Achieving those white noise rides?

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
TomasHD
slipper
Achieving those white noise rides?

Post by TomasHD »

Hi, everyone

I ve been trying to achieve those noisy rides, by applying lots of reverb and delay on common ride samples. but I don't seem to get that dirt and noise feeling in the rides.(it feels sometimes like a white noise)

I know these track has been posted a lot in this forum. but it has pretty interesting elements
min. 2.26
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IrHzrg4qdQ[/youtube]

its the only the track that comes to mind right now. but lots of producers in techno use that ride technique

Cheers

Pelecaras
Lifer
Re: Achieving those white noise rides?

Post by Pelecaras »

I really struggle with this too. I can get all my percussive elements working well together but as soon as I try to get my rides going it all goes tits-up.
I run my rides through D16 Devastor but still I can't get that piercing sound.

I'm sure brothers yard uses white noise that is gated or side chained???
FUCK-WIT

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Pelecaras wrote:I really struggle with this too. I can get all my percussive elements working well together but as soon as I try to get my rides going it all goes tits-up.
I run my rides through D16 Devastor but still I can't get that piercing sound.

I'm sure brothers yard uses white noise that is gated or side chained???
Yeah, but I think the Brother Yard rides are more raw in terms of sound. this one is purposely processed in some way.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

TomasHD wrote: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IrHzrg4qdQ[/youtube]
To use youtube links, follow the instructions on the youtube button as you mouse over

namely
Enter the video ID string -- the video ID string is the part after v= in the URL
so

youtu.be/5IrHzrg4qdQ
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

soulstar606

Post by soulstar606 »

try using FM synthesis to make your rides and hats

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Search Phantom Distortion in subsekt.

Not sure if its what you looking for though. I would explain it to you but I have to prepare a presentation right now.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You could use white noise.

I tend to generate sounds from synths and add noise to the path, either with the synth itself if it has a noise oscillator, or with an effect that generates noise (stuff like abletons erosion).
Roll some of the very high end off to soften the sound a little, and bobs your mothers brother.

Also good to use is air hose noises, hydraulic release valves, steam valves, or record something at home, blow air through a straw with a bit of sponge in the end.
Get creative, this is techno.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

If you have Ableton, try putting a vocoder after some hats or rides, whatever. The default patch ads noise & you can alter shit significantly with the formant , x,y , dry/wet to keep some of original signal etc...

Other vocoderz a probably do the same.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Ploy
skaghead

Post by Ploy »

909 ride w/ some processing & verb to taste. Done.

Why make shit so complicated?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Because this isn`t about 909 rides it`s about white noise rides.
New Shit

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Ploy wrote:909 ride w/ some processing & verb to taste. Done.

The problem with Techno in one short statement!

Ploy
skaghead

Post by Ploy »

ashley BORG wrote:
Ploy wrote:909 ride w/ some processing & verb to taste. Done.

The problem with Techno in one short statement!
It's not a problem for me. I like the sound of the 909 ride on 1/8ths. Adds some pace to a track, gives it that driving feeling.

Ploy
skaghead

Post by Ploy »

Lost to the Void wrote:Because this isn`t about 909 rides it`s about white noise rides.
I guess it's possible to dick around forever with various sources of noise to try to recreate "dat ride" sound and never get it right because the artist one is try to copy used something else. How do we know it's white noise for sure? Could be pink noise thru a high pass or it could be something else entirely...

The 909 ride is just another alternative to try...or keep fucking around and keep getting the same disappointing results because it's the wrong source to begin with. I am not saying the 909 is the end all and be all but it's certainly quite commonly used by many artists.

And as the OP said he had heard this type of ride in other tracks so maybe that's a clue.

Ploy
skaghead

Post by Ploy »

I will add. Using straight noise be it white or pink is not going to get you very far. What you will likely wind up with is a hihat. Using a fast attack and fast decay will produce a closed hat type of sound (Tic) increase the decay time and you will end up with a (Tttsss) type sound or an open hat. A ride sound is not a Tic or Ttsss type of sound, its more like (Ting). There is a metallic or ringing type of sound quality to a ride cymbal that needs to be achieved in synthesis and it would be helpful to keep that in mind when trying to design a cymbal from scratch. At the very least one would want 2 oscillators. Beyond that, I would look at bit reduction to achieve a lo-fi type of quality. Maybe go down to 12bits. Play with the pitch.

soulstar606

Post by soulstar606 »

707 ride is good to0 and the LD one in ableton pack that i still dont know what it stands for, LD ride and open hat are good

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

soulstar606 wrote:707 ride is good to0 and the LD one in ableton pack that i still dont know what it stands for, LD ride and open hat are good
Linn Drum?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ploy wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Because this isn`t about 909 rides it`s about white noise rides.
I guess it's possible to dick around forever with various sources of noise to try to recreate "dat ride" sound and never get it right because the artist one is try to copy used something else. How do we know it's white noise for sure? Could be pink noise thru a high pass or it could be something else entirely...

The 909 ride is just another alternative to try...or keep fucking around and keep getting the same disappointing results because it's the wrong source to begin with. I am not saying the 909 is the end all and be all but it's certainly quite commonly used by many artists.

And as the OP said he had heard this type of ride in other tracks so maybe that's a clue.
White noise rides are kinda the current go to cliche that took over from 909 cliche really.
It is literally just chained white noise on a lot of the run of the mill berghein tracks that use it. Sometimes it's samples of vinyl noise too.
They all work in adding that final drive when you don't know what to add next to push things forward.
White noise, crackles, tape hiss etc are just the new 909 sounds.
New Shit

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

If you have ableton try this:
1. Get any 909 ride
2. Slap live's vocoder on it
3. put it on 50% wet/dry

TBH it just sounds like white noise layered under.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Personally, I don't think there is a white noise layer under the ride, I think it is a 909 ride that has some kind of processing, i tried some stuff but I haven't achieve decent results.

Here its another example of those noisy rides, so you can have a deeper look
min 3.37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7g5XF8h_Do

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Ploy wrote:Beyond that, I would look at bit reduction to achieve a lo-fi type of quality. Maybe go down to 12bits. Play with the pitch.
I reckon it's bit reduction on a x0x sound, try Abletons redux tool. Erosion might work as well. Even better, don't imitate it at all and find your own variation on it.