Technoacts that are not white males

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Technoacts that are not white males

Post by Hades »

wayfinder wrote:I'm advocating for working against the systemic discrimination that has for centuries tugged us into the wrong direction.

edit:

Root doesn't have option 3, but he does have option 2
I was in the middle of writing a long and detailed post about that image,
but then I thought "fuck it",
I, myself, do not feel, in any way, that there is some form of fence,
whether this be about color of skin or sexual nature, or banning koala's or not.
If ever I noticed such a fence anywhere at all,
I would have always steered far away from those kind of places.

Now if others like to think these so called fences are there in some way,
hell, just pretty much everywhere they fucking look, so be it...
:|

I'll happily continue mingling with other people because I like them for their personalities,
or for the music they produce.
If others would like to continue any form of discussion based on all kinds of stuff I'm being told I should be noticing while I've never even given them any kind of 2nd thought,
well, to each his own.

I prefer to stay totally color blind even though I'm told to be all about noticing skin color. ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

wayfinder wrote: The fence here is the arbiter of access to a festival spot.
me, stupid white male, got that part,
but thank you for pointing that out again nonetheless... ;)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Discrimination is discrimination.
The new left has invented this white knight-ism of "positive discrimination", but it's bullshit, and just another way of dividing people.

If you can't see your way through it, fair enough, aim for the ditch on the other side of the road, enjoy the ride, but make sure you fasten your seatbelt because there will most definitely be some whiplash.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

Well, some people here seem to think of non-white people as some sort of "underhumans" who need the white's help to be able to wipe their own asses... I would rather be subject to direct racism than this baby-sitting bullshit, I don't believe there is something called white privilege or anything of that sort, if white people seem to have some privileges today maybe they just deserve it because they worked their asses for it, nothing wrong with that, maybe the other people on this planet that are seen as "less developed" or inferior should work their asses to get to the same level instead of being lazy and complaining how europe colonized every part of the world that wasn't white. I even think it's easier for a foreign dj to make a name for himself because it brings a dose of originality in the current sea of white djs, so quickly remove this non-white privilege for the sake of equality.

Everyone drives their own car

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

No, what you advocate is "positive discrimination" or preferential treatment or whatever you want to call it.
My analogy remains.
Just don't aim for a fucking ditch in the first place.
Or spend forever careening between them with a suit of armour on.

As I mentioned, with my last label, I took in demos, I listened to them, if I liked them ,I released them.
By your advocation I would ask all demo sender's submit a checklist stating their sex, their sexual preference and their race and that I make a point of picking whoever is considered a discriminated minority according to some statistic, rather than just picking whatever I like the most.

I think I'll just pick the music I like most like I always have, with no discrimination based on anything but wether or not I like the fucking music.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

wayfinder wrote:I am notably not saying that people who like having a white penis are worse than others
my penis, like my skin color, is actually pretty dark.
I still like having this particular penis though. ;)
(Perhaps I should consider wearing a t-shirt saying "proud to have a dark penis" or something,
I don't know)
wayfinder wrote:I'm advocating for supporting others to get to the same level of societal power and representation, which is a fucking important distinction.
I think all of us here are about supporting these equal rights as well. But we disagree about the means to get there.
wayfinder wrote:It's literally returning to the middle of the road, and if you read my car analogy again, you'll see that you're saying the same thing I am. To get from the right side, where the ditch is, to the middle of the road, REQUIRES turning the wheel left. Aiming for no ditch unless you don't stop when things are cool and equal.
How about you just stay in the middle of the road ?? Which is where I think our scene has always been, at least wherever all the proper parties were done. The proper parties/raves I went to, I never had the feeling there was any "fence", ever. And the few occasions I went to places where I noticed some form of "fence" mentality, I got so disgusted I never went back, and did my very best to convince whoever I knew to do the same, even if the place was considered "hip/cool" by most...
wayfinder wrote: There's no discrimination in hiring a black or female DJ. It's not like a white guy had the spot promised (other than through systemic privilege, surprise!)
Of course there is no discrimination in hiring a black or female DJ. None of us ever said that. It only becomes a discrimination when this act gets booked starting from the fact that he/she is black and/or female or whatever it is they're trying to get more numbers of. Because at that moment you're just going the positive discrimination way, and, as it says in the word itself,
that's a form of discrimination in the end.
I think it's fair to say that all of the people here that tried to raise some questions are just advocating about keeping the MUSIC first at all times, and only then considering the rest.
Hell, trying to make "the rest" not an issue at all for as much as possible.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

wayfinder wrote:Well you did say there was no fence, so I thought I'd make sure.
I said that I never noticed that fence myself. ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Prophän wrote:Well, some people here seem to think of non-white people as some sort of "underhumans" who need the white's help to be able to wipe their own asses... I would rather be subject to direct racism than this baby-sitting bullshit
please, please don't mention how much I needed your help to wipe my own ass while you were here,
that shit just doesn't fit well into the general categorizations most people need to explain to themselves how this world works. ;)

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I'm happy my parents raised me that people are people / persons are persons when I grew up.
It makes thing clearer earlier on when I understood it. The vast majority never got it.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mattias wrote:I'm happy my parents raised me that people are people / persons are persons when I grew up.
It makes thing clearer earlier on when I understood it. The vast majority never got it.
Wellllllll, except people from south london....
They are all fucking troglodytes and no one would miss em if we stuck em all on a big boat, sailed it out to sea and sunk the fucker. Seriously.
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mattias wrote:I'm happy my parents raised me that people are people / persons are persons when I grew up.
Wellllllll, except people from south london....
They are all fucking troglodytes and no one would miss em if we stuck em all on a big boat sailed, it out to sea and sunk the fucker. Seriously.
Ah, I see, well no knowledge is absolute after all so I gladly accept this new injection of wisdom into my way of thinking!
Cheers Steve ;)
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Really, crossing the Thames and going south is like entering into the wastelands in Mad Max. There is nothing across that river but mutation, depravity and human detritus.

It`s the one case where discrimination is not only accepted but generally recommended.

I recommend we nuke the site from orbit.
It`s the only way to be sure...
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:Really, crossing the Thames and going south is like entering into the wastelands in Mad Max. There is nothing across that river but mutation, depravity and human detritus.

It`s the one case where discrimination is not only accepted but generally recommended.

I recommend we nuke the site from orbit.
It`s the only way to be sure...
You're talking like a true man that just went properly south and spent your first afternoon visit in Wallonia !
Charleroi or at least Seraing.

Everybody knows everyone from that place sucks,
especially if they have a somewhat differently colored skin
(doesn't fucking matter if they just left a centre de bronzage "Magic", I tell ya they're all fucking suspicious !!),
and especially if they are trying to make techno....

Of course, not trying to generalize or anything,
I mean, there could be good techno coming from white folks that live in the outskirts of these recently named places of horror...
but only if they're male !!!
I think that goes without saying !!

There is a Dardenne semi-documentary film about that coming out soon :
"Techno, l'age de bronzage !! "
Make sure you don't miss it ! 8-)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Oh South London is non discriminatory in terms of the human detritus that exists there. All the creatures there, regardless of creed or colour, are human waste, sent there to rot by the rest of civilisation.

I mean, if Satan were given the option of living in Camberwell, he would prefer to stay in hell.
When the flu epidemic hit london this year, it had to get a south london vaccine to protect itself.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

youtu.be/9MQOwFdnhXA

I'm sorry
For something that I didn't do
Lynched somebody
But I don't know who
You blame me for slavery
A hundred years before I was born

Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white

I'm sorry
Lynched somebody
But I don't know who
You blame me for slavery

Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white

I'm a convict - Guilty!
Of a racist crime - Guilty!
I've only served - Guilty!
Nineteen years of my time

I'm sorry
Lynched somebody
But I don't know who
You blame me for slavery

Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white
Guilty of being white
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Lost to the Void wrote:Discrimination is discrimination.

The new left has invented this white knight-ism of "positive discrimination", but it's bullshit, and just another way of dividing people...
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mono-xID wrote: Guilty of being white
you're white ????

ok, now I gotta re-adjust my whole opinion on you man,
cause I always just figured you were a crossing between some fat Latino ho and some DDR inbred Inuit...

come to think of it, I wouldn't spread that fact around too much if you wanna sell your trap beats and all ! ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

on a more serious note though : how come you switched to making trap ?
(and no, I'm not really asking about what made you dislike/hate the techno scene that much, rather how you got into making trap)

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Seems like there is A LOT misunderstanding going on here. And still there is a lot assumption going on, what's not getting us anywhere. Some argue on their personal level, some argue on a macro-society level. Some bring personal experiences, some are thinking about social theory. That's different fields that can't be discussed against each other or compared in any way. That I am treating everyone equal is a good thing and is beyond all question, but it won't contribute very much to a change in society, where unequal treating and discrimination is standard. It will just contribute my own personal behaviour.
It's not me making skin color, gender, ... an issue. It's the society. It's big and real. And it won't become unreal because of just me treating everyone nice (what I'm doing and again, what's beyond all question, btw.). So to me it's about acknowledging and dealing with this social reality. This is what I'm doing and I'm considering it as ONE aspect in my booking, instead of ignoring it. I'm also considering cash, arrival, overnight accomodation, ... because i have to. Would you say everyone in big companys should just be nice to each other and this would be enough to change unequal treatment of women there? It would in your personal environment, but not much more. Would you say #metoo is shit and it should left be, because it makes discrimination visible? You have to face discimination and it's strutures and powerful impacts, when you want to do something about it. You have to make it visible, discuss it and show that it's ignored/ invisible/ not acknowledged in most cases (what's often a big problem for people affected by discrimination, they're facing relativisation of their experiences, victim blaming and so on). It's about hung-up social structures that have to be broken, about distribution of social ressources, about access to goods, services and rights for everyone, about being able to participate like everyone else and so on. Not concidering this would lead me to a major white male booking with very good music, where I'd have a nice festival, but also replicate the discrimination that's going on out there. Even if i was treating everyone gently. And again and as my last statement: why is the idea of not having a major white male booking that important to discuss, that there are six sides filled in that short time? Yes i know, it should be about music, not something else. And you're right with this, same opinion here. It should be. But it sadly isn't only about music in most festival bookings, clubs, raves, .... It's often about names, sex, profit, access to the right people, that know someone that knows someone. Or at least affected by this. That's what I'm against, because it clealy prevents a lot of raves of being raves where everyone let's loose and can be free. And for sure, if I'm not after a bigger political impact I'm doing good with underground raves, reaching my scene here, where i don't have to worry that much about discrimination. That's what I'm doing on a local base, too, for years now. Sorry, but my english is pretty bad when it comes to sociology, politics and stuff, so I'm not easily able to explain what my exact position is. Being exact is pretty important in this. Without it'll only lead to misunderstanding or assuming wrong point of views again and again. Over and out, need my energy to plan a festival :).

postscript: we're gonna build a crashed UFO as dj-booth, where the dj's will be located only on the side of it and not in the focus of the crowd. the idea goes the way that the djs can see what's going on, but to not have a herd like dancing crowd facing the djs.
Last edited by Root on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:geek:

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Hades wrote:on a more serious note though : how come you switched to making trap ?
(and no, I'm not really asking about what made you dislike/hate the techno scene that much, rather how you got into making trap)
Dude chill :lol: ... I just wanted to try something different. I make all sorts of music. I can't be arsed to just make techno.

And no, I don't sell beats because my beats are shit. Soundcloud mumble rappaz can have them for free.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths