[Belfast] Myler / DSNT Production Workshop _ 23rd Aug 18

General Chat // Music Discussion
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
[Belfast] Myler / DSNT Production Workshop _ 23rd Aug 18

Post by Críoch »

23rd August 2018

Dean Myler is going to be doing a bit of a chat on production in Belfast.

He has a unique sound & attitude. Lots of different musical passions & a wide ear. Shows in his productions & DJ sets.

Should be v.interesting if anyone is around those parts.

Putting it in here.. rather than events so that more people may see it.

https://m.facebook.com/DSNTRecords/phot ... &source=48
20180818_222652.png
20180818_222652.png (709.29 KiB) Viewed 481 times
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Vorlis
hunger marcher
Re: [Belfast] Myler / DSNT Production Workshop _ 23rd Aug 18

Post by Vorlis »

Will be at that, thanks for the heads up mate!

Edit: Just snagged a ticket. Never been to a workshop like this, should be fun!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Deadly.

Was having a chat about it last night before i posted & couldnt remember for sure what NI folk were about. That's super!

Would you come back & let us know how you get on?

Its probably not being recorded :(

Have a good time man!
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

Yea np. Went back today to try and grab another ticket for a mate and they were all gone, they didn’t last to long!

Aye, doesn’t mention that it’s gettin recorded but I’ll report on how to make them bangerz no problem!

I should check bakebook now and again so I don’t miss these things...

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Have you been to any of their nights?

Looks like great Craic.. didn't know they had their own club now.

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

Yea been to a few, the most recent at a local festival in the woods and ended with a fuckin hardcore set lit on MD, was great!

The workshop was good craic and the tune was indeed a 132bpm banger! He went through the tune track by track then talked about the arrangement.

He started with two kicks, a main kick and a layer with some extra low & mid tone to it. Multiple layers of EQ, hpf from about 30hz and some additive EQ around 2.5k and 6.5k that made the main kick knock really nice. Then the sub/bass layer was introduced and bussed together with the kicks with a touch of EQ and compression.

Multiple layers of hi hats [4 or 5], mostly loops dropped into abletons sampler and triggered via midi dropping in and out at various pats of the arrangement. Heavy hpf on most parts.

At the break, 2 beats before the end of the bar everything is cut completely, no delay or reverb tails at all, complete silence, followed a 32 bar snare build. The pattern he used for the snare build was the same rhythmic pattern used on various parts throughout the track including the lead sound [AM radio samples] at the drop.

Next was a rolling percussive sound from a modular heavily EQ’d to fit, along with two spot effects/hits used throughout.

To create the mini breaks and introduce new sounds [two at a time] or change up the rhythm he fed elements to a reverb and delay send, both with high feedback settings with slight hpf on the main kick for a few beats, the usual.

Mostly ableton stock plugins apart from ‘Audio Damage Replicant 2’ for creating new rhythms with the parts he already had. And ‘Unfiltered Audio Dent 2’ distortion for lead and percussion layers.

https://www.audiodamage.com/products/ad039-replicant-2

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ent_2.html

Over all not a lot of elements to the tune, maybe 15 tracks total. Really just a walkthrough of the un-mastered piece. Was good fun and will be at the next one with sunil sharpe!

All in all I would have liked some time set aside for the sound design of the elements instead of “here’s a kick I made” ya know. The most interesting part for me was the arrangement ideas making the most of a limited palate of sounds, something I need to keep in mind and work on while playing live.