Music Books

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
tdmusic
Informer
Re: Music Books

Post by tdmusic »

Ah yeah sorry, I took Bible from John's post above :) I've just been reading the bit about how sound works in the sense of sine waves adding together to create more complex waveforms and the relationship between frequencies and notes, it's stuff I already pretty much knew but good to go over it again, and then about harmonic relationships between notes, which is interesting to me at the minute as I've started playing around with more melody since getting Push and it's nice to know why certain things work (rather than just randomly pressing pads all the time). It seems well written and he seems to know what he is talking about, much more so than the slightly naff title made me expect! I'm sticking to the second edition, all the mention of "EDM" in the foreword to the latest one scared me off!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

he certainly does know what he's talking about.
like I said : if you found this book no good it's because
a) you're a pretending to know it all wanna-be producer but really just a goddamn hipster
or
b) too experienced to be learning something from a book like this
:D
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Hades wrote:he certainly does know what he's talking about.
like I said : if you found this book no good it's because
a) you're a pretending to know it all wanna-be producer but really just a goddamn hipster
or
b) too experienced to be learning something from a book like this
Tom is a big hipster. So has to be (A)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

yeah, says the guy who dragged me into facebook chit chat yesterday...

and all that because I send out free gifts to some here...

besides, I liked the book, I'm recommending it, so I can't be a nor b...

ugh, you're all a bunch of facebook-sluts...

especially you, cuntley ! :D

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Hades wrote:yeah, says the guy who dragged me into facebook chit chat yesterday...

and all that because I send out free gifts to some here...

besides, I liked the book, I'm recommending it, so I can't be a nor b...

ugh, you're all a bunch of facebook-sluts...

especially you, cuntley ! :D

I'm talking about Tom TD ;)

Anyhow Mr I don't do Facebook, you've been very active since. I think you were just waiting for an excuse to get on the dirty live chat.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

trust me, I sincerely hope this won't become a habit !

yesterday I was wondering for a while how you guys all seem to be constantly on FB...
I mean, how do you seem to be online all the time ???
untill it occured to me you're most likely all doing this from your smartphones :)
since I'm a dumbphone person, and hope to stay one for a while,
I'll be mostly immune to the FB slutiness, no ? :D

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I bought this the other day. May as well throw it in here. Would definitely recommend.

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 135#p39135
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Dead End Dance
fake

Post by Dead End Dance »

ICN wrote: However.. the Roey Izhaki (??), mixing audio book is wicked. Best book I ever bought. Someone mentioned it earlier & I totally agree. It covers so much. Its like the best manual ever written. It does explain some techniques alright.. but its more the explanations of what everything audio related 'does'.. like for instance, all of the typical controls you find on effects units / plugin emulations.. that really comes in handy when you are scratching your head or want to fine tune something that you cannot quite put your finger on. Definitely the favourite book that I've bought.
Totally agree. Very clear explanations of all the important mixing concepts. You can read the written word, then look at very nice explanations, and then hear examples on the included CD. This triple punch guarantees at least something sticks in that dumb brain of yours. Though whoever edited the book needs to seriously reconsider their career choice. At least the first edition I have is full of typeos and awkwardly constructed sentences that seriously distracted from the otherwise great content.

Link for the lazy: http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Audio-Conc ... xing+audio

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

arc wrote: Another good book I've been reading lately called "How music works" by David Byrne is another good read. It doesn't really relate directly to techno, but it definitely makes you think about music in a deeper way.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Music-Works-D ... 1938073533
I read that book whilst on holiday earlier this year, it's an excellent book. Certainly made me think about how I perceive music. For example, after all these years I'm still puzzled on how fond I can be over one record that hardly changes for say 8 mins and really should be heard over a club sound system and not in my car, headphones or home, and really.... I should be sick to death of that basic Channel dub tech sound by now, but I'm not.

I would also recommend anyone who wants to get to grip with synthesis to pick up - Quick Guide To Analogue Synthesis by Ian Waugh. It's so well written.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quick-Guide-Ana ... 1870775708

Keep an eye on ebay or the second had shops. I have seen a copy in a charity shop in Brighton for £2.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

I might actually buy the Dance Music Manual for Christmas. I'm a total beginner when it comes to music production and sound design, so it seems like a great start to get a grasp of some concepts and techniques . Cheers for the recommendation Hades.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hey Evert,

I'm not sure if you've checked this link yet.. but theres a couple of special issues of Computer Music out at the moment. Just seen that theres another special issue on Mixing out today too. Not 100% what thats like, but it has the black look of the other special issues & is 100 pages.

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3726

I'd definitely recommend you / anyone to buy / order / get on Ebay the Beats & Bass Special Edition & the new Synths one. Combined with the guidance of a decent book, they're a great team. These special issues of CM are bursting with great stuff to try out & you'll learn lots if you go through them. Money well spent as a practical companion to whatever book you get IMO.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Sorry.. the mixing one is actually purple. Doesnt look like its in the same series.

Its a pretty broad issue. Take a look at it if you can before you get it to make sure its of interest to you.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

Alright, I'll check it out. Cheers John.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cool man. I feel like I'm giving the hard sell at this stage lol

Sorry everyone for repeating it again as I was saying it earlier in the thread blah, blah, blah.. its just that I think these are must haves for anyone that likes learning. Interested folk really need to get their hands on them before they vanish.

Hope you get something from them :D

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

Hmm, might do that then.

I often find magazine tutorials to be a bit equipment/software specific at times, do you reckon the synth stuff is gonna be something I can happily read and use with my synths?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

They're all pretty versatile. Also have access to the free CM synths they use in it.

Its mainly free stuff they use. Totally transferable.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

there's a whole chapter in the dance music manual on sound design, with many examples for each type of sound.
just saying, but ICN doesn't wanna hear that... :D

Alex _ S
washable

Post by Alex _ S »

Papen's book is good. Though it had nothing in it that I didn't already know, it helps you put things into context. Always useful that is.

I think they ran some of them Computer Music specials before, so these issues must be updated or expanded. Should be able to order them direct of their magazine site as a back order if anyone has any trouble locating one.