Recommended Spotify Playlists

General Chat // Music Discussion
rsntr
Jan : )
Recommended Spotify Playlists

Post by rsntr »

Yeah, I know, Spotify is bad and everything... Nevertheless, I'm wondering if there are any interesting curated playlists in order to discover new releases and artists without relying on the algorithm.

JonasVolkenborn
Interact. Don't Spam.
Re: Recommended Spotify Playlists

Post by JonasVolkenborn »

WHY YOU NO LET ME SPAMMMM? :D

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

wow !
haha
and haha
and haha again.

10 posts since 2016.
don't overdo it now !
ever heard of the concept of contributing,
like before you just use this topic as shameless self promo ??

:|
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Rickskii
brown envelope

Post by Rickskii »

Also interested in this as Spotify is pretty deep now. I follow most of the well known ones but would be nice to get stuff with predominantly new music. There is one called Berghain Dark Techno another, New music on Soma, which i like.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Rickskii wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:52 pm
Also interested in this as Spotify is pretty deep now. I follow most of the well known ones but would be nice to get stuff with predominantly new music. There is one called Berghain Dark Techno another, New music on Soma, which i like.
go on band camp,
look at what they suggest based on what you check out.

go and look at releases on discogs, see what they suggest.

spotify is just another tool that is completely about directing us to ways where we could all just swallow down the same generic poo.

Rickskii
brown envelope

Post by Rickskii »

Hades wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm
Rickskii wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:52 pm
go on band camp,
look at what they suggest based on what you check out.

go and look at releases on discogs, see what they suggest.

spotify is just another tool that is completely about directing us to ways where we could all just swallow down the same generic poo.
I will certainly check that stuff out, cheers! It has been a journey for me. I am 47 years old and grew up as a breakdancer listening to electro and then moved on to house as it first appeared. I spent a long time after this working abroad and kind of lost my way a bit musically. I got back in Techno about 5 years ago and i admit that my way back was through Anjunadeep stuff, then Bumload. I am now, i guess like many others who come here, finding the music that really means something to me. I am most of the way there but my knowledge is a bit limited especially as i don't go clubbing etc (young family).

Slowly, slowly getting there.

Cheers.

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

Does anyone at all here use YT?
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Rickskii wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 pm
I will certainly check that stuff out, cheers! It has been a journey for me. I am 47 years old and grew up as a breakdancer listening to electro and then moved on to house as it first appeared. I spent a long time after this working abroad and kind of lost my way a bit musically. I got back in Techno about 5 years ago and i admit that my way back was through Anjunadeep stuff, then Bumload. I am now, i guess like many others who come here, finding the music that really means something to me. I am most of the way there but my knowledge is a bit limited especially as i don't go clubbing etc (young family).

Slowly, slowly getting there.

Cheers.
no need for an explanation man, but thx ;)

I barely go clubbing either.
Best way to dive into good music for me is to go on SC and look up a few artists you like.
Most likely they'll have some podcasts on there as well as DJ sets.
Listen to them, check out their track list if you like them.
Then move on to some of the artists you liked on that podcast.

There's literally hundreds and hundreds of podcasts on SC to be found,
and most of them you can download as well.
They will be far far better than spotify playlists.

I'm not saying Spotify can't be useful for the average normal person who just needs an easy fix of average normal music,
but if you're into underground techno like us, then don't let some Spotify shitlist decide what you're gonna listen to.
There are far better ways to get to better music.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

0dd wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:40 pm
Does anyone at all here use YT?
all the time to look up shit while using discogs
but just had a rather nasty experience there with people ripping off my music and then trying to block me off.

SixOfOne
non reader

Post by SixOfOne »

Hades wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 pm
don't overdo it now !

Haha, I love it!! He was straight in too, as if he was waiting ages for this kind of thread!

Re Spotify, I don't use it for electronic music, just for non-electronic music.

I prefer making YouTube playlists for electronic stuff, it's the way I always done it before Spotify came along. One annoying thing is when a video is removed, it's gone forever, so maybe I should do the old switch-a-roo to Spotify..

Trom
Wastedddd

Post by Trom »

Hades wrote:
While I'd agree with this sentiment in general, and for sure Spotify is guilty of this as well, I must say I use spotify a lot when searching for new electronic music, and I do find their personal recommendations very good at times. I don't know what can be categorized as "generic poo" when it comes to genres like tech house ect, but I've found some great artists through spotify without a "name" and only a handful monthly listeners ect.

Rickskii
brown envelope

Post by Rickskii »

Completely agree, most of the artists I see talked about in this forum are on Spotify. The main issue I have is that I like to try and listen to the most recent stuff which is hard to search for as lots of stuff is pretty jumbled up.

Trom wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:17 pm
Hades wrote:
While I'd agree with this sentiment in general, and for sure Spotify is guilty of this as well, I must say I use spotify a lot when searching for new electronic music, and I do find their personal recommendations very good at times. I don't know what can be categorized as "generic poo" when it comes to genres like tech house ect, but I've found some great artists through spotify without a "name" and only a handful monthly listeners ect.

Vandalsounds
Onions

Post by Vandalsounds »

Hades wrote:
10 posts since 2016.
don't overdo it now !
Well, his signature says "Interact. Don't Spam." ;)

SixOfOne wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:02 pm
Hades wrote:
don't overdo it now !

I prefer making YouTube playlists for electronic stuff, it's the way I always done it before Spotify came along.
YT = 2005
Spotify = 2006

Not to far in between.

.... Hi btw! :mrgreen:

Trom
Wastedddd

Post by Trom »

Rickskii wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:59 pm
Completely agree, most of the artists I see talked about in this forum are on Spotify. The main issue I have is that I like to try and listen to the most recent stuff which is hard to search for as lots of stuff is pretty jumbled up.
I find the "your release radar" playlist quite useful, but not sure what decides which songs are put in there though. As for finding newly released music from new artists I find that a bit tricky in general, but surely searching bandcamp/beatport or just trying to follow news from labels you like are better than relaying on any Spotify algorithm.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Spotify always ends up recommending me the same (albeit great) artists that I already listen to. Its Surgeon, DVS1, SXCH(repeat endlessly), Shifted, Ben Klock, Oscar Mulero, Ø [phase] and Regis... Not too impressed with the algorithm.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Trom wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:16 pm
Rickskii wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:59 pm
I find the "your release radar" playlist quite useful, but not sure what decides which songs are put in there though. As for finding newly released music from new artists I find that a bit tricky in general, but surely searching bandcamp/beatport or just trying to follow news from labels you like are better than relaying on any Spotify algorithm.
that's pretty much my whole point. :) ;)
I mean, obviously, all these companies/websites are just trying to sell you stuff and make a profit,
but me, personally, I prefer to just dive into discogs or bandcamp and follow their algorithm than any Spotify shit.
But most of the time, I just find myself discovering 1 name, and then checking out his/her whole discography on discogs, using the youtube video's as a handy help, and then discovering collabs they did.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Amøbe wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm
Not too impressed with the algorithm.
That's just it !
I'm pretty sure their algorithm simply wouldn't help me much at all.
Already far too much down the techno-hole (or music-hole all together) to still expect to get "served" by a dumb algorithm...

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Hades wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:56 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:37 pm
Not too impressed with the algorithm.
That's just it !
I'm pretty sure their algorithm simply wouldn't help me much at all.
Already far too much down the techno-hole (or music-hole all together) to still expect to get "served" by a dumb algorithm...
yeah exactly... on bigger genres (all sorts of pop-mutations for instance) it can actually be quite impressive and accurate. We have tested it a lot at my job and compared it to lists made by "experts" (like those of Apples streaming service), and the algorithm serves pretty much the same as the experts do. However, it just seem so cold to not discover something on your own or at least get it recommended :P

Also (it is getting better, though) it seem to have understood all Danish music as just one genre :D

Trom
Wastedddd

Post by Trom »

Hades wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:53 pm
that's pretty much my whole point. :) ;)
I mean, obviously, all these companies/websites are just trying to sell you stuff and make a profit,
but me, personally, I prefer to just dive into discogs or bandcamp and follow their algorithm than any Spotify shit.
But most of the time, I just find myself discovering 1 name, and then checking out his/her whole discography on discogs, using the youtube video's as a handy help, and then discovering collabs they did.
Well, they way you describe discovering an artist is very similar to the way I discover artists, just I often use Spotify, with RA as a handy help instead ect. I've never touched YT when looking for music my self, and it's just shows how things are down to personal preferences I guess. My initial point was just that Spotifys algorithm has in fact given me many new names in the "discover weekly" playlist f.ex, and not just generic poo or the same names all over again. However, when finding a new artist, doing the proper digging ect that you describe is necessary and a big part of the fun about discovering new music! :)