Best soundsystems you've heard in your non-humble opinion

General Chat // Music Discussion
SixOfOne
non reader
Re: Best soundsystems you've heard in your non-humble opinio

Post by SixOfOne »

Funktion One in Berghain is also my favorite. Having said that I much prefer to hear music other than techno through that system. I saw Alessandro Cortini there recently and it was just incredible. Also any Raster-Noton night I've been to in there sounded immense!

I do enjoy listening to techno on that system but sometimes the tracks can get lost behind this wall of low end. And then you have people like Function who just play too loud and sound terrible :lol:

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

This baby, hands down:

It sounds like black fucking magic.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

It's such a shame F1 is ubiquitous and people think it is great. When really it's decades old tech and many many systems outperform it, in some cases with far greater fidelity and resolution especially.
The shame is that what that means is that people aren't getting to hear what a really good sound system sounds like.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Lost to the Void wrote:It's such a shame F1 is ubiquitous and people think it is great. When really it's decades old tech and many many systems outperform it.
There was well researched and written article doing the rounds not so long ago that said much the same thing. Had a quick Google but couldn't unearth it. I also witnessed for fucking horrendous F1 installs too, I'm guessing it's not that forgiven if you don't know what you are doing too?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Very clever marketing by Tony, but the man does talk an aweful lot of woo.
People in some cases just say F1 is good because they have been told it's good.
I've been to gigs where there has been F1 and it has been setup shockingly badly, and still people walking away saying "oh the funktion one sounded amazing"

So many great soundsystems out there that really do sound truly great.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

There was this video of Tony Andrews talking complete nonsense about mp3s and digital audio doing the rounds years ago and everyone was like "he must be right, he's the F1 guy!!!". It's bizarre. But then again, most audio professionals above the age of 50 seem to be completely ignorant of any digital audio science.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:It's such a shame F1 is ubiquitous and people think it is great. When really it's decades old tech and many many systems outperform it.
There was well researched and written article doing the rounds not so long ago that said much the same thing. Had a quick Google but couldn't unearth it. I also witnessed for fucking horrendous F1 installs too, I'm guessing it's not that forgiven if you don't know what you are doing too?
If you find that article let me know, would like to read it. Thanks!

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Lost to the Void wrote:It's such a shame F1 is ubiquitous and people think it is great. When really it's decades old tech and many many systems outperform it, in some cases with far greater fidelity and resolution especially.
The shame is that what that means is that people aren't getting to hear what a really good sound system sounds like.
I just found that the high end was nice and present while still being smooth. That being said, I'm not really an expert on big soundsystems. Would be interested to hear Void Incubus

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

Haven't been to a lot of the big clubs, but I did really enjoy the room 1 system in fabric. From north america the best so far was stereo in montreal, the first system where i realized the whole "it's loud but you can still have a conversation on the dancefloor" was even a real thing. Here in toronto the best is probably at coda? even if I'm not crazy about their bookings. Though lately a lot of the techno parties have been in pop up locations, so the systems vary, but some have actually been surprisingly good.

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

Blitz Club in Munich is really nice. I believe it's the biggest Void sound system installed in a club. They also invested quit a bit into acoustics.

http://www.voidacoustics.com/public/ima ... mg/Bl4.jpg
P0607r0n wrote:P-bar could be more balanced true that.
While I don't like the sound too much, it's interesting that even the most boring house track sounds fucking bangin' in there.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Two instances at Dimensions three years ago -

Fist was when Dopplereffekt were playing on one of the outside stages by the fort - they had a Void system set up there was was unreal. Think we saw Moodyman afterwards and that was just a pleasure on that system.

Second was the Sunday night in the Moat stage. We were stood outside the moat right at the top of the hill (so not in the stage at all) and it was still as loud as some clubs I've been into. I've never heard so much sound in one place before, it was unreal. Note this isn't 'necessarily' good - it sounded pretty crap and probably was worse inside the moat but it still blew me away at the time.

In recent times, not much really. Dekmantel is the best festival i've been too but I don't remember being blown away by the sound so much.

The best system I've heard in a club has got to be Phonox right now. It's so 'rounded' and warm and comfortable, it's hard to explain but it just *feels* really really good in there. Makes you want to dance. I'm not sure what system they use, but I think it's more of the room design anyway - it's just a really well set up club IMHO.

EDIT: Though I've not been to MoS yet, need to go when there is a night that is palatable.