Should I get rid of my vintage gear?

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
seanocean
Jan : )
Should I get rid of my vintage gear?

Post by seanocean »

this is troublesome post.. since i have personal attachment to the gear i have.
but i have,
juno 106
sh101
dx11
dx7iid
alpha juno

and for the most part I do not use them because they take a lot of work to get them sounding dope. i mean the 1o6 is great after i got it basically rebuilt, but the dx gear is slightly broken and the 101 amp just started acting up and the 606 and 707 just cannot be pitched to another key. the alpha is good but it sounds basic..
i feel like since i mostly only use a certain set of new gear i should just probably increase my focus on those. or i should stop being lazy and work harder on getting good sounds out of gear few people have. your opinions?
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

borg
Lifer
Re: Should I get rid of my vintage gear?

Post by borg »

you need the money? If not, you might as well keep them. Especially if some of the devices are not working 100%, you might not get a lot for them.
Personally, I'd keep the 106. I've always wanted a 101 but wasn't gonna pay +1000$ for that, and now I have the Behringer MS-1, still mostly use TAL Bassline though. The only hardware I use on a (not even) regular basis is a 0-coast. Software and a decent controller are so much more convenient, for me. Wouldn't sell my original Korg MS10, though. It's the first synth I ever bought. I sold my EmaxII sampler and Waldorf Pulse for peanuts to a mate, still regret it.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

if they aint working for you then sell em.
thats how ive always operated myself. ive owned most of those and they came & went the same way most things did - used them for as long as i wanted to and then sold & bought something else. if this is a method that works for you then go for it.
depending on where youre based & how realistic you are with prices then you should shift them all easily enough (even if they have issues).
gear is just gear.
if your intention is to make music rather than collect instruments then flog that kit...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

It's just gear, if you aren't using it, flog it, it's just stuff.
Someone will love it more than you.

Unless there is specific nostalgia, like l, I dunno, first synth you bought, first guitar you gigged with or whatever.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

seanocean

Post by seanocean »

i was thinkin of having a acid electro pseudonym but even a lot of electro doesn't use the vintage stuff anymore.
Maybe ill try sampling and pitching. maybe use a pitch shifter to make the gear sound a bit more tough and less stock. if it's still a pain in the ass and just collecting dust i'll probably move on. but IDK there's some sentimentality. toss up.
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Sell it all. Especially the fm & broke stuff. Before it gets even more broken.

Do it in stages. Won't be a big deal with time to help out letting go of possessions. Leave the juno till last.

Get something new.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

i'd keep the 101 and 606 if they are working just because this is such a fun and classic combo. The rest i'd sell.
It's difficult because what you have there are quality and somewhat classic pieces. so you have done a good job of selecting in the first place. It's not like you have a bunch of forgettable korg volcas for example.
Though once they are gone, you'll probably not miss them.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

Personally I'd keep the:

juno 106
sh101
alpha juno

and sell the drum machines first, the 101 could be easily fixed (or you could sell it and buy a Behringer version)

106 maybe sell and buy a Deepmind 12

Alpha Juno sound like a nice synth

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

I'll take the lot of you for £50.

Kids won't be eating tonight though. ;)
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

just check what you need for your ideas, what suits your workflow or inspires you. get rid of the rest.. i found out that it helps me a lot to reduce gear dramatically and just concentrate on two, max three synths/ drummies, but learn them throughout. i've got some gear remaining on the self, my plan is to do some tracks with just one setup and then change it, swap a synth or two and then work hard with the new setup to get the best out of it again. a lot of synths are so versatile, often we use them way under their potential.
:geek:

seanocean

Post by seanocean »

feeling like putting some decksavers on the 707 and the 606 and stowing them away might be the way to go. I love the DX stuff but it's gnna need to be repaired, a lot of the buttons don't work. seems like a plague on the DX gear. i do have a digitone that fits the purpose but the sound of the DX7iid engine is just...