No DAW Setup, MPC ONE + ??????

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
Markus Wolf
reverse genius
No DAW Setup, MPC ONE + ??????

Post by Markus Wolf »

I'm flirting with the idea. What relatively low cost synth would you pair with the MPC ONE? I have drum samples and field recordings for days so I'm not worried about that. I was thinking maybe Behringer crave...but it's mono so no pads etc, I'm torn trying to keep it simple but keep costs low. Thoughts?

orchard
quasi-public
Re: No DAW Setup, MPC ONE + ??????

Post by orchard »

Neutron?

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

I have zero experience with that synth. I looked up videos bit wasn't impressed but I only watched a couple so my first impression is probably way off. Is it versatile? Can it do a wide range of sounds well?

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

I'd wait and see how the Behringer Mono/Poly turns out. Neutron is a mono synth as well iirc, duophonic at most.
For a low cost synth, I found the Arturia Microfreak interesting. It's 4 voice paraphonic, not true polyphonic.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Would you characterize the micro freak as weaknor thin at all?

Boiled Egg
Alf Garnett

Post by Boiled Egg »

I've been looking at the Modal Skulpt lately. Only about £230ish and sounds fantastic to me. 4 voice VA and seems to cover a lot of sonic territory. The mono output seems like an absolute crime for the sounds that can come out if it though. And the build quality looks utterly feeble too.

Torn between this and a Blofeld, which can be had for about £250 used (desktop version)

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

I want something with sonic balls or deep melodic chords.... Maybe a minilogue

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Maybe consider the Deepmind, Gives you polyphony, fairly straightforward UI, decent price. Steve has one and seems happy with it.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

MPC one + minilogue XD looks like a nice combo.....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Budget?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Around $600 which is roughly the price of the XD module. But then I was thinking it would be nice to go with a MPC ONE + MINILOGUE XF + BEHRINGER CRAVE + SOUBDCRAFT EPM8 , and slowly add in effect pedals. Soni can sample some crazy sounding shit. At least with two synths I can jam out a bass and Melodie or lead and bass etc. Very confusing stuff. I want not just good sound but versatility. Anybody know of any good multi fx units that won't break the bank. I want to do this right so no rush. I'm also wondering what the internal fx are like on the mpc. Hard to go to a store these days.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Behringer pro one or Roland SH01a could be good.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Actually the Pro 1 does look really nice. I liked some of the demos I heard. It sounds pretty gnarly and not as clean to me. Just my 2c.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Markus Wolf wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:50 pm
Around $600 which is roughly the price of the XD module. But then I was thinking it would be nice to go with a MPC ONE + MINILOGUE XF + BEHRINGER CRAVE + SOUBDCRAFT EPM8 , and slowly add in effect pedals. Soni can sample some crazy sounding shit. At least with two synths I can jam out a bass and Melodie or lead and bass etc. Very confusing stuff. I want not just good sound but versatility. Anybody know of any good multi fx units that won't break the bank. I want to do this right so no rush. I'm also wondering what the internal fx are like on the mpc. Hard to go to a store these days.
Get a poly first, more versatile
Then get a mono to follow up.

Minilogue XD is a very very good choice at that price.
The Minilogue alone is wonderful sounding and versatile. The XD adds great features.
I'd day that's a great choice.

The Neutron is really nice, thick sound.

Dreadbox Erebus 2, or any of the Dreadbox line, used, would make a great addition. They have the best sounding oscillators of affordable mono's.

I have a Korg Monologue (different filters and osc to the minologue) which is great. Due to an LFO that goes into audio range you can generate some really interesting sounds you cant with most mono's.
It's also a very nice sounding unit in general.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Thanks guys for the input. Now how about pedals? So far im going to go for this setup....

MPC ONE (Sequencing Sampling Brain)
Minilogue XD Desktop
Pro 1
Soundcraft EPM6

And I want to add a couple pedals, im thinking a reverb, delay and some type of distortion. The boss dd200 looks nice for a delay, now just a stereo reverb maybe strymon and a boss distortion..... Ok boys I need more input on the effects now :)

I should be able to do everything I want to with this setup I think I have the bases covered. Would be nive to have an eventide with those crazy effects but thats out of the price range. Im worried about multi fx pedals not doing a great job...I want one setup to be flexible as hell.

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Anybody have any experienceSource audio collider reverb + delay. I was thinking of putting this on the sends/return on the mixer this way both synths can utilize this pedal and just adding a boss ds1 in the signal chain for the pro 1. I should be able to do allot with this setup. Any advice on routing or better ways to save money on the FX section anybody? This setup is slowly climbing in price LOL

Patientrichard
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Patientrichard »

I was using a Microfreak with my mpc one, u till I decided I wanted just samplers in my studio.

Great synth, versatile - does dub techno style chords, esoteric pad, gnarly sounds. Has a modular feel to it, and if the keyboard isn't for you, you can take it out and have a module version.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

That Soundcraft EPM6 is gonna be too small if you ask me. It has no returns for the fx, so you lose at least two mono channels if you have two mono fx pedals, more if stereo. I'm leaning more to a Midas DM16.

Just saw the MPC has only 2 outs (meh!), so you might be good, but just keep in mind that external fx have to come in on a channel with these small mixers of today. It's something I noticed recently when looking for a small mixer. odd...
Something to keep in mind. You never know if you're gonna change your sampler to something with more outs, for synths, you could maybe consider a used nordrack2 which has 4 outs,...
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

Hi Borg,

Yes Ive already considered that most of my sound design will have to be before it hits the mpc although there are some internal effects hence the use of pedals. Im not going to need to resample all that much to be honest. I have a computer for that. And as far as the EPM6 goes I think it will fit the bill. Has the FX sends and I will have one stereo synth and one mono synth so I should be ok. I think I will do allot better with limitations. I used to have an 8in 8out setup to a board with synths and routing etc. I barely got anything done half the time lol. Too many options can be a fucked up things which is weird right? But limitations are good sometimes...

cheers

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

wouldnt it be sweet if I could reroute the audio to the headphone out to the mixer......