Radio Slaves guide to becoming a professional DJ in 2018...

General Chat // Music Discussion
RWise
durchfall
Radio Slaves guide to becoming a professional DJ in 2018...

Post by RWise »

lol

https://www.facebook.com/like.radio.sla ... 7276937143

My New Year message and guide to becoming a professional DJ in 2018...

First make sure you’re a really good liar. This is imperative and there’s no point continuing if you can’t lie.

Move to Berlin or any major northern European city.

Befriend a well known DJ, Club Promoter or record shop owner. It’s not what you know its who you know.

Ask which trends are big in dance music.

Find an underground producer through your new friends (unknown is better ) and pay him/her to create an EP thats fits in with the current trends.

Also make sure you pay the producer enough money to keep his/her mouth shut or make sure they sign an NDA (non disclosure agreement).

Approach a cool and credible record label that still produces vinyl (the black round discs your parents had) via your DJ/Promoter/Record shop owner friend.

And please note there is no need to DJ at this point. It’s NOT important.

Study Social media.

This will be the key to your success so channel 100% of your energy into Instagram and Facebook.

You’ve got your ghost producer making your tracks, and you can access all the musical information you need to impress people via youtube, Discogs and Beatport so please remember there’s no need to waste any time digging for records or learning to DJ as a craft or working your way through the ranks.
This is an illusion you’ll create later with well placed photos of you outside a record store or a cool selfie in front of some modular gear (at a music store or studio).

So exploit Social Media and make this your best friend and biggest weapon.

Research all the current and biggest music news sites.
Check which new artists they championed over the last few years and see if you fit the bill.
Of course this will also depend on who’s made it and who’s not. No point in trying to copy some loser.

And then find your look:

Will you be nerdy ?
Will you need a weird, edgy name ?
Check all the best fashion / streetwear blogs and see whats hot.

Image is everything !

You’ve managed to convince a credible label to release your music (this will require a good amount of lies).

At this point you’ll need to start spending some money (but not on music) and you should find a PR agency or agent that will represent you and so look at the smaller agencies as they might take you on because you’re young, edgy and fashionable and for a cheap rate.

Then once you start to get a name you can dump them and go with a big agency that represents larger and more commercial DJ/artists which will enable you get a bigger profile.

The record label has mastered your EP and is starting to promote your release.
The magazines are interested because you’re fresh, new and you have a fashionable image,
And securing a feature is key to getting gigs and moving forward.

Also at this point you’ll need to beg the label for some shows or ask your new network of friends to secure a gig.

NOTE. Don’t get to close to the first group of friends. You’ll dump these as you move up the social ladder.

Preparing for your first show.
Join this group on Facebook: The Identification of Music Group

Check your/friends favourite DJ’s. See what tracks they’re playing and make some notes on which tracks are hot.

You can also check tracks on Youtube, Discogs etc (if you’re into music) but it’s probably best you use your time on Facebook and Instagram.

Ask your DJ / label friends / PR guys for music / tracks.

At this stage everyone is totally behind you and willing to do whatever it is to make you a success.
They want you to succeed. It’s a great look for them and it generally makes people feel good if they see people doing well (or does it ?).

So make the most of everyone involved and find someone to give you some DJ lessons.
Ask them to show you how to use Rekordbox.

Buy two 32G USB sticks and load them with the tracks.

And remember to only use the SYNC function on the CDJs.

Or another more devious option (which I’ve seen) is to record all the tracks at the same tempo on CDs and use these to give the illusion that you’re a real DJ. But this requires more time away from social media.

You’re almost there.
The magazine features are coming out. You’re getting a few shows through that cool independent record label and you’re social media stats are growing.

And whats next ?

You dump the first record label and go to a bigger one. You dump the first PR company, and by this stage you’re probably on your second DJ agent.

You’re recording the confetti moments of your gigs on video and everyone thinks you’re cool.

And if it’s all going well the management companies will be circling like hawks.
They’ll see an opportunity to make money and take you to the next level….

….and within one year you can go from zero to playing at all the best and most credible clubs and festivals around the world.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Evert
who is it?
Re: Radio Slaves guide to becoming a professional DJ in 2018

Post by Evert »

Alright! Now where can I find some cheap 32G USB sticks?

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Great post

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

a.k.a. How to rip off the KLF with a facebook post for kids who don't know who the KLF are.

i don't know from the text if it is in jest, satire or just salty.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

This is great advice. I think we should stickie this.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Actually is the "ghost producers" an actual thing? I mean I know there are/need to be people who make beats for pop stars, but I don't see how would that worm with techno, or any other less exposed electronic music. Was any1 of you asked to do "ghost producing"?
And finally: how can I become one? :D :D
Happy new year. ;)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

P0607r0n wrote:Actually is the "ghost producers" an actual thing? I mean I know there are/need to be people who make beats for pop stars, but I don't see how would that worm with techno, or any other less exposed electronic music.
It is rampant. In the 90s, it was possible to get booked frequently as a DJ without releasing anything and producers could make a decent living from selling 12". Nowadays, you pretty much have to put out records if you want to make a living as a DJ. At the same time, making a living from selling records as a studio geek is impossible. Studio geek A makes a record for DJ B. DJ B gets exposure from that record and makes good money playing gigs and then gives studio geek A a nice chunk of that money. Both can make a living where they couldn't have otherwise. The economic circumstances of the industry almost force this kind of relationshop.

I think less technically inclined DJs collaborating with engineers/producers is fine. People like Sasha, Digweed and Goldie did it openly in the 90s and it's resulted in some great music that wouldn't have been made otherwise. But those people were all seminal DJs with creative visions. The problem with "ghost producing" specifically is that it pretends that the DJ wrote the tracks all by themselves, which has resulted in a group of people that aren't particularily good or creative DJs and get booked pretty much exclusively for their productions ... which they didn't even write by themselves.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

P0607r0n wrote:Actually is the "ghost producers" an actual thing? I mean I know there are/need to be people who make beats for pop stars, but I don't see how would that worm with techno, or any other less exposed electronic music. Was any1 of you asked to do "ghost producing"?
Happy new year. ;)
It happens loooooads in techno. More than you would think

I got approached only last month, weirdly enough.
Asked by new hot kid to "work together" for production, arrangement and mixing sessions.
Happens every couple of months to me. If the music were interesting I might at least consider it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Lost to the Void wrote:
P0607r0n wrote:Actually is the "ghost producers" an actual thing? I mean I know there are/need to be people who make beats for pop stars, but I don't see how would that worm with techno, or any other less exposed electronic music. Was any1 of you asked to do "ghost producing"?
Happy new year. ;)

Asked by new hot kid to "work together" for production, arrangement and mixing sessions.
Happens every couple of months to me. If the music were interesting I might at least consider it.
Mhm it sounds like asking for "collab" to me. You know "new hot kid x voidloss" but you know better what the intentions were.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

I couldn't handle it, i mean why you need to lie to someone and say that you're that guy but you actually not. I mean i'm struggling with my production, and there's other people as well, i would rather colloborate with some one and learn everything step by step, and i woild share credits as well. Anywah this post smells like sarcasm lol
P.s why every time i'm log in, below my nick name something is writed down like face hugger and every time i log in it's totally different shit, like now it's fake, should i commit an suicide? :mrgreen:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

P0607r0n wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Happy new year. ;)

Mhm it sounds like asking for "collab" to me. You know "new hot kid x voidloss" but you know better what the intentions were.
No this is strictly about paid services and so on, the approach is different.
When people ask to collab if they do interesting stuff then I'll give it a go.
Have a few Collab projects on the go.
To be honest I want to move over to mostly doing Collab work.
I been working on my own for too long and I come from working in a band and I want that kind of bouncing ideas around vibe.

But ghost production. Meh, it's never people who want anything interesting, always boring Bumload/whatever is popular stuff.
Even desperate for money I couldn't do it, it's so boring and mechanical making that type of shit.
New Shit

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Lost to the Void wrote:
No this is strictly about paid services and so on, the approach is different.
When people ask to collab if they do interesting stuff then I'll give it a go.
Have a few Collab projects on the go.
To be honest I want to move over to mostly doing Collab work.
I been working on my own for too long and I come from working in a band and I want that kind of bouncing ideas around vibe.

But ghost production. Meh, it's never people who want anything interesting, always boring Bumload/whatever is popular stuff.
Even desperate for money I couldn't do it, it's so boring and mechanical making that type of shit.
Totally agree with you Void, I recognized that you can't do everything by your own all the time, you need people around you. Learn something new, expand and etc, but this is the problem for me, as much as i want to achieve my goals it's hard to make contacts and work with someone on a project. I hope this year will be awesome, and maybe maybe i hope so we can collab on a project Void. Dreams dreams dreams dreams :)

gtsm
fake

Post by gtsm »

Lost to the Void wrote: But ghost production. Meh, it's never people who want anything interesting, always boring Bumload/whatever is popular stuff.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of money are these people willing to invest? Because if they make it big and start to tour internationally the ROI for them must be nice.

gtsm
fake

Post by gtsm »

dubdub wrote:
P0607r0n wrote:Actually is the "ghost producers" an actual thing? I mean I know there are/need to be people who make beats for pop stars, but I don't see how would that worm with techno, or any other less exposed electronic music.
It is rampant. In the 90s, it was possible to get booked frequently as a DJ without releasing anything and producers could make a decent living from selling 12". Nowadays, you pretty much have to put out records if you want to make a living as a DJ. At the same time, making a living from selling records as a studio geek is impossible. Studio geek A makes a record for DJ B. DJ B gets exposure from that record and makes good money playing gigs and then gives studio geek A a nice chunk of that money. Both can make a living where they couldn't have otherwise. The economic circumstances of the industry almost force this kind of relationshop.

I think less technically inclined DJs collaborating with engineers/producers is fine. People like Sasha, Digweed and Goldie did it openly in the 90s and it's resulted in some great music that wouldn't have been made otherwise. But those people were all seminal DJs with creative visions. The problem with "ghost producing" specifically is that it pretends that the DJ wrote the tracks all by themselves, which has resulted in a group of people that aren't particularily good or creative DJs and get booked pretty much exclusively for their productions ... which they didn't even write by themselves.
Take classical music for instance. Nobody expects musicians to compose their own symphonies or singers to write their own operas. The distinction between composing stuff and performing it is clear. And perfroming is considered to be art in its own right. But with electronic and club music the performing part is very different. General public lacks understanding and does not appreciate stuff DJs do, hence the button pushers. So you have to be able to say that you play your tracks as well although it's nothing more than pushing the same button.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

gtsm wrote:Just out of curiosity, what kind of money are these people willing to invest? Because if they make it big and start to tour internationally the ROI for them must be nice.
You can buy finished library tracks to then pass off as your own for as little as $200. If you're a $3000 a set DJ then I'm sure you it's a more personal relationship with your ghost writer the fees are largely undisclosed.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

gtsm wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote: But ghost production. Meh, it's never people who want anything interesting, always boring Bumload/whatever is popular stuff.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of money are these people willing to invest? Because if they make it big and start to tour internationally the ROI for them must be nice.
I've been offered between 3 and 5 hundred to do an EP.
Which would probably be 3\4 days work.
New Shit

rsntr
Jan : )

Post by rsntr »

someone already took care of that business:
https://ghostproducer.io/

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

rsntr wrote:someone already took care of that business:
https://ghostproducer.io/

Dafuq ???

THE ULTIMATE REVOLUTION OF EDM GHOST PRODUCING Really??? How low can you go....

http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

arkos

Post by arkos »

That is fucking hilarious :lol: :D

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

and so true
Sin cambios no hay mariposa