Pedals

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
Ben Kohonays
Quaint
Re: Pedals

Post by Ben Kohonays »

gedda wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:59 pm
Anyone here have any recommendations for ring mod pedals?
Something worth noting is that most ring mod pedals only have a single input, so you're stuck with the in-built carrier signal. That may or may not be important to you, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I've been looking at the Boss HM-2 recently and was close to getting one. Then I heard the behringer HM300. The price difference is huge but the sound isn't really that different at all.

For £25 new its hard to resist.

youtu.be/0mUYiCaj8zw
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Behringer will be the death of us all! (j/king)

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

How good are tape delay pedals? My first priority is to slap my 909 BDs into them for saturation. Basically, I want to dial my input knob as high as possible for nice saturation. Tape delay pedals are just meant for dealys though right? Do any pedals do what I want to do?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

gedda wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 am
How good are tape delay pedals? My first priority is to slap my 909 BDs into them for saturation. Basically, I want to dial my input knob as high as possible for nice saturation. Tape delay pedals are just meant for dealys though right? Do any pedals do what I want to do?
Your best bet for pedal based tape saturation is either Strymon Deco or a TC Electronic Alter Ego (I have the Alter Ego X4). With the TC electronic you can download toneprints and can grab tape sat and grit, and just not use the delay. Works pretty well. Neither are particularly cheap options. The Strymon is cheaper new, but more of a one trick pony.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The_G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:34 pm
Just read this: https://www.engadget.com/mod-dwarf-virt ... 16240.html
Duo X is on my purchase list. Not in a hurry though, I`ve not even started taking PA bookings yet as I still don`t really have a finished PA.
New Shit

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Just ordered this bad boy: youtu.be/nKywQ_j_cio

Parallel multi-modulation madness. Mono only, unfortunately, but not the end of the world.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Old Blood Noise make some really great pedals.
New Shit

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:52 pm
Old Blood Noise make some really great pedals.
They're (both the people and the company) from the town where I went to university! I had a couple friends who worked for them. It's just a little warehouse where they design and build everything. Didn't realize they were popular enough to be known across the ocean. That's cool!

They do indeed make a lot of interesting stuff.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

gedda wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:59 pm
Anyone here have any recommendations for ring mod pedals?
In case you miss it, you might wanna have a look here:

https://www.subsekt.com/forum/viewtopic ... 55&t=11698

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Hello.
So, are people just chucking line level through guitar pedals or are the fancy pants pedals du jour all capable of taking line level?
Also, are people putting the Hi Z output of pedals into mixer Hi Z or line channels?

Thinking I might get a couple of cheap pedals but unsure about it as I've seen people talk about mismatched impedance and stuff.

Cheers xx

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

orchard wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:52 pm
Hello.
So, are people just chucking line level through guitar pedals or are the fancy pants pedals du jour all capable of taking line level?
Also, are people putting the Hi Z output of pedals into mixer Hi Z or line channels?

Thinking I might get a couple of cheap pedals but unsure about it as I've seen people talk about mismatched impedance and stuff.

Cheers xx
Some pedals can take any signal, but if you mess about with lots of different ones it can be handy to have an attenuator lying around - something like this.

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:10 pm
orchard wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:52 pm
Hello.

Cheers xx
Some pedals can take any signal, but if you mess about with lots of different ones it can be handy to have an attenuator lying around - something like this.
Ah, nice. Bargain. Cheers. :)

loug
Pig

Post by loug »

There's some hype around the microcosm pedal, I've never tried it though but have been wanting to test one out.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Just picked up a Strymon Dig, which is more or less the perfect digital delay.

THX_1138
BAD

Post by THX_1138 »

I ordered a Chase Bliss Mood. Curious to see what it can do with more than just the twee stuff that gets thrown at it in youtube videos - it was a concession to the Blooper really, but I was stretching things to the max at £350 for a pedal. It looks like it could be a source of lots of happy accidents, which is what I'm after.

Will report back on the fancypants pedal.

Someone needs to make a channel putting all these pedals through their paces in a techno context.. 'Will it Techno? '

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:08 pm
gedda wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 am
Your best bet for pedal based tape saturation is either Strymon Deco or a TC Electronic Alter Ego (I have the Alter Ego X4). With the TC electronic you can download toneprints and can grab tape sat and grit, and just not use the delay. Works pretty well. Neither are particularly cheap options. The Strymon is cheaper new, but more of a one trick pony.
UAD Starlight Echo System has an incredible-sounding tape mode, as well as analog and digital modes. Easy to modulate to get that degrading tape sound as well. Expensive but IMO best in class for delay pedals.