Books that somehow relate to techno production

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Barfunkel
Smalahove
Books that somehow relate to techno production

Post by Barfunkel »

I like reading more than watching youtube tutorials. It's also difficult to find videos that are easy enough to understand for someone not using the same exact tools, or not being an expert already.

So, what books are out there that would be somehow useful for techno production? They don't have to be about techno production per se, just something that you've found useful. Composing, synthesis, mixing, mastering, philosophy, everything goes.

As I just graduated from school and I'm unemployed for a while, I have all the time in the world to read about stuff.

Here's a few books that I'm just about to order from Amazon:

Piano for Dummies
Music Theory for Dummies
Music Composition for Dummies
Music Theory for Computer Musicians
The Secrets of House Music Production

Any more suggestions?
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Audiokat
Face Hugger
Re: Books that somehow relate to techno production

Post by Audiokat »

I have these two:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harmony-Compute ... gy_b_img_z

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Composition-Com ... 1598638610

Find them both useful, probably the composition for computer musicians moreso than the harmony one but both are good

[edit] The music theory one on your list is written by Michael Hewitt, the same author as the 2 I have/mentioned

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

It's been said before, but the Izhaki Mixing Audio book is superb.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah.. +100 for the Izhaki book. Deep as fuck. Great reference.

'Specific' Techno stuff? Theres a chapter about it in the Dance Music Manual. Its ok.. but if you can sift through the whole book theres enough clues given throughout in terms of fx chains & synthesis.

Sample Magic did one there a few years ago. The Secrets To House Music Production. Its a good read. Covers a lot but like all books about genre specific stuff; its never enough to completely satisfy.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Reading 'mixing secrets for the small studio' by mike senior of SOS, it's an interesting read which covers a lot of ground.

I've also just started reading 'the power of habit' by charles duhigg. It was recommended on a the resound blog, I'm not too far into it as just been reading whilst travelling
But so far it's really interesting. Not a self help book as such it seems, but gives a variety of case studies and info on psychology related to habits, which is obviously plays a big role in production. Like I said I'm not too far into but it seems very good so far.

nicknack
BANNED

Post by nicknack »

bob katz : mastering audio

i'm about 1/2 way through with the following which is great with max/msp

Electronic Music and Sound Design: Theory and Practice with Max and MSP vol 1 & 2

but i've also got my eye on :

Andy Farnell : Designing Sound

Mike Senior : Mixing Secrets

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Barfunkel wrote:I like reading more than watching youtube tutorials. It's also difficult to find videos that are easy enough to understand for someone not using the same exact tools, or not being an expert already.

So, what books are out there that would be somehow useful for techno production? They don't have to be about techno production per se, just something that you've found useful. Composing, synthesis, mixing, mastering, philosophy, everything goes.

As I just graduated from school and I'm unemployed for a while, I have all the time in the world to read about stuff.

Piano for Dummies
Music Theory for Dummies

Any more suggestions?
Go head and say it! Say it that you think techno people are dummies! :lol:

nicknack
BANNED

Post by nicknack »

LaurentOrchard wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:I like reading more than watching youtube tutorials. It's also difficult to find videos that are easy enough to understand for someone not using the same exact tools, or not being an expert already.

Piano for Dummies
Music Theory for Dummies

Any more suggestions?
Go head and say it! Say it that you think techno people are dummies! :lol:
not just dummies. mentally impaired spastic fuckathon ranners

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Rick Snowman - Dance Music Manual

Stupid title but a great book. Covers all the basics and is very well written

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

PixelKind wrote:Rick Snowman - Dance Music Manual

Stupid title but a great book. Covers all the basics and is very well written

It's Snoman without the "w", but indeed, it's a great book with a horrible title. ;)

I read most of it years ago, and I've read a lot of books after that, but I still think this one is one of the best I read (and one of the few I remember).
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

actually i checked it out after u recommended it here in another thread
read it once and marked all the chapters that i need to revisit for deeper study. really enjoyed it

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

well, glad to hear I was of any assistance. :)

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

LaurentOrchard wrote: Go head and say it! Say it that you think techno people are dummies! :lol:
Well I know I am, when it comes to deeper understanding of music theory. Those For Dummies-books are supposedly written from a layman's point of view. Usually music theory books assume you know how to read sheet music fluently and know all that fancy vocabulary already. I know those are useful to know, it's just that most music theory concepts are actually rather simple, they are just usually expressed in an extremely difficult manner in literature (or even in Wikipedia).
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Do you have a chord wheel?

http://www.chordwheel.com/
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:
LaurentOrchard wrote: Go head and say it! Say it that you think techno people are dummies! :lol:
Well I know I am, when it comes to deeper understanding of music theory. Those For Dummies-books are supposedly written from a layman's point of view. Usually music theory books assume you know how to read sheet music fluently and know all that fancy vocabulary already. I know those are useful to know, it's just that most music theory concepts are actually rather simple, they are just usually expressed in an extremely difficult manner in literature (or even in Wikipedia).
I wonder about that piano for dummies one though...
I mean, how can you simplify a learning process that takes years ?

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Hades wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
I wonder about that piano for dummies one though...
I mean, how can you simplify a learning process that takes years ?
It obviously won't replace tons of practice. Hopefully, it's more of an alternative starting point for people who don't want to play classical or learn how to play in a band.

I actually plan on taking piano lessons at some point, but those are hideously expensive, especially when the teacher isn't just some random dude who makes you practice Fur Elise for 5 years.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

you can consider yourself lucky if it's only "Für Elise" (which actually got renamed like 500x times, "für Charlotte", für Marie", or Für whoever Beethoven wanted to bang at that moment),
in most music schools over here it's 80% Bach untill you puke and quit.

To this day, the over-playing of Bach pieces has a big influence on how I play technically, and I quit my classical education 20 years ago.

No the reason I don't believe in that piano for dummies is that for the learning to play part at first you really need at least some visuals or someone giving you feedback on how to hold your hands and how to move your fingers. No book with pictures is gonna replace that and if you do it wrong you risk of hurting your muscles and/or permanently learning a wrong way to play that will stay inside your mind (muscle memory) and will be very hard to unlearn if you ever discover (or are being told by someone else) how wrong it is.

Kind of like going to a gym all by yourself without someone who explained you how to do the excercises so that you're doing them all wrong for at least a year.
Your body can have grown crooked, muscles can have grown wrong,...

I'm a bit over-exagerating, but yeah, that can happen...

I'm not against piano books at all. I just don't believe in a book to start learning the basics.
But once you have the basics covered, took one or two years of lessons maybe, it's a different story.
I bought 2 piano books on blues last winter, but they are very advanced stuff, the ones that only work if you can already play technically and can read notes and all that.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

what's "hideously expensive" btw ?
How much do private piano lessons in Finland cost ?
I'm curious.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Hades wrote:what's "hideously expensive" btw ?
How much do private piano lessons in Finland cost ?
I'm curious.
Some random piano school I checked out some days ago was something like 50€ an hour.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

damn, and what about private lessons ?