled out, but clean. Sometimes I get an illusion of feeling the bass with them, which is impressive as it is clearly tricking my brain.
I suppose they are like an upgraded 701 with bass extension, everything is slightly cleaner, tighter, fuller. Really well made too, solid construction. They translate more closely to my mastering setup than the 701`s.
Interesting... I'll give them a try when/if I can scrape together the cash.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:18 pm
dubdub wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

That's an intriguing prospect for me. I love the soundstage and clarity of my 702s but the understated low end makes them difficult to rely on by themselves. I've switched to Beyerdynamic DT-770s as my main pair - they are a much more accurate representation of monitors IMO. But they lack that clarity and soundstage. So a pair of cans that does both would be the best of both worlds.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

You definitely got me interested Voidloss! I love the K701's but I switch often between them and super bassy DJ phones. It's a bit difficult to "vibe" with the K701's, as great as they are for money. Arranging I find especially difficult on them, as you don't really "feel" it when the kick goes on or off for example. You hear it clearly of course, but it can be difficult to feel it emotionally, approximate how it would feel like in a club setting.

So, a better version of the K701's with extended bass, for not a crazy amount of money, sounds like a dream come true!
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Barfunkel wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:34 am
You definitely got me interested Voidloss! I love the K701's but I switch often between them and super bassy DJ phones. It's a bit difficult to "vibe" with the K701's, as great as they are for money. Arranging I find especially difficult on them, as you don't really "feel" it when the kick goes on or off for example. You hear it clearly of course, but it can be difficult to feel it emotionally, approximate how it would feel like in a club setting.

So, a better version of the K701's with extended bass, for not a crazy amount of money, sounds like a dream come true!
They genuinely are fantastic, I`m using them all the time, for the very first time I wrote to the company to ask about becoming an official supporter as I like them so much.
They wrote back and wanted an interview and all kinds of stuff about promotion and.... Well, I just wanted to endorse the product, not get involved with money and contracts so I just said no thanks, I`ll be recommending the product anyway.

My beloved Etymotic ER4XR are gathering dust now.
New Shit

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

they just look really bad.